I need more video displays!-- dell xps 730

surfbug

Limp Gawd
Hello

I have 2 dell w2209 screens on an ATI 512mb 9800

intel i7 proc with 3 gig ram

Can I run 1 or 2 more?

I would need "pole mounts" to stack them....

but, would I need an new vid card?

how would that work.....would someone point me in the right direction...

Thanks!

:D:D

Allen

o.O.gif
You have an ATI 9800 512MB?!? PCI-E?!?!? :confused: what? Are you sure on that model #???? The only ATI 9800 I know of was AGP, and there is no AGP slot on an i7 920 system. :p So, I'm guessing you're talking about the NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT? If so, that card most likely has 2 DVI outputs. If you want to run more monitors, you'll need another vidcard. What open slots do you have on your motherboard?

If you have a 9800GX2, you may have more than 2 outputs. Find out what model card you have.

I don't know how you would run more monitors than you have video output ports on your computer (unless all the screens are supposed to display the same thing). If you can't, you'll need an additional video card.

I use an Ergotron LX dual monitor arm (monitor+laptop or monitor+monitor), they have "arrays" for more than two monitors. Are your monitors "w2209" or 2209w? If they are in fact the 2209w, then they're VESA mounts, so you can get an arm easily (most monitors probably support this but you should check before dropping a few hundred dollars on the stand).

sorry about the wrong info

I have a 512mb card, it is ATI...but I dont know the number

I just bought the system in June

and....I need it for data/surfing.....more desktop space when I have multiple documents open

I am willing to buy another vid card

does it have to be the same one?

and, when I hook up a 3rd or 4th monitor, will they plug and play automatically>?

oh, the monitors are 2209wa's vesa mounts

I dont have a 9800 gx2--so prolly just a 9800

but I do have an s-video out on the card. in addtion to the two ports that the monitors are plugged into..(dvi?)
thanks

allen

could I plug a thir monitor into the s-video port?

I dont care if it is "digital clear"

just need more desktop/screen area

allen

S-Video typically shows up TV screens, not LCD computer monitors. And no there isn't a S-Video to DVI/VGA adapter out there.

Ok, you did not answer enginurd's questions about the open slots. So I'm gonna ask again:
What open slots do you have on your motherboard?

Oh and what OS are you using?

Oh and according to your sig, you have the ATI HD4850.

If you don't really care much about quality, you could try a DisplayLink dongle like the EVGA UV Plus+. Well, quality is fine, but updates are slow, it can't really handle playing video for example. Otherwise you could add a PCI x1 or PCI video card if you have those slots available, or even a second PCIe x16 card.

vista home premium,32 bit, yes the HD ATI-4850

that is my OS

I have one PCI (?) slot open .....it is right about the current vid card, and has the same pin config and color adapter to accept another card...so that is a PCI slot, right?

I am also going to look into this....

DisplayLink dongle like the EVGA UV Plus+. --thanks for suggesting

so, basically plug in another HD ATI-4850, plug two 22098 wa's into that , and circle the wagons into 88 inches of video love! :eek:

correct?

Thats a PCI-E slot, not PCI. But yeah all you need is a second ATI PCI-E card and u'll be set
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

No, you don't need the same card, but it would help. However, for data/surfing, an HD4850 is complete overkill, so pickup something from the same family, like an HD4550, as long as it has 2x DVI ports.

Why you need 4x 22" monitors (even 3)?

I'm a knowledge worker and am often working in many, many windows. I get good use out of my second monitor but I think I would just play with a 3rd. :D

thanks.... so its a PCI-E slot

and I could use a 4550, 4850 is overkill...the pricing looks about 30-50 dollars...

I would like to keep them the same. what is the difference speedwise?

why 3 or 5 mons? just to be cool! and, maybe run tv on one monitor, or play a dvd.

hey, I am drawing up leases (nyc real estate rental/sales agent) and I keep an eye on my email, and on the listings, and modify pdf and word files....just need more deskspace.

thanks!

so, I just plug and play? all 4 screens with work? I can click and drag a window smoothly to all 4 screens?

hey, anyone else out there runnign this? thoughts?

allen

Allen,

At home I am running 1 x HP 2475W (24") and 2 x Gateway 22" screens (Forgot the model number, nothing special). I am doing this with a 8800GTX (24") and 9500 GT (2 x 22").

It's a fairly simple process, though I would advise sticking with an ATI card, for driver's sake. It's easier to maintain one set of drivers, and (from what I have been told) less problematic.

As for setup, it's just as simple as having two monitors. I just popped in my 2nd video card, plugged things in the way I wanted, then had to arrange them in the computer interface. The setup goes 22 - 24 -22. So I have the middle monitor on its own video card. Regardless, dragging of windows is fine, perfectly smooth all the time.

I game on the center monitor, and watch movies on any of the three monitors with no problems. You'll be fine with a $50 or so video card.

Since you're not gaming, you won't notice any difference, speedwise.

Since you're not gaming, you won't notice any difference, speedwise.

he won't listen though, because he's a n00bie wants to be paranoid that the start menu won't open quickly enough

honestly, get an x1350 or whatever is the cheapest possible card that meets the following requirements:
PCIe
ATI Chipset

the UDA will cover it, and all will be well, up to four monitors (on two cards), if you want DXVA (if you don't know what it is or have never seen it before, you aren't using it), thats the third barebones minimum requirement, HD 4350 would be a good candidate at that point, no need to waste the money, power, etc for something more powerful

as far as the question you've asked 500 times:
yes it will plug'n'play after you get the new card, install it, and connect the monitors, you may want to consider something like UltraMon or DisplayFusion to give you some more features/control on a 4-head system, other than that, you should have no issues

he won't listen though, because he's a n00bie wants to be paranoid that the start menu won't open quickly enough

I don't know man, start menu rendering speed is pretty important. :p

I don't know man, start menu rendering speed is pretty important. :p

I am seeing a slow response time on opening up the start menu.....

do I ask that question here? or is that a software issue?

juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust kiddin'! :p

the n000000b.......hhahahha

thanks for all the info,

allen

this....

USB-VID PC-to-TV USB 2.0 Multi-Display to DVI Video Adapter

Overview
The USB 2.0 to DVI/VGA or HDMI Adapter from Cables™ Unlimited enables you to connect up to 6 monitors, LCDs, TVs or projectors to your PC or laptop. You can use it as an extended desktop or as a larger/different display from your main screen. With its USB 2.0 technology, it eliminates the need to open the computer or struggle with compatibility issues related to a second VGA card. You can easily expand spreadsheets over 6 monitors, read e-mail on one monitor and view the attachment on the other, make multi-screen presentations. Whether you want to use the USB 2.0 to DVI/VGA or HDMI Adapter with your laptop or with your desktop, you will enjoy the ease of use and quality of picture this device delivers.

Manufacturer Part# : USB-VID
Dell Part# : A2866608

===============

gonna try it, and see how it goes.......

al

HEY!

got the third monitor working with the dongle thing....but I really dont like that dongle, its cramping my style!

why>?

you need another dongle for another screen....and , it is a little slow...just moving things around the desktop, it bothers me...)maybe if I put it in a faster usb port, the computer suggested that ...

so.....

I found this card fo r50 bucks....prolly overkill, but what the heck!

QUESTION...

I have this__
PCI Express 2.0 bus architecture with three x16 graphics cards slots

the card I am getting has ________
PCI Express x16

does is matter that it is not PCI Express 2.0 ?

ATI 100-435843 Radeon X1950XTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express x16

ATI
Model 100-435843
Interface PCI Express x16
Chipset Manufacturer ATI
GPU Radeon X1950XTX
Core Clock 650MHz
PixelPipelines 16(48 Pixel shader processor )
Memory Clock 2000MHz
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Type GDDR4
3D API
DirectX DirectX 9
OpenGL OpenGL 2.0
Ports
DVI 2
TV-Out HDTV / S-Video / Composite Out
VIVO Yes
General
Tuner None
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
CrossFire Supported Yes
Cooler With Fan
Operating Systems Supported Windows XP/XP x64/MCE 2005
--------------------------------

so, any thoughts, am I on the right track?

Thanks

Allen

HEY!
I found this card fo r50 bucks....prolly overkill, but what the heck!

QUESTION...

I have this__
PCI Express 2.0 bus architecture with three x16 graphics cards slots

the card I am getting has ________
PCI Express x16
does is matter that it is not PCI Express 2.0 ?

OK, just to make sure: your mobo has three PCI-E x16 slots correct?

And no it does not matter that it is not PCI-E 2.0. However $50 for such an old card is a rip-off as you can get the significantly faster HD4670 or 9600GSO 512MB for $10 more, In addition, as you noted, it is complete overkill for 3-4 monitors. You're better off getting the HD 4350 or HD4550

/me agrees with Danny. You're not doing any 3D stuff, so the lower end cards can handle that with half of their RAM tied behind their backs.

OK, just to make sure: your mobo has three PCI-E x16 slots correct?

And no it does not matter that it is not PCI-E 2.0. However $50 for such an old card is a rip-off as you can get the significantly faster HD4670 or 9600GSO 512MB for $10 more, In addition, as you noted, it is complete overkill for 3-4 monitors. You're better off getting the HD 4350 or HD4550

oh, didnt know the price was bad

these vid cards confuse me\!!!!

so, I have been searching on new egg.... but the pricing seems to be all in the 80s and up

may I ask you post a link or two, the 4670 4550 4350 and 9600?

what would be a fair price for an older card like this? 30 dollars?

thanks!

al

now, be gentle...

but another question!

what is the difference with the 64 128 256 bit specification?

I know it wont matter for what I am doing, but when will that come into play during gaming\3d stuff?

allen

what is the difference with the 64 128 256 bit specification?

I know it wont matter for what I am doing, but when will that come into play during gaming\3d stuff?

Those numbers refer to the bus width or how much information the card can send through to the PC IIRC. Generally, the higher you go, the better your gaming and 3D performance is. However for what you're doing, doesn't matter whatsoever if you go with the 64bit.

There are 128bit cards that can perform just as well as 256bit cards as there are a lot of other factors that determines whether or not a video card is faster than another.

display update!

so, thanks for the info, I actually bought the card listed above, got it for 40 dollars thanks to the info you guys provided.

BUT....

(hahahahha)----:D:D:D

I was trying to load a printer, and load antivirus nod32, and was having porblems before....

so now, I have no machine! windows comes up blank...grey ..screen..

windows will start, but doesnt show me anything...

so, off to load win 7....I might have a backup disk, maybe reload vista, then wipe and load win 7---I dont have the drivers copied (should have done that) ...will I need the new drivers? or will win 7 have them and plug and play?

I was thinking about loading win 7 from a usb...any thoughts?

wish me luck! it will prolly be needed.... ;)

allen

Load Windows 7 from USB IMO. That is the way I did my last 3 or 4 installs. Very quick and very easy.

I also usually download software ahead of time just so it installs faster... do it from USB also.

thanks guys

will try this now..

---get ready for the questions!...hehehe-- allen

now, my xps dell system doesnt start ....

is there anything I should do to "prepare" the xps dell for the usb win 7 install? I dont think I can do much to the xps...

thanks

allen

ordered a 2209wa and a dongle.....

thanks for all the info

allen

Hope you also bought another video card to power that 3rd display.

Why do you need a dongle unless you're going with a 5770 or 5850 video card? Those are the only ones I can think of that need a dongle (displayport to dvi).

Never sell off a video card until you confirm that the new one is working!

so, I am returning the dongle

I bought the other card for 30 bucks from the local guy on Craigslist, but I have that in my AMD system, not the XPS.....I kinda like it!

so,, to load up the XPS to be ready for four monitors, I just purchased this....

XFX HD-465X-ZDF2 Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card -

It was $65 dollars from new egg....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150396

so, gonna give this a try!

thanks for all the info....allen

Back