I need help killing Mandrakes Lilo config

XorSystem

Weaksauce
I have my main harddrive (/dev/hda) as my Win XP partition, and a second harddrive (/dev/hdb) as a Slackware drive. Well I was having issues with the Kernel in Slackware, so I decided to jump down to a lower version of Mandrake to see if my hardware was the issue, or if it was the Slackware kernel.

Anyway, Mandrake loaded Lilo up on the secondary drive, with it's happy little graphics and what-not....

Well I found a fix for my hardware issue, so I deleted the partitions on the secondary drive and loaded up Slackware. Unfortunately, the crappy Lilo bootloader that Mandrake setup refuses to go away. I tried going through the windows repair disk and using 'fixboot' on it, but it didn't work. Tried partition magic, but unforutnately it was an older version and it didn't recognize the mbr of the secondary drive...

does anyone have any insites on what else I can do?

thanks

indeed I did...

It would fix the MBR of my primary drive with Windows XP on it (/dev/hda)...

BUUUUTTTT.... I suppose I have a MBR written to my secondary drive (/dev/hdb1)... which is pure linux...

how could I kill it on the secondary drive?

fdisk /mbr only works for win9x systems.

I would try unplgging the hdb and see what heppens. It sounds like it's not using the hdb boot record. The computer should boot of the primary master drive.

well this is how I used to boot it

since I didn't want the Win XP boot record fucked with, I put the MBR on the secondary drive with the Mandrake installation... then in Bios, I'd simply just boot from the secondary drive...

basically.... how in the heck do I kill the MBR on the second drive....

So you say you're having problems with an MBR on a drive other than your primary master?

Change the boot order in your BIOS and just ignore what's on the secondary drive.

that's what I'm doing right now, but I dunno, being a perfectionist, I suppose that I just want to get that damn boot record off the second...

ah well, fuck it for now, I'm starting to not care:)

Don't think fixmbr gives a shit about secondary drives since they just don't matter.

My suggestion would be to use dd to wipe the boot record on the secondary drive. Be careful tho... dont' wanna wipe the partition table too :eek:

Back