I hate this fan, its a demon...come to kill our children

archangel0585

Weaksauce
Ok I give, I can’t take it. I wake up in cold sweats wondering if it is going to chop my pecker off, swirling in a bloody fury like a drunken prizefighter. I swear to god, it's looking at me. I PURCHASED A VANTEC FAN. I didn’t think that 56 dba would be that loud. OMG it gives me night terrors. I tried to watch a dvd tonight, I wondered if my sound card was broken...then I remembered that the "train" sound was from my case. It is frankly well.........MONEY I WILL NEVER GET BACK. I'm actually going to sacrifice a little of my OC, why you ask. Well if I haven’t gotten the point across, this thing is too loud. I am going to best buy in the morning to purchase a nice 24 dba 80mm blue led fan. I don’t know what kind........Frankly put I don't care.
The heart of my gripe springs from a few things.
1. I render video on my computer, this wouldn’t seem to be a problem but this means my computer is running into the wee hours of the morning....... Coffee couldn’t keep me more awake.
2. I play games........I feel like I'm a deaf kid in an arcade.....Great graphics down right sexy...but all I hear is wuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUU
3. Did I mention I get chronic migraines, IT TRIGGERED ONE, I would kill an infant for crying to much if they triggered a migraine......the fan will not be shown mercy.
I don't know if I should sell it of bust it into a million pieces office space style.....Ok I feel better.... I’m done.. I don't think I hate anyone enough to make him or her pay money for this maybe I'll just bury it so it can rise again and haunt future generations.......GOD I hate this fan. I love what it does...but ....arrgggggg....it's looking at me. DIE DIE DIE

Ian (mcseian) you warned me, you where right……..Now I'm going to go in there and try to sleep but I wont…. Because I have a headache. I should have just had you pull the fucker off the minute your dad walked in the room because he heard it downstairs……..NEXT DOOR.

Moral of story….don’t buy loud fans.
Secondary moral….Listen to people who know more then you.

You know what i say…..everyone should write an email to every major cpu/case fan manufacture, demanding a quite (less then 25 dba) high flow fan. Then we should all get together and form an organized petition sending it to all the manufactures. Saying “hey first one to make it, we’ll all buy one” I'm sure some garage company from Nome is going to hear our call but Christ….I HATE THIS FAN. A sleek machine should not put out more then 60dba. I say we all boycott the damn things….GOOD NIGHT, please feel free to gripe for a moment if you have a similar monstrosity starring you down through an acrylic window, you know what maybe I’ll just put it on a piece of plywood and call it a sensna, wait I don’t think it could pass civilian noise requirements. 60 dba…that’s a jet at takeoff.

WuuuuUUUUUUUUuuuuuUUUUUUUuuuuuUUUUUUuuuuuuuUUUUUuuuuu

HATE I SAY

Well duh, 56db will do that. Vantec makes some quiet ones too, of course you could just hook an AC unit up to your PC too.

HaHaHaHaHa, oh man that was great. You perfectly captured the anoyance and rage that a vantec tornado can cause. I remember when I first used mine, they sucked in 2 pieces of paper I had right infront of my case. I quickly had to get replacements for them. There was one nice positive though, I would have never had to worry about dust because the outtake ones litterally blew out all of the dust in my case.

Haaaahaaa That was really funny. I dig your sense of humour.

"I wake up in cold sweats wondering if it is going to chop my pecker off, swirling in a bloody fury like a drunken prizefighter"

Hahaaaaaahahaa ROFLMAO!

By far the funniest thread in my life.

I wish I could send you my Sunbeam fan controller right now, but I just spent 2 hours modding it so I can't.

i recall a similar experiance with a 60mm delta. i had to build a fanbus for it and it's still too loud but it's not in my room anymore

I know how you feel man. I bought my themaltake volcano thinking the nosie wouldnt bug me so I put the jumper on so it will always run at full speed. Worst mistake of my life. The fucker is so loud at night when everyone else is sleeping. So sometime today I plan on adding the fan controller. So I can slow it down when I'm not in the need to extreme cooling.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a fan that can cool an overclocked 2500+ but is also quiet?

Get the zalman cnps7000a, cools better then anything and is dead silent.

If you think that is bad, try having the person next to you at work have a loud-ass fan on their PC... you can't even do anything about it! I tried sticking a pencil in there, but I couldn't live with the guilt of having destroyed a system by overheating it. The freaking IT guy won't do anything about it either. And yes, it even causes me headaches. :(

OK..

1) Valium is your friend

2) Nexus Fan controllers are too.

3) I am at 3.0->3.6 Overclock with a Vantec tornado 119 CFM fan (your same 56db) and my processor stays cool at the LOWEST setting on the nexus...)

4) Sound dampening material will remove that annoying hum : I can turn my fan ful blast and not have it bother me.

Originally posted by archangel0585
You know what i say…..everyone should write an email to every major cpu/case fan manufacture, demanding a quite (less then 25 dba) high flow fan.

So, basically, you want to reinvent the entire concept of physics?

High flow requires high rotation or LARGER SIZE

Get yourself a 1300CFM, 240x240x25 fan and adapter that down to your heatsink.. problem solved.

You can't have high airflow, in 92mm at low speed. Laws of physics prevent that.

Send your fan to me.. I Could use a second one :

I'll even pay shipping (should be about $4)

The thing I love about them is what happens if you put one face down on a desk .. It will usually right itself when turned on..

Try running 3 Tornado's and a TT Volcano9 in your rig at the same time. Its quite fun seeing peoples reactions when you turn them all up to full bore.

1 fan is like a train.
2 are like a Oceanliner
3 fans are like sitting on the wing of a 747.

Add to that a TT Volcano9, and youve just simulated the effect of a banshee screaming in a jet engine testing facility.

Originally posted by nullvector
Try running 3 Tornado's and a TT Volcano9 in your rig at the same time. Its quite fun seeing peoples reactions when you turn them all up to full bore.

1 fan is like a train.
2 are like a Oceanliner
3 fans are like sitting on the wing of a 747.

Add to that a TT Volcano9, and youve just simulated the effect of a banshee screaming in a jet engine testing facility.

One 80mm is enough to give me nightsweats.

I can't image three 92mm's

This is the funniest thread I have ever seen.

Nice to see you're still livin, nullvector.
Honey bunches o' commies - I eat you for breakfast.

I can hear my HDD through walls, a couple rooms over. It's not all that loud just sitting next to it... but the sound penetrates walls without losing too much intensity.

Originally posted by phasmatis_nox
I can hear my HDD through walls, a couple rooms over. It's not all that loud just sitting next to it... but the sound penetrates walls without losing too much intensity.

You can hear a hard drive from two rooms away through walls? You got some kind of super human hearing or something?

Sometimes demons have teeth...

This happened a few years back, when the Tornado of the day was the Delta Black Label. Anyway, the fan came with one of the old Vantec aluminum heatsinks (copper heatsinks were a novelty at the time), and there was a fan guard attached.

Buddy of mine was a stickler for physics theory, and so he took off the fan guard in order to assure a better airflow through the heatsink.

Welll.... Long story short, I dropped by his place one afternoon and saw that one of his fingers on his right hand was wrapped up like a mummy in medical bandages.

"What the hell happened to you?"

"My computer bit me."

"Bullshit."

"Have a look yourself." And he opened his case.

The inside of his case, the memory chips, his graphics card, and all around the CPU socket, was spattered with brown speckles, from the size of a fine mist to big splatters the size of nail-heads.

Turns out that he had accidentally let his fingertip stray a little too close to the fan, and the fan had taken the tip of his finger clean off. He felt something smack the be-Jeebus out of his finger, but didn't know what really happened till he saw blood being sprayed around the case by the Delta. It started hurting as he drove himself to the local ER.

Goddammit, I wish I had pics of that old case of his. It should go into one of those sticky threads.

great thread :) . i've got one of those fans spinning over this processor-- but only at 7v. at full speed, i just couldn't take it.

...........I removed my vantec last night, well long story short. my case wall (the removable door) started to slide off my desk I shifted forward..........my vantec is now missing two blades and I have a gash on my right first finger....I hate that fan.
as far as the reinvention of physics is concerned...that is not my concern, however I have seen industrial applications flow more air with the same noise.......there should be a way to accomplish a larger flow with less noise. I don’t care if I have to rig a ball bearing, oil cooled, intercooled fan up to my case...that I cant hear but wakes every dog for five miles...I will have victory, although a confession...since I broke it accidentally I well...still hate that fan.

hey what did you expect.....it was going for my pecker.

I feel like I'm a deaf kid in an arcade

Are you the pinball wizard?

I would kill an infant for crying to much if they triggered a migraine

You have some serious issues to even say that.. stay away from my kid....

good this she dosnt cry much... :)

Originally posted by AggieMEEN
Sometimes demons have teeth...

This happened a few years back, when the Tornado of the day was the Delta Black Label. Anyway, the fan came with one of the old Vantec aluminum heatsinks (copper heatsinks were a novelty at the time), and there was a fan guard attached.

Buddy of mine was a stickler for physics theory, and so he took off the fan guard in order to assure a better airflow through the heatsink.

Welll.... Long story short, I dropped by his place one afternoon and saw that one of his fingers on his right hand was wrapped up like a mummy in medical bandages.

"What the hell happened to you?"

"My computer bit me."

"Bullshit."

"Have a look yourself." And he opened his case.

The inside of his case, the memory chips, his graphics card, and all around the CPU socket, was spattered with brown speckles, from the size of a fine mist to big splatters the size of nail-heads.

Turns out that he had accidentally let his fingertip stray a little too close to the fan, and the fan had taken the tip of his finger clean off. He felt something smack the be-Jeebus out of his finger, but didn't know what really happened till he saw blood being sprayed around the case by the Delta. It started hurting as he drove himself to the local ER.

Goddammit, I wish I had pics of that old case of his. It should go into one of those sticky threads.

Thats hard to believe, I have had many delta black label fans, plus they have encountered my fingers before, none have broken skin....

They did hurt though.

When I first got my 3 Tornados, I was floored by how loud they were. I took the 92mm one to work (I was a tech at Best Buy) to show it to some of the other guys who were thinking about getting them. We set it on the counter and hooked it up with a fan wire extension and watched the thing dance around like a little hover craft. I would be completely unsurprised to find one of these things in a vacume cleaner. :D

I like loud. In my case I have 4x Delta 80mm 80CFM fans at full speed. On my CPU I have a Vantec Tornado 92mm 119CFM fan at full speed. The noise has NEVER bothered me. Only people it bothers are the ones in my LAN group so when they start bitching, I pass out the ear-plugs.:D

Great thread!

My first experience with loudness was a couple of days ago with some fan I got at Fry's. 87 cfm (at what turned out to be something like 6300 RPM--the damned thing is almost thicker than it is wide.) I figured the fifteen little pinholes in the front of the case couldn't handle the airflow so I Dremeled and drilled and had a nice, gaping hole in the case, ready for some silent cooling. When I turned the computer on I could feel the air rushing by my legs. If I put my fingers over the holes in the plastic facing on the case I could feel pressure; the air shrieking through every crack that wasn't covered made my wife & mother-in-law think I blew it up. Ma-in-law was pissed because it's the only system I have up and she wasn't going to be able to play her solitaire anymore (I got her addicted.) Had to shut it down, unplug the fan and demonstrate that it still worked before she calmed down. (FYI, don't scare people when they're on oxygen.)

Dude, I feel your pain. I worked for a solid year developing a cooling system with no fans that can still O/C a Barton 2800+ to 2.45Ghz. My friends think I'm nutz. I can sleep at night, though.

Matt.

I hear ya.. I was scared for my fingers with my delta 60mm back in the day...

Just picked up a pctoys nexus, one day I will have a moderately quiet tornado!!!

you want to sell it?

oh good memories of aluminum heatsinks and Black Label deltas

Anyone remember the FOP-38? :)

I can relate to the noise thing man, If a system is in the spare room it gets the tornados, if it is in the main room it gets the panaflos :)

On the subject of fans biting you though, I got a good story to kick into the fray.

In the spare room there is a rack cabinet, and as I added the fourth machine to the cab it felt like it was getting really really hot in there when I left the door closed. So I drilled some vents in the bottom of the door and then went to go toss one of these in the top of the cabinet.

http://www.comairrotron.com/DCFans/PatriotDC.htm

Having turned it on and heard how loud it was powered at the full 24 volts (I have a nifty rackmount AC > DC power supply inverter that was a salvage score :) comes in all sorts of handy) I decided to throw a pot on there to possibly turn it down a bit when i had to do some work in that room for an extended period of time.

So I installed the pot, and while holding my hand over the fan to feel the difference in airflow it bit me. And while shamed to admit it, after the initial shock went away i definitely screamed. I guess i had let my middle finger sag down a bit while holding my hand over the fan, and it ripped a V shaped chunk out of my middle finger. I should have known that a fan that has fucking teeth on the fins was a maneater.

Man that hurt like a bitch. Still have the little V shaped scar today, and that fan got a good grill of gutter cover for its troubles.

Lata

Originally posted by 101
You can hear a hard drive from two rooms away through walls? You got some kind of super human hearing or something?

Yes. Of course. That's why this whole thread is about stuff being loud.

I got two panaflos in my case. :) Trying to figure what I can do next to get it quieter, probably replace the side fan.

LMAO..WOW MAN...THAT WAS CLASSIC LOLOL, laughed so hard I choked lol. Man thanx for the warning :D

oh i remember back in the day of about a month and a half ago.. my pc was nice and loud...

i had a smartfan 2 turned up all the way on my cpu.. i had a smartfan2 in the front of my case turned up all the way.. for some reason it was about twice as loud as the one on my cpu.. i still havent figured that out.. maybe it had something to do with the crappy case i had.. and then i decided to mount one of those old 60mm screaming deltas on my giant 2 videocard heatsink.. that just put it over the edge.. it was ridiculous.. then i started running it with the side of the case off which made it even worse.. it was unbearable.. needless to say less than 2 weeks later i had water running through my computer instead :D .. now i think my evercool at 30 db is too loud.. but i cant find another one to come close that pushes decent airflow

awesome thread btw.. lmao i was cracking up :D

yeah i have that one too. but i had both sides of my case off. i plan to get some duramatesque stuff and just try and cancel it out.

or get longer cables.

also, i have a volcano 11+ fan on my heatsink and just said screw the whole air"flow" concept. i'm just going to apply "airmass" theory. and the best way to acheive this airmass you ask?

CR1-0005-01_LG.JPG

+
*not my case but just for example*
DSC00319.jpg

=

WIN! and coolest temps evar.

Speaking of STICKY, getting your blood all over the inside of the case is quite STICKY as well.

Since my old fan “broke”.......I got a new one, an antec 80mm...so 13 bucks and 34 cfm later, I have a nice fan that runs at 30dba, but since it's inside the closed case...less then 20 dba ambient. SLEEP AGAIN YES. The horror is over, although I will have a nice scar on my finger to remind me that loud fans bite :rolleyes: .... There’s a pun there. So enjoy my story, my trauma and learn from my mistakes young ones.;) because I know somwhere there is somone thinking, it cant be that loud.

Back