I have Eizo S2433W, Eizo FX2431 and a Dell U2410.

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
At the moment I have an Eizo S2433W, Eizo FX2431 and a Dell U2410 here in the office,
monitors are uncomparable.

S-PVA from Eizo are incredibly better than the IPS from Dell in every aspect from color accuracy, to black level to contrast and to the sharpness of the image you feel.

Thanks to all the people who suggested me an S-PVA monitor.

Very nice

How about a few more thought on you Eizo monitors.

I know they are out there but they are not monitor most people would choose, some real end user experience would be great.

I ask as they are something I'm considering.

thx

when you see them you feel that that they are high end monitors, sure I'm comparing it with a middle end IPS (Dell U2410) with a quality S-PVA but they are much better than Dell.

The sRGB presets of my S2433WFS is simply great, I work a lot in this color space but I'm not using monitor for pre-printing, surely they lack the hardware emulation but the sRGB preset is great for most users, surely better than what offer the Dell that isn't able to reproduce even a gray scale with a comparable quality of the eizo.

With this PVA I discovered colors and part of the images I use to work that I haven't seen before with other monitors.

Any comments regarding the coating on the display? How about response times?

I am sure you have a nice screen but that is:

1: Eizo LCD
2: $1000.00 monitor - Did you buy it or your company?
3: Dell U2410 is half the price
4: Most people will never buy this unless they are seriously contemplating an outrageous professional display solution.

Its like comparing a Bugatti Veyron to a Ferrari. Sure they are both expensive and quick cars but the Bugatti is double the price and double the performance.

Im not defending Dell but I am defending the fact that these are two totally different classes of LCDs and most people here will be disappointed when they cancel their u2410 orders to find out they cant afford the Eizo.

I would NEVER pay $1000 for a single LCD unless that LCD was going to be my income such as a Photographer, hardcore web designer, or Medical Professional.

Last edited:
Actually I would pay $1000 for a 24 incher, if it was the perfect panel and I never had to replace it again :p

Soooo sblantipodi, is the 2433W the perfect screen? What about video and games? (forget its your office monitor huh)

Actually I would pay $1000 for a 24 incher, if it was the perfect panel and I never had to replace it again :p

Soooo sblantipodi, is the 2433W the perfect screen? What about video and games? (forget its your office monitor huh)

To each their own. I was saying I personally. Not speaking for everyone. Although you make a good point. If it was the PERFECT and it better be damn perfect.

I am going to drop 1200 for 3 ZR24Ws in the next few days unless I can miraculously find something better for the price.

I would like to know about the AG coating.

The U2410 is as bad as it gets in terms of AG coating, are the Eizo S-PVA models any better?

I would glady pay Eizo's asking price, but won't even consider it if they too have the nasty coating,

The U2410 is as bad as it gets in terms of AG coating, are the Eizo S-PVA models any better?

I would glady pay Eizo's asking price, but won't even consider it if they too have the nasty coating,

To my understanding with Eizo you get a ferrari (I know all the car analogies :rolleyes:)

Anyways to the OP if I were going for a single display hands down this would be my choice or even better one of their IPS panels. I think Eizo makes their own panels from scratch, I could be wrong. Anyways I think Im just going to hit the buy button on these HPs.

{quote=NCX]The U2410 is as bad as it gets in terms of AG coating, are the Eizo S-PVA models any better?[/quote]

A colleague of mine uses the U2410 as main monitor at work and i briefly owned a S2243 (22" WUXGA S-PVA). Admittedly, I didn't do any real head-to-head comparison, but it was very obvious that the AG coating on the S2243 is a good deal lighter. The difference could even be felt.

tangoseal said:
I think Eizo makes their own panels from scratch, I could be wrong.
NEC did/does, afaik Eizo never did (nor did they make any joint-venture deal). It's all LG. And no, they don't offer any awsum extraordinary contrast ratio compared to other IPS panels.

{quote=NCX]The U2410 is as bad as it gets in terms of AG coating, are the Eizo S-PVA models any better?

A colleague of mine uses the U2410 as main monitor at work and i briefly owned a S2243 (22" WUXGA S-PVA). Admittedly, I didn't do any real head-to-head comparison, but it was very obvious that the AG coating on the S2243 is a good deal lighter. The difference could even be felt.

The difference is really noticeable.
The Eizo monitors seems to not have the AG coating even if they are readable without any problem in full day, thanks also to the eco view function, no strange glare effect on eizo. The image is SHARP, you feel the sharpness.

No glare effect also on Dell but the AG coating is so heavy.

S2433 costs 700€, it doesn't costs more than Dell, it worth more.
I made this posts, just to say to people that helped me buying this monitors thanks! :)

Hi tk-don, I found your review of the Eizo s2243w (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1543197&highlight=eizo+s2243w). In it, you said the Eizo suffered horribly from color shifting and black crush. How bad was it really? I am considering the Eizo, but after reading your review, I was left wondering if I would be better off just getting an IPS or even a good TN monitor.

Also, would you then disagree with the OP about Eizo's S-PVA panels being "incredibly better" than the Dell's IPS" ?

Eizo suffered horribly from color shifting and black crush. How bad was it really? I am considering the Eizo, but after reading your review, I was left wondering if I would be better off just getting an IPS or even a good TN monitor.

FYI
Color shifting (and black crush as a part of it) is intrinsic for PVA - any PVA. Eizo monitors based on PVA cannot be and are not an exception.

Test image on the best and most expensive PVA Eizo CG-series vs IPS.
Loss of dark shades head on on Eizo (black crush). Angle view reveals shades but all 3 identical images look differently (color shifting).

236fl.jpg

Yeah, it depends on your understanding of the technology and what you've used first.

You've used an IPS monitor after being accustomed to PVA. You've noticed the reduced contrast.

I have done the opposite by moving from IPS to PVA. My first objection which is on record in this forum was the gamma shift.

On my Eizos there is absolutely no gamma shift and no black crush if you sit in front of the monitor working on it.

S-PVA problem on this matter is only stories for people who don't tryed a good S-PVA, if you are the only one working on the monitor, there is NO WAY to see gamma shift and black crush.
If you turn around the monitor instead of working with it things changes in the same way it change for IPS when talking about dark areas that became white.

Bullsheeit.

What is with all the sketchy information on this forum lately.

probably you should improve your education before thinking of speaking about monitors.
If I move my head from the corner left to corner right of the monitors my eyes isn't able to see any color shift (full red color, full green color, full blu color, ecc.) and any black crush also on the famous turtle image.

So buy a monitor like this before saying to others that they says bullshit.

FYI
Color shifting (and black crush as a part of it) is intrinsic for PVA - any PVA. Eizo monitors based on PVA cannot be and are not an exception.

Test image on the best and most expensive PVA Eizo CG-series vs IPS.
Loss of dark shades head on on Eizo (black crush). Angle view reveals shades but all 3 identical images look differently (color shifting).

236fl.jpg

PS: This images doesn't prove anything, different ambient light, different conditions on the camera make completely different images and uncomparable.
See the ambient light and then, the photoshop manipulation is also visible in the corner :)
what than?

If I move my head from the corner left to corner right of the monitors my eyes isn't able to see any color shift (full red color, full green color, full blu color, ecc.) and any black crush also on the famous turtle image.

In PVA the colour shift for primary colours is negligible. When PVA is close to being completely activated (or in the case of primary colours where maximum transmittance in most monitor solutions is achieved) colour shift is negligible.

probably you should improve your education before thinking of speaking about monitors.
It is not seen as classy to throw slander at your opponent when he is in fact correct.

In PVA the colour shift for primary colours is negligible. When PVA is close to being completely activated (or in the case of primary colours where maximum transmittance in most monitor solutions is achieved) colour shift is negligible.

It is not seen as classy to throw slander at your opponent when he is in fact correct.

buy a S2433 or a FX2431 than correct me :)
On my two monitors there is no color shift also on primary colours if you move your head in from your chair when in front of the monitor, I have made a video of this, I'll publish it later.

Is there a link for the original turtle image? Wanna test my Eizo FS2331

Sometimes due to the poor black levels on most LCD you can see things you aren't supposed to see in the darker areas.
PVA monitors lighten at angles, but your not supposed to see that stuff
In my case I find my Eizo monitor resolves very dark levels better than my Trintiron CRT monitors

When viewed head on, I see the same things on my calibrated CRTs as I do on the Eizo. No black crush so far

At the moment I have an Eizo S2433W, Eizo FX2431 and a Dell U2410 here in the office,
monitors are uncomparable.

S-PVA from Eizo are incredibly better than the IPS from Dell in every aspect from color accuracy, to black level to contrast and to the sharpness of the image you feel.

Thanks to all the people who suggested me an S-PVA monitor.

I believe my FS2331 is similar to your S2433.

How does the FX2431 compare to it? I was considering that before getting the FS2331

I believe my FS2331 is similar to your S2433.

How does the FX2431 compare to it? I was considering that before getting the FS2331

same monitor but they have different initial calibration, the scaler on the foris is much more better.
To work I prefer the S2433 due to the presets.

Where is the color shifting? I moved the camera much more than how much I move my head when I'm working.
http://img806.imageshack.us/i/mql.mp4/

same monitor but they have different initial calibration, the scaler on the foris is much more better.
To work I prefer the S2433 due to the presets.

Where is the color shifting? I moved the camera much more than how much I move my head when I'm working.
http://img806.imageshack.us/i/mql.mp4/

Make a viewing angle video of this very hardforum page. I bet my penis that there is colour shift.

Make a viewing angle video of this very hardforum page. I bet my penis that there is colour shift.

LOL, you lost the penis :)
You are comparing a C-PVA or low end S-PVA screen with a quality S-PVA screen since it is the only monitor you can see, no way to compare it, one is much better than the other.

Unfortunantly I'm in office and my camera isn't so good:
http://img839.imageshack.us/i/16022011654.jpg/

I'm not an Eizo promoter or an IPS basher since I'll bought all of them.
I posted my impression, I posted a videos that prove it now my time is finished, I don't want to be right. You are right if you want it :)
Belive me or not, its not important, I don't care :)

No fair, you photographed the black background part of the page.

Even still, you can clearly see the gamma shift of the thread title strip. Additionally, there is no difference in gamma shift between a low end S-PVA screen (2408WFP) and a high end screen (S2433W) as they both (to my memory) use the same panel. C-PVA again, not much difference between it and older S-PVA.

No fair, you photographed the black background part of the page.

Even still, you can clearly see the gamma shift of the thread title strip. Additionally, there is no difference in gamma shift between a low end S-PVA screen (2408WFP) and a high end screen (S2433W) as they both (to my memory) use the same panel. C-PVA again, not much difference between it and older S-PVA.

I really can't see any shift, in front of my monitor but you want the right so you have :)

You are comparing a C-PVA or low end S-PVA screen with a quality S-PVA screen since it is the only monitor you can see, no way to compare it, one is much better than the other.

I'm not an Eizo promoter or an IPS basher since I'll bought all of them.
I posted my impression, I posted a videos that prove it now my time is finished, I don't want to be right. You are right if you want it :)
Belive me or not, its not important, I don't care :)

Hi sblantipodi,

Are you saying that the FX2431 with its S-PVA panel produces a better image than either the S2433W or the FS2331? How good is it for reading text at native resolution in Text mode? How good is it for reading text if you change, via Windows, the Font Size of the Display to 120% or 135% in Text mode? What rating would you give the speakers on each of the FX2431 and S2433W?

What effect does Text mode have on image quality?

What Colour Temperature settings are available on each of the EIZOs?

It would be good if you had the opportunity to compare the FX2431 and S2433W to an FS2331 or EV2333W and also a "good example" of a BENQ EW2420.

What is the Anti-Glare coating like on the EIZOs? Is it more glossy than matte?

Thanks,

Last edited:
text mode is pretty useless IMO, it reduces contrast ratio, and reduces black levels. Better to create your own preset

On FS2331, you can have no colour temp, SRGB, 4000k to 10000k in 500k steps

The picture lacks nothing.
It shows what PVA lacks.

I know you are using it as a gamma shift demonstration, but testing using the image for its original intent of grayscale detail reveals that these Eizo C-PVA monitors are passing quite well.

It does not matter - may be you have gamma screwed down.

I don't have the gamma screwed down. I am using OSD parameters of "2.2" gamma and "6500k" without any LUT correction applied. I'll remind you that the PRAD colorimetric test indicated that the factory settings for this monitor are capable of a good approximation of 2.2 gamma. I believe these results are valid. As for your new image, I can distinguish T.

Last edited:
I'll also note that any "Y" that may be there is not visible when gamma shifted either. It just isn't coming up.

I've used EIZO S-PVA monitors. They're not worth the price. It's impossible for a VA panel to have better color accuracy than an IPS panel. Even a cheap IPS panel has better color accuracy than the best S-PVA monitors. Sure, the EIZO is factory calibrated and measures better, but the gamma shift destroys that accuracy even when you're sitting in front of the screen. I don't understand how so many people don't see that.

sblantipodi said:
On my Eizos there is absolutely no gamma shift and no black crush if you sit in front of the monitor working on it.

S-PVA problem on this matter is only stories for people who don't tryed a good S-PVA
Stop misleading people into believing there is a VA panel without gamma shifting. People have been saying stuff like this for years. People always swear their S-PVA monitor doesn't have gamma shifting or that newer S-PVA panels don't have gamma shifting, but nothing ever changes.

sblantipodi said:

Your picture clearly shows a MASSIVE gamma shift. The gray bar at the top is at least twice as bright on the left than it is on the right. This is a HUGE color discrepancy. How do you not see this?

gamma-shift.jpg

How can you call this monitor accurate when it can't even display the same shade on different parts of the screen?

Back