I seem to have backed myself into a corner

Asazman

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got Windows XP Pro with servicepack 2 installed on my 64-bit 3200+. This happened about a month ago, but somehow, in all my infinite wisdom, I managed to delete rundll32.exe. I tried downloading other copies and placing them in windows/system32, but it doesn't work.

So here is what I'm left with: I can open only programs specifically listed in the 'open with' menu..i can't add anything to it. So I can get on AIM, firefox, winamp word etc... but nothing else. When I try to go to system I get the following message:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

Application not found

And when I try to go to start > programs > accessories > system tools > systemrestore, the 'open with' menu comes up, and of course I cannot open it because it is not in the open with menu.

I'd really rather not reinstall but I will if necessary..does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks guys

System Restore is completely worthless, and there isn't really a reason to have it enabled anymore...but first...

Boot from your XP CD (one with SP2 slipstreamed in, if possible) and run a repair install.

Get to a command prompt and run sfc /scannow. That should fix it. If you can't get to a command prompt after a regular boot, you could try safe mode with command prompt.

gb25 said:
Get to a command prompt and run sfc /scannow. That should fix it. If you can't get to a command prompt after a regular boot, you could try safe mode with command prompt.

what does this do?

Asazman said:
what does this do?
It looks for any missing or corrupt system files and replaces them. It helps to use an XP CD of the same SP level that your install is.

Back