I need to reformat and lost windows 7 disk. What can I do?

Shadowprice

2[H]4U
Title says it all. I need to reformat my system badly and I cannot find my windows 7 disk at all. I do have the product key though.

I guess I may be taking this opportunity for windows 8. Could I just buy the windows 8 upgrade for $50 and will that disk allow me to reformat my hard drive or will I still need a windows 7 disk? Anyone know what options I have?

just download an iso from your preferred linux distro site :p (or see if a friend has one that you can borrow). As long as you have a key, I really don't see the harm.

I was running Windows 7 Home premium, I believe I had the x86 version? My programs folder shows (x86) by it. Sorry, new to this a bit.

if you can boot into windows just check it on my pc to see which version you have installed.

Otherwise.
If you have both program files and program files (x86) then its a 64bit version.

right click "my computer"
click properties

this should bring up a window called 'system'

from here it will list basic info about your computer, under the 'system' header it will list some basic information about your computer, proc, ram, and most importantly the system type you are using (x64/x86)

Control Panel > System > middle of that page it'll say System Type: it'll either say 32-bit or 64-bit Operating system.

Cool.. Thanks for the help guys. I'm downloading now.

Do you think it's easier to make it to a bootable USB drive or a DVD? I'm going to be formatting a SSD.

DVD is probably easier, USB gives a faster install time but is an involved process to create it.

Well crap.

Downloaded the ISO, and the Microsoft tool you linked above, and burned it to a DVD. I got my drives formatted, now Windows 7 won't install. It just hangs on Expanding Files and never moves past 0%, then tells me that it cannot install because files are missing or corrupt.

Anything I can do? My SSD/HD are erased at this point.

Well crap.

Downloaded the ISO, and the Microsoft tool you linked above, and burned it to a DVD. I got my drives formatted, now Windows 7 won't install. It just hangs on Expanding Files and never moves past 0%, then tells me that it cannot install because files are missing or corrupt.

Anything I can do? My SSD/HD are erased at this point.

I had this problem once. It turned out to be hanging b/c of something I had plugged into a usb port. An external drive I think. But mine was just hanging forever, if you have the missing or corrupt files message you probably burned a bad disc.

Back