I hate the windows welcome screen

Dallows

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay so I recently built my brother a system with the latest windows xp home version, sp2 and all. Now for some reason it always goes to the welcome screen on bootup and requires the choosing of a username to logon with. Now there's only one user as the admin, how can I get this to not show up? I've searched and found nothing.

you could either

A) be retarded and get rid of the admin password then it should auto logon

B) disable the login screen and do the classic windows 2000 style login with the normal text box

C) change the login screen to something you would like to look at, such as a hot naked chick, using style XP

D) listen to some of the other responses from people on theses forums ;)

There are ways to change the Windows Welcome screen to something cooler and a better picture. Would you consider doing that? I'll get the instructions for you in no time.

that's a nice first suggestion. Considering how I have another computer with the same setup WITH password, and it automatically goes to the desktop on bootup. And I don't want a cool picture there instead, pay attention to the details of the post.

Dallows said:
that's a nice first suggestion. Considering how I have another computer with the same setup WITH password, and it automatically goes to the desktop on bootup. And I don't want a cool picture there instead, pay attention to the details of the post.

Well, so much for being friendly.... :rolleyes:

Disable Fast User Switching and I think that should enable you to logon automatically.

Download TweakUI and use the autologin feature. A computer with password-restricted accounts should not and does not log in by default, so I don't know what you've done to make this other system behave as it does.

this should take care of a number of concerns you may have...including the easy way of setting up automatic logon without editing the registry yourself.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

OR, you can disable the welcom screen by going into the User Accounts Applet in the control panel, select the link that says "Change the way users log on or off" and deselect the logon screen option Fast User switching has nothing to do with automatic logon, it simply enables you to log on as another user without having to log off first.

Dallows said:

Do you have .Net framework installed on your brothers system, it adds a user account that doesn't show up on the welcome screen, but causes the welcome screen to show up because another account exists.

Someone else may chime in here, but I believe upgrading to the latest version of .net from wu will correct the issue. Alternatively, you could use TweakUI, or just delete the .net asp account from "users" in the control panel. I have yet to see any need for the account (is there one?, I would assume it's there for a reason).

Oldie said:
Someone else may chime in here, but I believe upgrading to the latest version of .net from wu will correct the issue. Alternatively, you could use TweakUI, or just delete the .net asp account from "users" in the control panel. I have yet to see any need for the account (is there one?, I would assume it's there for a reason).

When the .NET Framework is installed on a system with IIS enabled, it installs ASP.NET into IIS. As part of this, the 1.1 and 2.0 framework create a low privilege account that has very limited rights for ASP.NET to run under. It's one additional layer of security.

compslckr said:
you could either

A) be retarded and get rid of the admin password then it should auto logon

B) disable the login screen and do the classic windows 2000 style login with the normal text box

C) change the login screen to something you would like to look at, such as a hot naked chick, using style XP

D) listen to some of the other responses from people on theses forums ;)

LOL!

I did run the updates and that was installed, the .net framework so I believe that's causing it. But why didn't it happen with the other computer I have in the house? That's also up-to-date, same setup 1 user. Is there any reason to leave the account that was created?

And what is IIS?

interestingly enough the other computer does not have that account, neither does mine. Why would it be created on some and not on others?

Sheesh people, this is basic shit.

Go to start -> run (or hit Windows key + R). and type in 'control userpasswords2', then hit enter or click OK.

This will run the old Win2000/NT style 'user accounts' applet and all you have to do is UNTICK the 'Users must enter a username and password to use this computer' item near the top of the window. Now click OK and you will be prompted for the username and password that you wish to automatically login the next time you reboot your PC.

Hmph. :p ;)

Back