I have it narrowed down to 3 choices for my first pair of nice headphones

gregr

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I have been trying to decide on what headphones to upgrade to for a while now, and I think i have it narrowed down to a few choices. Let me first tell you what I think I have narrowed my choices to:

Sennheiser hd580
Audiotechnica a500
Audiotechnica a900

I have already posted some of this info, but I figure I might as well say it again:

My budget is 200 and under, but of course lower is better. As for my use of the headphones, my main concern is games. Accurate sound positioning is very important because the game i play most is counter-strike:source, and knowing where someone is coming from is the difference between living and dying.

I do listen to music sometimes as well. I listen to all kinds of music from Pachelbel to Van Halen to Slipknot. I listen to rock and classic rock the most though.

In the immediate future I don't plan on getting an amp. If I really enjoy my headphones I may get one later, but as for now I don't plan on it. Mobility is not an issue, these are for pc use only.

As far as closed/open goes, it really doesn't matter to me. I mostly game in my room where it is quiet, so it doesnt really matter if outside noise gets in. Although I have heard at similar pricepoints that open sounds better than closed?

Comfort is quite important to me. I can't stand my current headphones because they push against my ears and are unusable for more than 2 or 3 hours. I would like for them to be the kind that completely surround your ears and don't push on them.

My sound card is an audigy 2 zs. I plug my headphones into the controller for my speakers (altec lansing 641's).

Well guys thanks for the help, let me know if you need any more info

a friend of mine has a pair of a900's i like em for what you just described

I would say forget the ATH500s and if you don't plan on adding an amp later forget the HD580's as well.

Like I said in that other thread at that other place ;)...A900's all the way. Unamped, comfortable, and low impedance should make you very happy.

sculelos said:

I wonder how you can make that recommendation. You just started a thread wondering if they are worth the money, and I assume that you haven't received and tested the headphones in the 29 minutes between the posts.

Anyway, stay away from surround sound headphones, it seems like you already know what you want. From everything that I've heard, the A900 are a fine choice. However, if you believe that you might have an extra $100 to spend on an amp in the future, you won't regret the HD580. If you're wondering whether or not you will really enjoy your headphones, I can tell you right now that good sound will make your jaws drop :)

Back