I need help convincing my mom...

burg

n00b
Well, after a summer of working at a crappy job, 40 hour weeks, all that crap, I've saved up $2000. I bought an mp3 player a week ago, which doesn't help my chances of getting the X30, but that's why I'm asking for help.

I want to buy the high X30, so, with shipping and tax, and a few little things *leather case, pens* It'll be just under $600, which is alot for something my mom doesn't seem to be very useful. She calls it an expensive day calender. I'm only 16 btw, and I am going into grade 12, then university.

So I need help convincing her I will be able to use this everyday, not just for mobile gaming either. I want to become an engineer, so math is a huge thing for me. Are there math programs for the X30? Graphing? Algebra? Physics? etc? What about writting notes? a definate keyboard requirement?

What about attachments? Things too add to the X30 to make it better? More uses?

you can use it for anything you want. tell her the college you want to go to requires a laptop (maybe she'll pay for it)

shouldnt you be in charge of your own money at your age? I mean you did earn it and all. anyways good luck with the mom :D

ask her that you gonna buy either the x30 or (name any more expensive and useless stuff) so she will get convinced with the x30.

this worked with me when i was at your age

i agree with mcjason.. you should be in charge of money you earned, when i was 16 i built my first computer and they didnt care as long as i paid for it.

as far as convincing goes, tell her its required for what you want to do, tell her all otehr alternatives are more expensive, and that it is YOUR money

I want to buy the high X30, so, with shipping and tax, and a few little things *leather case, pens* It'll be just under $600,

$600?!? Damn... I got my girlfriend a X30 high for just about $300 shipped... Bought a 512mb SD card for $75, a leather carrying case for $20... that still doesn't come anywhere close to $600... :confused:

You actually don't need a laptop for Grade 12. I would hold off of purchasing it until closer to next year. Prices will go down and you will probably find something else that you want.

But I do agree with the above posters. You should be in charge of your own money. It's good getting your parent's advice though. They just want you to spend your money wisely.

X30 as in the IBM Thinkpad?

or as in the Dell PDA?

I'm assuming it's the Dell PDA, cause no way in hell you could buy an IBM X laptop for $600. Plus, his mom called it an expensive dayplanner.

Anyway, you should spend your money as you see fit. It's nice to ask your parents and all, but you're *probably* old enough to know what to spend your money on, seeing as how you worked for it yourself.

Personally, I don't think a high schooler needs a PDA, because I've never seen anyone use one for any real constructive purposes. Even in college, I don't see people doing anything useful with them.

All the engineers I know use pen, paper, and Texas Instruments calculators, considering that PDAs are not allowed to be used as calculators on exams.

But that's my 2 cents. Spend it if you can justify it.

right right
get a used palm m515
$150 with case... etc...

much better allocation of money
and does nearly everything the x30 does
cept for wifi

your 16 you dont need a x30 less your working as the head of an it dept

Like Viper mentioned, you don't need a laptop or PDA (or whatever the hell it is) for your senior year. High school is different than university in respect to bringing in cool toys. Don't waste your money because the novelty will wear off fast after you show it off to a few buddies and have it taken away by a teacher :p

You don't need it (laptop or PDA) for high school really. Save the money for when you go to college and will need something. If you don't have one already but are of the engineering persuasion, get a TI-89 calculator. It'll be your best friend for years to come. I've had mine for 5 years and it's still going strong.

By the time you go to college, as others have mentioned, there will be newer, better and cheaper products on the market to do what you need when you might actually have a use for them. At this point I'm inclined to agree with your mom, it's an expensive day planner that you'll do nothing but play games on during class. I'm a senior in college now, planning my course of action for a masters and I don't even necessarily use my PDA all the time.

There aren't any real viable or useful math/eng programs out for PDAs IMO to make it worth spending $600. There are some programs for some things, but it's largely going to be a specialty piece you probably will not want to see the price tag for. There's a few nice graphing aps, etc etc, but a good graphing calculator will be a better purchase and you'll be allowed to use it during tests. Most profs probably won't appreciate a PDA for obvious reasons.

Back