I lost my mortar and pestle! (Oblivion)

Eagle156

2[H]4U
Well I got it early in the game (forgot where) and I didn't know what it was for. So I threw it out and that was that. But now I know that you can make poison with it, but I don't know where I can get another mortar and pestle.

OMG are you kidding? I' ve literally sold well over 500 of these things. Just join the mages guild, and you can clear them out (and they don't mind it!).

Yeah each of the mage guilds actually have about 5-10 of the things laying around. They also have the other 3 items that get used as well. They just add longer duration, more potency, etc.

lol When I need money fast I go to the local Mages guild and take everything that isn't nailed down that is worth something. Then I turn around and sell it back to them at a profit to me. I also do this at the fighters guild.

But yeah, you can get a replacement for free if you are part of the mages guild.

Thanks, but one more question. I can't find anyone who can repair my sufferthorn (magical dagger) and it's at around 45% health. Is there a trader somewhere who can repair it for a deceant price?

Eagle156 said:
Thanks, but one more question. I can't find anyone who can repair my sufferthorn (magical dagger) and it's at around 45% health. Is there a trader somewhere who can repair it for a deceant price?

Can you repair it yourself?

CEpeep said:
Can you repair it yourself?

He most likely isn't a Journeyman Armorer, which is the only way you can repair magical items, which is what Sufferthorn is.

moralpanic said:
OMG are you kidding? I' ve literally sold well over 500 of these things. Just join the mages guild, and you can clear them out (and they don't mind it!).

QFT - haha, i cant belive that you didn't know what those were for, lol. I'm not making fun, but it is pretty funny :p

Eagle156 said:

I think I got my magical items repaired at "A Fighting Chance" in the imperial city market.... I'm working to get my repair up to journeyman. I've been clearing out caves and forts and repairing the armor/items of everyone I kill, im around 42, I think I need 50 for journeyman... Kinda sucks not being able to repair magical items. I don't really even carry them since I can't repair. There are some really great bows I've found, like one that silences.

moralpanic said:

You can also take all the weapons in the arena training room and sell those, they don't mind and they're not counted as stolen.

do advanced versions of the alchemy instruments have better properties? i found an advanced alembic in a dungeon and im using that instead of a regular one.

andypnb said:
do advanced versions of the alchemy instruments have better properties? i found an advanced alembic in a dungeon and im using that instead of a regular one.

Yep, each one of the 4 gives a boost, I think it goes something like this:

1) positive effect duration
2) positive effect magnitude
3) negative effect duration
4) negative effect magnitude

Something along those lines.

Hupo said:
where can i go to pay to learn better alchemy?

I go collect plants and stuff, then make potions, skills increases pretty fast that way, and doesnt cost you anything, infact, the potions you make are worth much more than the plants and stuff you collect.

Yea, takes time, but i play Oblivion so it last me long, no stealing, no cheating, i dont join any factions just to take the stuff they have, i play it completely straight and work my way up, it will take a loooong time, but that's how i want it, i've played for 3 days now, and only closed one oblivion gate, and that was just to try it out, now i'm just skilling, the hard way, and take the side quests, to build up before going on the main quest.

This game will last some monts i'm sure, i wanna see it all, discover it all, take all side quests, become master in all skills, all doing it the hard way, like i only used the fast travel a couple of times. :D

"this game can be beaten in 20 hours...." some might say, yeah right, not if you wanna do it all the hard way, which i intend to.

Same way for me. if I buy training I buy it for fair money. Now I am a thief so it´s fare but no thief in the world would steal stuff from the guilds and then sell it back to them. If he would do it he would make damn sure he isn´t seen doing it.

The game just doesn´t get as fun when you exploit it use auto run to level sneak, athletics etc it´s more fun if you try to play it straight.

I hardly never use a horse. I gain experience while walking and my character is kind of speedy anyway. Though I may guess if I am a knight in heavy armour I would want a horse :)

But alchemy is easy and fun as heck to level. Just collect every plant you see and make potions. I am thinking of going to the finest alchemist that has tons of stuff then buy their entire supply and spend an evening making potions. Should be able to make some crazy money that way :). That is fair too because I make stuff that merchant obviously don´t can/have the equipment or don´t want to spend time doing :)

lol nice

yes i discovered that last night, i buy all the plants i can and make 9087038954393 potions

The thing that I've noticed about potions is that you can buy out a merchant's entire stock for less than you can sell the potions for. IT's kind of nice to be able to go to a shop, spend 100-200 gold, and come out with 800-1000 more than you started with.

Then again, I'm a master alchemist so I can create anything out of anything.

JRPereira said:
The thing that I've noticed about potions is that you can buy out a merchant's entire stock for less than you can sell the potions for. IT's kind of nice to be able to go to a shop, spend 100-200 gold, and come out with 800-1000 more than you started with.

Then again, I'm a master alchemist so I can create anything out of anything.

How did you get up to master? Did you do training or just keep making simple potions? I have some decent alchemy gear of mixed levels and I think I'm a journeyman.

It´s very easy especially if you have it as major skill of course. Just making tons of potions collecting plants. I was in seventh heaven today when I went to the garden outside arcane university and found tons and tons of flowers. Go there collect everything you can and get to work ;)

I haven´t found any alchemy trainers yet though. Overall they are very hard to find and when you find them they don´t want to train you. I found a good armour trainer though. Saved my life sucked not being able to repair enchanted weapons. Took tons of gold and time since you can only train 4 times per level or something but now I can repair magic weapons :). I am not sure on what level I am on Alchemy would think I am having 70 or something at least.

Eagle156 said:

if you are trying to find someone to charge it you can go to the basement of the mages guild in bruma and talk to a guy and he will do it for you. but if you are trying to repair it follow directions from the guy a few posts before this

Eagle156 said:

Any armorer who repair stuff can do it.

Devnull said:
How did you get up to master? Did you do training or just keep making simple potions? I have some decent alchemy gear of mixed levels and I think I'm a journeyman.

Alchemy is ridiculously easy to level... just don't put it in your major skill. Unfortunately i did, and was leveling like mad in alchemy alone. Now i'm screwed so i haven't done alchemy in awhile.

Mages guilds are great for soul gems also.
I have about 40 mixed soul gems and I think 30 of them are from the mages guilds.. LOL

Majin said:
Mages guilds are great for soul gems also.
I have about 40 mixed soul gems and I think 30 of them are from the mages guilds.. LOL

What about the black soul gems? I haven't found any except in a quest and I didn't get to keep them.

Devnull said:
What about the black soul gems? I haven't found any except in a quest and I didn't get to keep them.
When I found the 2 black soul gems in the chest I wanted to keep 1, that way I can use that deadric shrine.

Anyone know where you can find Black Soul Gems?

what do soul gems do?? do you equip them to weapons or something and if so how?

Estaban said:
what do soul gems do?? do you equip them to weapons or something and if so how?
They Charge your enchanted items.

Some enchanted items have a set number of uses before they run out of power. Soul Gems allow you to recharge the items on the fly, so you don't have to find a Mages guild.

I don't know what Black Sould gems do, but I have a feeling it's useful.
I need the Black Sould Gems for a quest and I have no Idea where to get them. Anyone know?

The question I have is, where can I find mortars/pestles, alembics, and the like ... of levels other than novice? I think I read/saw somewhere that you have to find them on your journeys, but I've never seen one yet.

Mind you, I haven't visited a couple of the cities in my travels, so perhaps they're there, or even in the Arcane University (believe it or not, I still haven't been there!)...

The best stuff I've gotten by checking vendors periodically, and ocassionally getting lucky.

I started with all four pieces at Novice

Eventually I found four pieces of Apprentice, but not at the same time.

Got 4 pieces of Journeyman, same deal as Apprentice.

Found Expert Albemic... to be honest, I'm not sure where. I think a dungeon, probably ayleid ruin.

Found Master Albemic. Mythic Dawn :)

Majin said:
When I found the 2 black soul gems in the chest I wanted to keep 1, that way I can use that deadric shrine.

Anyone know where you can find Black Soul Gems?

You can make Black Soul Gems...

All you have to do is find a Grand Soul Gem and an Altar. There are 4 altars in the world, all right outside forts, but the easiest one to find is almost straight north of the east entrance to Skingrad. You'll know the altar when you see it, and if you try to use it you'll know for sure because it will act like a container.

Anyway, all you have to do is put the Grand Soul Gem in the altar (like it's a chest) and cast Soul Trap on the altar BAM - Black Soul Gem (and no more stolen tag if it was stolen!)... However, there is a catch. This will only work on one particular day of the week for each altar. You can tell it's the right day because there will be a beam of light shining from the sky onto the altar. It will only work on days when that light is present. So you may have to wait up to six days to get that light to appear.

arentol said:
You can make Black Soul Gems...

All you have to do is find a Grand Soul Gem and an Altar. There are 4 altars in the world, all right outside forts, but the easiest one to find is almost straight north of the east entrance to Skingrad. You'll know the altar when you see it, and if you try to use it you'll know for sure because it will act like a container.

Anyway, all you have to do is put the Grand Soul Gem in the altar (like it's a chest) and cast Soul Trap on the altar BAM - Black Soul Gem (and no more stolen tag if it was stolen!)... However, there is a catch. This will only work on one particular day of the week for each altar. You can tell it's the right day because there will be a beam of light shining from the sky onto the altar. It will only work on days when that light is present. So you may have to wait up to six days to get that light to appear.

You are awesome!

DudeItsMe said:
The best stuff I've gotten by checking vendors periodically, and ocassionally getting lucky.

I managed to purchase an apprentice-level (I think...) alembic and calcinator--something like that; it was two out of the four. I think it was from the alchemy merchant in Cheydinhal (maybe...I suck at the names of the cities).

Back