I hate the Blizzard Downloader!

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I have World of Warcraft and at the moment I am downloading the new patch! I am thinking the Blizzard downloader is a version if Bittorrent, however I dont have any problems downloading with BT but I am haveing a really slow time downloading with the Blizzard Downloader, I have opened most of the ports it says to, (it says to open over 100 ports!) and I have even turned off the windows firewall and it is the same slow ass download with or without it. I have a Static IP DSL connection and do not currently have a router, (I know I am getting one soon!). This is really pissing me off! they should have some mirrors to direct downloads like everyone else!

*shrugs* at least this is better than them never updating anything though right? plus, we could be playing everquest2! ;)

Actually, more and more MMOs seem to be going to the BT distribution model (example Anarchy Online is doing it for their "free" til 2006 dl's (FREE basic AO link perhaps I should post a thread for this alone or even in the [H]ot Deals forum?) - It takes the resources off them (somewhat @ least) to distribute the software, and (hopefully) make a better, smoother gaming experience for the players..

It would be nice if Blizz/others would also make separate .torrent files available for those who already run a BT client, esp. ones like Azureus that allow manual UL/DL thresholds...

And your slow speeds probably have to do w/ one of two things..
1) It takes a while for a BT dl to "get going" - you won't be hitting top speed right away - you need to connect to more seeds/peers
2) Unless something has changed since OB, there isn't an UL throttle control on the patcher client, so it will max out your UL speed, and as a result will limit your DL speed..You could try a third party throttler software like Net Limiter to try and help alleviate this.

I hate it too.

Right now I am watching it crawl a 2.00 KBPS per second and the patch is 36 megs. :mad:

Blizzard has so many technical problems. Their login server for their forums is always down. Been trying to put a post up for the last 4 hours to no avail. The auction house and mail box lag to all hell. Heck, even NPCs don't load sometimes. Oh, and don't forget the orc rogue bug that allows them to get 4 combo points in 1 hit and 35 energy with very little cooldown.

Fault EQ2 all you want, but at least the patches were downloaded quickly from their servers (no upload needed), and everything in game was quick and responsive. In an hour of browsing the auction house, placing bids, and retrieving bought items from mail I spend about 30-45 minutes of that waiting for the requests to go through. It simply sucks.

I do not fault EQ2 for technical problems.

I fault it because it sucks. I mean they cannot even get EQ1 players to play it so what does that tell you.

The reason its slow right now is the patch was just released, which means little to no one has the full patch yet. This happens to mean that very few people have the patch to share. The more people that finish up the patch, and people can start pulling from them instead of the tracker, the better the rates will be. It is BT, and its the same, the first group always gets the slower rate because there are so few people with the file to share. Another problem is the fact so many people don't keep the downloader going to help seed the patch :mad:

Wait a sec, weren't all the EQ2 servers down over the weekend?

Yeah, real smooth operation over there at SOE.

Also, lag at the AH? What server do you play on? You might want to switch.

I am thinking now my problem has more to do with my crappy ISP. I have a Statis IP 256/128k DSL. It is now christmas vacation and all the kids are home playing there games and chatting with there friends and family stressing my already stressed ISP to the limit. I pinged my ISP and was getting pings from 8ms to over 1500ms with most of them being over 1000ms. Pings to your isp should be no higher than 50ms with broadband and that is still to high for quality internet gaming!

I played Star Wars Galaxies for well over a year, I quit playing that game several times, yet I kept going back cause I had made so many friends, Our guild used Team Speak and some of use became good friends, I still didn't like the game but I liked playing with them. When the closed Stress test came out I signed up and got in, even tho I was horrid at Warcraft 1,2, and 3 I still wanted to try it out, I liked the game right away. I played it and hated when the stress test was over. when the second stress test and open beta started I was back playing it again. I hated again when it was over and I just couldn't go back to playing SWG. I said bye to my friends in SWG and quit for good.

Out of the box World of Warcraft was far superior to SWG that had been out for 18 months. WoW seemed more like a game and less like a job which is how I felt playing SWG, SWG was to repetitive and forced. Wow had alot of varity, and the bugs were very small and few. SOE says over and over that they listen to there customers, I say they haven't a clue as to what there customers want. For example, Starports especially Coronet were over ran with Spam and lag, What did sony do, they came out with the Barker Droid, that allowed players to not only spam even more, they could spam in more places.This is a perfect example of how detached SOE is from there customer base. This is only a single example of many things SOE has done to piss off SWG players, I think the only reason SWG has lasted as long as it hasis because of the fanatisism of the Star Wars Fans and not because the game is worth playing.
End of rant! :rolleyes:

Ok I know this goes against the Idea of bit torrent downloading but it works with blizard downloads for some reason. Use Netlimiter or some sort of bandwith limiting software and limit the upstream to like 5kbps. I just downloaded the patch in about 2 min at 100kbps. I am not really satisfied as to why this works as I feel like I am shafting people that are waiting by hardly uploading anything but it worked when I was downloading the open beta client as well.

Shimmerdark said:
Ok I know this goes against the Idea of bit torrent downloading but it works with blizard downloads for some reason. Use Netlimiter or some sort of bandwith limiting software and limit the upstream to like 5kbps. I just downloaded the patch in about 2 min at 100kbps. I am not really satisfied as to why this works as I feel like I am shafting people that are waiting by hardly uploading anything but it worked when I was downloading the open beta client as well.

You are part of the problem (shakes fist angrily! :mad: )

Warmonkey said:
Wait a sec, weren't all the EQ2 servers down over the weekend?

Yeah, real smooth operation over there at SOE.

Also, lag at the AH? What server do you play on? You might want to switch.
They were down for a single day of which players were reimbursed and given accelerated experience. That is pretty much the only problem EQ2 has had. I play on Kel'thuzad and even during non-peak times, like 7AM, I've seen the mail box lag a lot. During peak times it is horrendous.

Kicked off the downloader around 1:30pm and its now at 34%....at 4:10.

Think what bugs me most about this downloader...is that Blizzard is in denial about it on their forums. There's several topics, in the WoW forum, on the downloader and the new patch and, there could be more if their "forum login" would work. But, if you read the current topics, in both the Technical Support and General, the forum mods\techs are acting like its the player's router, PC, or game install.

Some players have even gone to the point of uploading and posting links to the actual patch (but good luck connecting to them). Some mod had the balls to make a post about the safety of downloading from unknowns and did not recommend anyone to download from the given links. Ok, good point....but, in retrospect...you're telling players to open all their ports on their router or connect directly to the modem for the download. Not to mention you're doing p2p to distribute the patch. Where's the safety aspect again? Think I'll take my chances downloading a zip vs. opening all my ports (which really isnt the solution, nor the problem, in the first place).

One solution would be to upload the patch to FilePlanet.

BAH!!

WoW's technical problems seem to be growing daily. For the last 4 days browsing the auction house and using the mail system has been extremely laggy. Taking minutes many times for searches to come up, bids to go through, or auctions to list. It's taking me an hour to sell and buy what I need when it should take me 15-30 minutes.

The blizzard patcher. I think that's all that needs to be said about that. A comment on the official forums asking where the alternate download sources are (that were promised) has been met with the comment "You can turn p2p off in the downloader." Of course they don't tell you that the download rate drops drastically then. The is part of the bittorrent protocol to give higher priority to bigger uploaders.

The forums. I have literally tried all day, the past 7 hours, to login and post on their forums to no avail. I am constantly met with "Login server down." This is nothing new either. I guess they are fixing this problem soon but come on. This has been going on for a while now.

I like the game a lot, but it is fraught with technical problems. In addition, even after this patch there still seems to be huge bugs like orc rogues given 4 combo points for 35 energy instead of 1 (hemorrhage). Oh well, I guess this is what I get for being an early adopter.

Heck, the first few days it was an umitigate disaster, with frequent server crashes/resets. It's getting better. Sure, the AH and mail lags a ton, and it's annoying. Then there are some broken quests.. I just get the sense that they are fixing more problems than they are creating, and it won't be long before it runs smoothly.

We really don't have much choice now anyway.. Glad I started the patch download before I left for work... It should be ready for me when I get home..

I hate to say it, but using NetLimiter to set an upload limit is definitely the way to go when downloading Blizzard's patches. It really helps to increase download speeds.

I don't really care if I'm not contributing my part in helping to seed the torrent. If there was a *viable* alternative download option I'd prefer not to upload at all. As far as I'm concerned Blizzard is not using the BT protocol to benefit the consumer. And they are among the highest monthly fee games out there...

But WoW is great fun though...

I finally got my patch, took 12 hours to get it tho.
I was skimming thru the patch notes, it was a pretty long list, but I did not see where they fixed the LVL 20 Pally quest, good thing I was able to get to the spot before server rest a couple days ago so I could be there first thing when server got turned back on. I did get the quest finished however I dont thing daphne (SP?) survived much longer as when our group all got the next stage we were walking away and were heard her get attacked, I feel sorry for anyone that hasn't gotten the quest done. I was lvl 25 and I was grouped with another lvl25 and a 29, it shouldn't have taken that long to get the quest done. but at least it isn't a game stopping event.

The WoW patcher is the biggest piece of crap patching system ever created for an MMORPG. Period. I've played about 15 different MMORPG's and none have been even remotely this bad at patching.

That is part of the reason I have only played the game for about 4 hours so far compared to over 80 spent in EQ2. After spending an hour installing WoW because it took my PC 15 minutes to copy all the data off each CD (Which is a problem I have never experienced before or since), and then spending another hour waiting for the patch to download... I guess I just wasn't in much of a mood to enjoy the game.

BTW, it literally took only 18 minutes to install, patch, and start playing EQ2... including registration time....

I can't imaging having played the game for a month and then having to lose a couple hours of playtime for a 36mb download.

And BTW, allthough EQ2 was down for 2 days, the also gave everyone 3 free days to make up for, and then gave us another 2 days during which everything (whether tradeskill or adventure) was worth 150% XP. I powerleveled for about 7 hours and gained 2 full levels, more than I expected to gain for the entire weekend anyway.

IceWind said:
Go here to fix slow or problematic Blizzards BT. I forwarded the appopriate ports and not a single problem now

Router Config for WoW

Firewall Config for WoW

This is exactly the problem with this stupid patching system. Any other MMORPG in the world they just work some extra money into the monthly fees, about 20 cents probably, and then host the patches themselves. Blizzard for some reason instead choses to create a patching system for a Mass Market game... A game designed for everyone (like all their games) not just for serious computer gamers.... and then they require you to go into your router and firewall configurations and make lots of changes if you don't want to wait 2+ hours for a patch that should literally take 2 minutes to download.

WTF?

IceWind said:
Go here to fix slow or problematic Blizzards BT. I forwarded the appopriate ports and not a single problem now

Router Config for WoW

Firewall Config for WoW

How can you forward ports when you still have the same problem and your not running a firewall!

Alot of the people having problems are not running a firewall. also alot of ISP's put people behind firewalls and theres nothing they can do about it, my ISP had me behind one and I had to upgrade to a static IP to get out from behind it. Colleges as well use firewalls. I have no problems at all running Bittorrent, I get files from filerush.com, they have links to patches and demos and game movie files and it works fine!

Its good to hear that I'm not the only one struggling with this patch. Currently at 52% 6kps. I've been dling this since 1:00pm today. I'm glad that they are patching the game but man it takes forever!

SuX0rz said:
Its good to hear that I'm not the only one struggling with this patch. Currently at 52% 6kps. I've been dling this since 1:00pm today. I'm glad that they are patching the game but man it takes forever!

I dont think I seen anyone mention that they weren't haveing problems, however it is alot more rare for people to say things are working and normally you only see people who are haveing trouble speak up.

Maybe if everyone turned off file sharing on the downloader then maybe Blizzard would get a hint, I haven't a clue why they dont upload the patch to fileplanet and fileshack sense everyone is haveing troubles with it.

Even tho I got the patch installed I still cant play, My ISP is still not working well enough to stay connected.

I would bitch on WoW forums but I cant get signed in there like alot of other people! I guess this patch has everything bogged down at blizzard. But I imagine 600,000 trying to get the file all at once has to take its toll!

router config works I had slow speeds as well but with this latest patch i was getting speeds of 300+ kbs. I get 3 Megabit service so this is about what my expected download speed should be.

Damn right Im using netlimiter at 10 kb/s, I'm not paying $15 a month for them to abuse my internet connection. They saturate my line at like 30 kb/s and I can't even get websites to load. I think I'm cancelling though, the game's just too much for what it is, all the instances feel the same with a gimmick here and there. I'm absolutely infuriated that they have the audacity to force some p2p scheme on us when we pay so much a month for this. Not too mention the buggy quests, screwed up mobs, annoing aggro, and generally boring "scorched" areas.

Back