I have the 42 Inch LG C2 and want something smaller

Back in the days of Battlefield 4, I used a 50 inch 1080p, top model LG plasma TV as my PC gaming display. It was somewhere around 3 - 4 feet away. Looked amazing. I loved the experience.

On a 50" 16:9

3' (36") = around 49 degree viewing angle
4' (48") = around 62 degree viewing angle

Human central / binocular field of view is 60 to 50 degrees so viewing angle wise that tracks perfectly. 👁️ 📐 (y)

936965_Field-of-view-comparisons-The-field-of-vision-of-a-human-showing-the-binocular.png

The 31 to 39 PPD pixel sizes to your perspective that gets on a 1080p screen is pretty low though , esp. by todays standards. 🏁

I always disliked the contrast and black depth of LCDs. Plasma must have looked really nice in that respect.

On a 50" 16:9

3' (36") = around 49 degree viewing angle
4' (48") = around 62 degree viewing angle

Human central / binocular field of view is 60 to 50 degrees so viewing angle wise that tracks perfectly. 👁️ 📐 (y)

936965_Field-of-view-comparisons-The-field-of-vision-of-a-human-showing-the-binocular.png

The 31 to 39 PPD pixel sizes to your perspective that gets on a 1080p screen is pretty low though , esp. by todays standards. 🏁

I always disliked the contrast and black depth of LCDs. Plasma must have looked really nice in that respect.
I am trying the Dell 32 inch curved for a week and then making a final decision. The 42 inch non curved is often to big and I end up losing my mouse pointer, which is never happened on any other monitor I have had.

Looked awesome to me. Especially considering the overall color richness and contrast depth of the image. I still feel that way, really. The PPD of a game in 4K doesn't matter to me, if the display has poor contrast and/or poor viewing angles.

I am surprised that there is no 16:9 monitor between 32 and 42 inches. I think a 37” size would be great personally, especially in offices. Strangely this used to be a common TV size but I guess everyone has moved on to newer sheet of glass sizes for the panel makers.

Reactions: elvn
like this
I am surprised that there is no 16:9 monitor between 32 and 42 inches. I think a 37” size would be great personally, especially in offices. Strangely this used to be a common TV size but I guess everyone has moved on to newer sheet of glass sizes for the panel makers.

me:

30 inch view distance is asking a bit much for a normal desk sitting with peripherals on top, screen surface to eyeballs but you can get 64PPD to 70 PPD at a healthy 60 deg to 55 deg viewing angle on a 32" 16:9 screen at 24 inch to 27 inch view distance, respectively.

So a 32" 4k is just about perfect size for mounting on a desk. I'd go as far as a 36" 4k on a desk though personally. At 60 deg viewing angle it would still only be at 27 inch view distance. Any bigger than that and you are better off decoupling the screen from the desk entirely using a simple thin spined floor tv stand with a flat foot or caster wheels (or wall mounting but that's much less modular and less adjustable) and moving the desk farther back from the screen.

That's in regard to full screen media and game viewing though, not the similar to a "multi monitor setup w/o bezels" desktop real-estate scenario where you might move your eyes and head around more to different app/window/"screen" spaces separately rather that viewing a full field show or game. Having parts of the screen space outside of your central viewing angle wouldn't be a big problem there, within reason.

You don't move your head around as frequently in that scenario as you are focusing on one app at a time typically. In media or a game you are following the bouncing ball so to speak, or like watching a tennis match from the midline. A better example might be tracking a fly buzzing around a room randomly. There is so much dynamic action going on from entites on screen plus the camera or virtual camera's pathing plus huds, notifications, pointers, chat, etc far field that it's fatiguing.

. . . .
edit: 38" 4k is a pretty good fit if it's a considerably deep enough desk

26.5 inch view distance = 60 PPD = 64 deg viewing angle
24 inch view distance = 55 PPD = 69 deg viewing angle
. . . .

I understand the need for those kinds of screen formats.. especially seeing images posted online of a lot of people forced to cram larger gaming tvs onto a desk in order to get the specs and value available from those sizes of gaming tvs. I think if given the option a lot of those people would have gone with a 32" to 36" screen with the same specs instead, for a better fit. I've grown to like the command center, longer view type of setup with larger screen(s) personally though. That works particularly for my tastes since modern 4k rez is available for those distances now where it wasn't before, and I'm Looking forward to a 55" - 65" 8k gaming tv someday. Keeping an eye on XR glasses through 2027+ too where they hopefully get much higher resolution with some glasses from major players like apple and competitors.

Last edited:
Hmmm, looks like I may have found what I am looking for with the Neo G8. If I keep it, I will need to pick up a monitor stand for it, since the stand it comes with does not allow me to push the monitor all the way back

edit: 38" 4k is a pretty good fit if it's a considerably deep enough desk
I have the 42' LG C2 as well. I've contemplated downsizing into an Ultrawide again, but just can't get myself to do it. My desk is large and I sit back quite a bit so the size of the C2 doesn't bother me.

Yeah but that trangular layout has its own issues. Not saying its better or worse. Just saying it's different than most and some people find the fringing on the top and bottom annoying. Let us know how it goes though!

I double checked on rtings and, at least according to their site, this Neo G8 and the standard left to right RGB subpixel layout. :) Scared me there for a second.

I double checked on rtings and, at least according to their site, this Neo G8 and the standard left to right RGB subpixel layout. :) Scared me there for a second.
Oh! I apologize. I was thinking that you were thinking of getting the ultrawide OLED! :D Yes you're right the G8 VA panel is your standard left-to-right RGB affair. My bad!

EDIT - and you posted a link. :) I was confusing the G8 for the "Odyssey G8" which is their OLED monitor. Oh Samsung, figure out your naming.

Now, maybe it is just me but, I think the colors on the Neo G8 are better than the LG C2, at least for PC usage. I even did a full reset of the LG C2 and set it back up but, it still does not look the same or as good as Neo G8, at least to me. Maybe that is because the G8 has a matte coating and the LG has a high glossy coating.

Last edited:
Now, maybe it is just me but, I think the colors on the Neo G8 are better than the LG C2, at least for PC usage. I even did a full reset of the LG C2 and set it back up but, it still does not look the same or as good as Neo G8, at least to me. Maybe that is because the G8 has a matte coating and the LG has a high glossy coating.
I have an LG 48GQ900 OLED monitor, and it has a matte coating. That works for me. Want matte, get the monitor. Want glossy, get the TV. I went with the LG monitor because the Asus and Gigabyte OLED monitors Microcenter had were too glossy for my office. I like a shiny screen in my living room for watching TV, but the windows and overhead lighting in my office cause too much glare on a shiny screen. I live in an older house and my living room doesn't have any built-in lighting and has full curtains + sheers.

As far as colors go I'm pretty pleased with the LG 48GQ900. Now I don't do pro graphics work, haven't calibrated it, etc., but it looks nice with HDR enabled on the desktop. It's much better than the Samsung Neo G7 43" VA LCD I had briefly. That thing was way oversaturated if you enabled HDR. That's not the main reason I took it back though. I took it back because HDMI kept glitching (connected to an EVGA 3090) and it wouldn't wake up from sleep on DisplayPort. Bought a couple new cables and no difference. After that I wasn't really looking at Samsung stuff, so I didn't compare it to the G8. The Samsung also had a bunch of smart TV stuff in it which was kind of annoying. It cluttered up the menus and I'm never going to use that crap when it's connected to a far more powerful computer. I also haven't compared it to the C2. The C2 is glossy and wasn't considered for that reason. Someday I'll get an OLED TV. Could be not too long from now or a while... depends on when I get around to painting the living room unless my old TV dies.

Well, I did not want to return the Neo G8 because I was completely enjoying it. However, I had to make a more important decision and purchase something else I did need, such as a bed as well as a washer and dryer. Sometimes, things are just the way they are.

Reactions: elvn
like this

To me, glossy is much more lush, wet, and colorful than matte abraded AG.. Matte is an abraded layer that gets activated by the very light it's supposedly "erasing" by diffusion, but it really isn't getting rid of it. Light pollutes the calibrated/factory calibrated + tweaked screen parameters. Ambient lighting activates the ag layer turning blacks to grey-blacks (even on matte oleds) , direct light sources turn to blob sheens, and the abraded layer compromises clarity slightly, esp on fine text in my experience. To me it's almost like covering furniture in plastic or something lol. I realize some environments can't help but be hit by lasers but for my media/gaming areas I try to design the room around the screen and sound system rather than the other way around if at all possible.

I did find that the default game mode on the 48cx when I got it was not as saturated as I'd like compared to the other picture modes, so I turned up the saturation in game mode, a bit more than necessary actually and then adjusted from there on games (downward) using reshade to find a sweet spot on a per game basis. HDR games have their own curve so they looked very vibrant in the HDR version of game mode, it was only SDR games on SDR game mode that I tweaked.

I have matte abraded on my legion 5 pro laptop which I bought for it's other overall specs and pricing but I'd really prefer if it was glossy.

================================================================

The G8 definitely gets brighter highlights (thus brighter colors) in certain less-contrasted scenes than a C2 - but real scenes with mixed bright contrasted by darks are actually lower brightness overall than the C2 apparently at 422 nit on the G8 vs 575 nit on the C2. It's color ranges aren'tt much different according to the values in the bottom text I typed out at the bottom either. A lot of tradeoffs between the two overall though either way if you go over every facet.

G8: "The real scene brightness is low considering it gets bright with small highlights, so that means content with bright objects all over the screen doesn't get the brightest.
Setting Local Dimming to 'Low' actually makes real scenes brighter because it raises the overall black level, but small highlights don't pop as much"

G8: "the EOTF doesn't follow the target PQ curve well as it crushes blacks and over-brightens brighter details."

Both G8 and Lg C2: "There's also a sharp cut-off at the peak brightness, causing a loss of fine details in bright scenes."

. . . .

RTings samsung G8 (custom mode) vs. LG C2 OLED (game mode)

screen_samsung.G8.neo.FALD.VA_RTings.Brightness.png

screen_LG.C2.OLED_RTings.Brightness.png

RTings Color Results:

neo g8 *Monitor* Review, "Custom" mode
------------------------------------------------------------

SDR color gamut: sRGB Coverage xy 97.7% . . Adobe RGB Coverage xy 85.1%
SDR color volume: sRGB In ICtCp 98.6% . . Adobe RGB In ICtCp 90.0%

HDR color gamut: DCI-P3 Coverage xy 89.8% . . Rec. 2020 Coverage xy 67.9%
HDR color volume: DCI-P3 In ICtCp 84.7% . . Rec. 2020 In ICtCp 66.7%

LG C2 *Monitor* review, "Game Optimizer" mode
----------------------------------------------------------------

SDR color gamut: sRGB Coverage xy 96.7% . . Adobe RGB Coverage xy 85.9%
SDR color volume: sRGB In ICtCp 98.3% . . Adobe RGB In ICtCp 92.6%

HDR color gamut: DCI-P3 Coverage xy 96.2% . . Rec. 2020 Coverage xy 69.3%
HDR color volume DCI-P3 In ICtCp 75.5% . . Rec. 2020 In ICtCp 58.6%

Last edited:
A good bed is perhaps one of the best purchases you can make.
Same for the chairs we sit in at our computers. It’s easy to prioritize fast GPUs and fancy monitors but don’t forget the thing you’re sitting in for hours a day (for many of us). Makes a world of difference!

Edit: I did repurchase the Neo G8 a couple of weeks after returning it, since nothing at that moment seemed to even compare, even the Neo G6 I tried. I am not broke by any means, just wanted to try and budget properly.

Heck, I forgot about this thread. :) So, I have been using the Samsung Neo G8 and have mostly been enjoying it for the last 4 weeks. However, since I have 2 days of return window left, I decided to try out the OLED G9 and very much enjoy it as well. Now I am not certain which one to keep but, games that support 32:9 looks stunning and even old GOG games look good.

Back