I have a book, and i have an iPad2

Verge

Supreme [H]ardness
How in the bloody hell do i get the damn book on the iPad.

Cannot sync it in itunes or it gives me some stupid error about erasing all the stuff i already have on my iPad. WHY IS THIS SO HARD APPLE, I HAVE MORE THAN ONE COMPUTER.

Does anybody know how to do this? I just want to read my book.

You can only sync a device to one machine. It's possible to sync with multiple machines, but the complexities outweigh the benefits.

You can upload the book to a web server, point Safari to it, and have it open with iBooks or whatever reader it is you're using.

You can only sync a device to one machine. It's possible to sync with multiple machines, but the complexities outweigh the benefits.

You can upload the book to a web server, point Safari to it, and have it open with iBooks or whatever reader it is you're using.

I'll try that.

How these devices became so popular is beyond me, it's nightmarish to upload a single pdf to my 700 dollar tablet.

Dropbox, Sugarsync, Pogoplug. GoodReader.

Of course, you make no mention of what kind of book you are talking about. From your post, I thought you were talking about a physical book made of paper with some kind of binding. Format matters.

Assuming you're talking about a digital file I use this newfangled technology called copying to the file system of the device. Amazing stuff and why I never give up a real computer even on a tablet.

Cannot sync it in itunes or it gives me some stupid error about erasing all the stuff i already have on my iPad. WHY IS THIS SO HARD APPLE, I HAVE MORE THAN ONE COMPUTER.

The "one iDevice syncs to one computer at a time" paradigm has been around for over a decade now. You'd think people would finally grasp this.

And, no, it's not that Apple doesn't account for the fact that you have more than one computer, it's that the RIAA and MPAA want some sort of anti-piracy protection, of which the ability to sync your iDevice's content to multiple computers simultaneously would sort of defeat.

I'll try that.

How these devices became so popular is beyond me, it's nightmarish to upload a single pdf to my 700 dollar tablet.

I put PDFs on my iPad all the time. I open iTunes, I drag the PDF into iTunes, then I sync the iPad and select the PDF and then it is on my iPad.

Doesn't seem that hard to me. But that might just be me.

He's never synced it before with the machine he's connected to so he doesn't want to remove anything on the iPad.

Along with the other tools mentioned, like Dropbox, you can also try emailing it to yourself.

I hate using itunes with a passion so I figure telling him to use it will just lead to more frustration. The cloud options are just so painless....no wires or connections whatsoever...just a drag and drop procedure..I use it at work, home, and anywhere I have wifi..and Goodreader is just a good iPad app to have.

Oh..and with the latest additions to iOS 5, there is almost no need for a wire at all, movies come across wirelessly as well (well, if you have the right app).

Back