I have just be given another PS2...any ideas for mods?

y_T

Weaksauce
Originally posted by Jason711
id make some sort of plexi pyramid. have some sort of intake vents going all around the base with a fan and an exhaust port up top..

and make it as small as possible.

I was thinking about doing just that with my xbox. The luXor case. I was gonna have a problem making it look flush with the fans and cd drive and stuff, but I came up with an okay concept.

I was gonna put fans at the bottom and have them push air out (the pyramid would probably have feet). Only problem is, hot air rises :( But I don't think consoles generate THAT much heat. The case would be 5 sided; 4 sides and a bottom, all out of smoked dark dark plexi. Anyways, I was going to make the cd drive stealth so I would cut out a piece of plexi on the side and attach it at an angle so it would look fine. To shoot the light through the top I thought about ordering some of those LED tail lights for 18 wheelers. I figure, they're just HUGE clusters of LEDs behind red plastic, but the problem is, I'm no electronics guru, I don't know how to supply it with power properly, and that's pretty much it.

I kinda decided against doing this mod, so it's open season if you wanna use my ideas. :D Just let me know! It would be awesome to see the ps2 in this type of scenario!

Here's what I've been doing with one of my spares. I'm waiting to find a drive part so it's more or less on hold untill I come across another (correct model) donor system. However, this is from a dead system I got from a relative and parted out.

aaw.sized.jpg

Going to get a full paintjob, going to splice in the USB front ports to plug into the ps2's, and move the controler/mem card block to the rear and/or get a wireless setup for them. I've already gotten a PS2 to VGA converter box so that it runs through a computer monitor. Lots of empty room to play with, the PS2 to TV adapter will most likely be internalized.

Here's a mockup shot, going to work things around a bit once I figure out what exactly is going to be internal. It runs quite nicely as is except for the broken part in the drive (slider arm that raises the read head assembly). The power supply location has
moved closer to the mainboard, I found a way not to have to make a jumper.
aav.jpg

Underside of swing up (former) cdrom/hdd/floppy assembly on the gateway case:
aau.jpg

Here's the setup with the ps2-tv adapter running, pretty clean image:
abk.sized.jpg

Wait is that a PC DVD drive or just a housing? Does the PS2 drive still work if so have you though about maybe selling it to someone? (I really need to find a replacement drive)

Damn astro, thats awsome!!!!

For all you guys that have extra ps2's that you dont care about, keep in mind I dont have one at all ;)

I have a few extra parts laying around. I have a first day ps2 laying apart in a drawer but the read head's fried out. If you need any other parts I have first model stuff from that but the rest are spoken for. One at the gf's, the parts one in a drawer, the one above, and one unmolested. Just see if any of your friend's machines are having read problems and buy them up, thats what I do. I offer to fix them but about 1/4 of the time they say no just have it/buy it. I've gotten 5 ps2's so far, 3 i've bartered repair/fabrication services for, 1 for free, and one for 25 dollars. Most times the laser read head just needs a cleaning or the magnet that holds the disk in has gone weak. The POS won't work with a standard lens cleaner (all that well) so you gotta get in there and clean it by hand (i use isopropyl alcohol sparingly and lightly brush it with a q-tip). I also clean the grip pad on the spindle, usually gets them as good as new.

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
Wait is that a PC DVD drive or just a housing? Does the PS2 drive still work if so have you though about maybe selling it to someone? (I really need to find a replacement drive)

its all PS2 inside.

Originally posted by ASTROdog
I have a few extra parts laying around. I have a first day ps2 laying apart in a drawer but the read head's fried out. If you need any other parts I have first model stuff from that but the rest are spoken for. One at the gf's, the parts one in a drawer, the one above, and one unmolested. Just see if any of your friend's machines are having read problems and buy them up, thats what I do. I offer to fix them but about 1/4 of the time they say no just have it/buy it. I've gotten 5 ps2's so far, 3 i've bartered repair/fabrication services for, 1 for free, and one for 25 dollars. Most times the laser read head just needs a cleaning or the magnet that holds the disk in has gone weak. The POS won't work with a standard lens cleaner (all that well) so you gotta get in there and clean it by hand (i use isopropyl alcohol sparingly and lightly brush it with a q-tip). I also clean the grip pad on the spindle, usually gets them as good as new.

Nice, im still looking for that free one thats waiting for me somewhere, but all my friends are currently working haha

Back