i need a vista disc

knothead34

[H]ard|Gawd
i need a copy of a windows vista disc. i work for a non profit company that refurbishes pcs and we get vista machines on occasion with a legitimate liscense just no discs. need basic and premium.

you can probably just buy a vista OEM off a site like newegg, and continually re-use the disc for all your installs (since vista discs are generally universal, not counting ones supplied by major manufacturers like dell/hp/etc).

so thats def the way to go, pretty damn cheap too

edit: maybe you can contact MS directly to arrange a CD purchase/download

but yea, just go the basic OEM version purchase route.... least headaches, and if you have legit COAs for all those computers, you'll pretty much be mostly legit

a burned one would be fine.......if that doesnt break any rules concerning hardocp rules. i believe i have vista ultimate disc that came with my desktop im using now.

If those machines with "legitimate licenses" are for real, you need to contact the OEMs for assistance. If it's for a "legit" non-profit, I'm sure they wouldn't mind donating a few pressed "legit" pieces of media for you to get those machines operational once again.

This has been discussed countless times here over the years, and while many believe that owning the COA sticker is the end-all-be-all-defacto proof of legitimacy and ownership, the actual pressed CD or DVD is still considered a physical product with software on it and therefore it is classified as piracy to make a copy of it, even if the copy is intended to be given to someone else to replace a damaged or lost pressed disc and even it the intended party has a COA themselves.

The discs have the words "Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Disc" on them for a reason, as the only "legit" copy is a singular backup for the individual owner's uses in case of issues with the original - that's it, end of story, there are no other 'legit' reasons to have a copy of the original. It's not ok to make one just because a friend might need it, or someone gets a PC that came without one, etc. The only reason is an emergency backup of the original, period.

There's not much else to be said about it, realistically. As for how the Admins/ Mods feel about it, they'll chime in soon enough if and when they feel it necessary. Torrents, etc, all those methods are simply not 'legit'...

ps Just discovered this was my 6,666th post... it's like ultimate evil, squared or something... how very weird. :D

Last edited:
This has been discussed countless times here over the years, and while many believe that owning the COA sticker is the end-all-be-all-defacto proof of legitimacy and ownership, the actual pressed CD or DVD is still considered a physical product with software on it and therefore it is classified as piracy to make a copy of it, even if the copy is intended to be given to someone else to replace a damaged or lost pressed disc and even it the intended party has a COA themselves.

The discs have the words "Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Disc" on them for a reason, as the only "legit" copy is a singular backup for the individual owner's uses in case of issues with the original - that's it, end of story, there are no other 'legit' reasons to have a copy of the original. It's not ok to make one just because a friend might need it, or someone gets a PC that came without one, etc. The only reason is an emergency backup of the original, period.

There's not much else to be said about it, realistically. As for how the Admins/ Mods feel about it, they'll chime in soon enough if and when they feel it necessary. Torrents, etc, all those methods are simply not 'legit'...

ps Just discovered this was my 6,666th post... it's like ultimate evil, squared or something... how very weird. :D

I guess you're right, I renig on my recommendation.

OP: As Joe Average said there should be a serial number of some sort on those machines. Just contact the MFG and they can get you a booklet of new disks.

usually the mfg want money to replace the os discs so ill have to go another route. thanks for the suggestions guys.

You'll never get anywhere in life if you don't learn how to ask for things. :D

You work for a non-profit, or at least you stated you do, and you're "refurbing" computers to be re-used. There's not a company on the planet that would totally slam the door in your face if you make the request as someone that works for a non-profit and is asking for some help.

Just gotta stick your ground, use some confidence, and make the request. I'm certain the OEM will provide you with the discs or at least one if necessary.

Take a chance... you've got nothing to lose at this point but a little time, maybe a piece of company letterhead for a fax, etc. :D

I don't see how this is true. I know that HP machines don't come with ANY OS discs, not even a restore disc, it's all on the hard drive and you have to burn the discs through a utility. In that case the only physical thing you have is the COA unless you count a home burned disc.

I don't see how this is true. I know that HP machines don't come with ANY OS discs, not even a restore disc, it's all on the hard drive and you have to burn the discs through a utility. In that case the only physical thing you have is the COA unless you count a home burned disc.

I think Joe Average's point comes into play where HP can still provide OEM disks, however they MAY charge for them. HP is known to do that.

EDIT: This has already been mentioned. Usually the customers perserverence wins these types of arguments.

I think Joe Average's point comes into play where HP can still provide OEM disks, however they MAY charge for them. HP is known to do that.

EDIT: This has already been mentioned. Usually the customers perserverence wins these types of arguments.

I'm not getting you. If the software police were to come to my house and I had to prove to them that the copy of Vista Ultimate on my HP tx2z (not that I use Vista on it any more, Windows 7 was made for tablets) is legitimate the ONLY physical proof other than the receipt would be the COA.

JA was saying that the disc was the proof, not the COA. How can that be if you never got a disc? That's all I was saying. Every legitimate Windows machine has a COA but not necessarily discs.

True, but, if you didn't get a disc with the OEM machine, it's within the rights of the OEM to not provide them - but that OEM is still the only legitimate supplier of those pressed discs. Not getting a disc with a machine still doesn't mean you can just use a burned copy (or even a pressed disc that belongs to someone else).

I know all this is semantics for so many people, but regardless: there's a right and "legit" way to do things, and there isn't - there's no middle ground. You're either 100% legit or you're not.

Some people refuse to accept there's anything but being 100% legit so, I'm a Devil's Advocate for those people, I suppose... ;)

(and also because forums like this one flat out state "no warez" discussions or talk, and believe it or not, a very large portion of such discussions slide by - that doesn't necessarily make 'em ok...)

I agree with most of the legal stuff. My point was that the COA HAS to be the way you prove you are entitled to have Windows at all since in cases where its the only physical thing that comes with the machine.

As for the 100% legit thing, sure on paper that's correct. I'm not trying to encourage wrong doing in any way shape or form but being a Microsoft developer and having had MSDN for the last 13 years all I'll say is that there is the printed legal stuff and the way it works in the real world and Microsoft doesn't seem to mind.

I know all this is semantics for so many people, but regardless: there's a right and "legit" way to do things, and there isn't - there's no middle ground. You're either 100% legit or you're not.

I don't see how installing from different media isn't legit. If he's got a COA sticker on the machine and its properly activated then its 100% legit. I would reccomend using an official disk simply to avoid the "fun extras" that might be inserted into unofficial images, but whatever.

Windows 7 can be installed from a USB key, and you know lots of people will continue to do so once its officially released. Is that "legit?"

Windows 7 can be installed from a USB key, and you know lots of people will continue to do so once its officially released. Is that "legit?"

We'll find out on Oct 22nd if Microsoft actually releases a 4GB USB stick with Windows 7 on it, won't we? :D

Back