i need help!!!

LancerJay

Weaksauce
while putting in some fans and removing them, i sorta jerked the fan (with little force) while taking it out and my computer shut off. after messing around with it, i figured out that my computer won't boot when i have the molex power connector hooked up to my video card. my computer will boot when i unplug it, and once i try to plug it back in, my computer immediately shuts off. if it's connected before i turn on the computer, the lights and fan come on for a split sec then immediately shuts off. right now i'm using my old geforce 2mx400.

my specs:
p4 2.4ghz @ 3.3ghz
stock cooling, stock voltage
geforce fx 5700 ultra
256mb pc2700
asus p4p800

if you need any more info on specs i'll just ask.

sad to know i can't boot up with my video card

any kind of response would help! i need something to work off of so i can act immediately.

Originally posted by LancerJay
while putting in some fans and removing them, i sorta jerked the fan (with little force) while taking it out and my computer shut off. after messing around with it, i figured out that my computer won't boot when i have the molex power connector hooked up to my video card. my computer will boot when i unplug it, and once i try to plug it back in, my computer immediately shuts off. if it's connected before i turn on the computer, the lights and fan come on for a split sec then immediately shuts off. right now i'm using my old geforce 2mx400.

my specs:
p4 2.4ghz @ 3.3ghz
stock cooling, stock voltage
geforce fx 5700 ultra
256mb pc2700
asus p4p800

if you need any more info on specs i'll just ask.

sad to know i can't boot up with my video card

any kind of response would help! i need something to work off of so i can act immediately.

You were plugging in stuff with your computer turned on?! Before you do anything like that, the computer should be turned off and probably unplugged, or... Well, something like this happens.

This is like the second person in the last few days that did this, we need to make a sticky or something... :p

Anyway, you probably blew your video card or something. Try a different vid card and see if it works. If that doesn't work, try a new power supply...

Man that really sucks. You might try sending the video card back to NVIDIA, I'm not sure what their policy is but they may be able to repair it.

i wasn't unplugging anything. i was just moving it around, at first i thought i just pulled out a wire or something. but i had to mess with a lot of stuff to narrow down the problem. i am currently using my old video card, but it doesn't use a molex connector. and i never changed the connector so i don't believe i used the "wrong" one, although i did try different ones but it made no different.

Even moving shit around while your rig is running is a recipe for disaster. You could cause a staic discharge or worse. Tr removing and reseating the video card. May be your knuckle knocked it slightly ajar. maybe the molex wire has a short in it. Could be anything.

Drop the another vidoe card in.Don't put that one in a friends machine to see if it works. If that card is fu() up it may damage another machine.

i've tried different molex connectors and none of them works. i've also tried a different video card, and it works but it doesn't require a molex connector.

same issue in another computer. computer refuses to power up completely as long as the molex power connector is connected to video card. i was hoping it was my PSU, but apparently it isn't :(

Back