I hate my iPhone 5...

Tyler-Durden

2[H]4U
I should begin this rant by declaring that I love Apple products. I’ve owned MacBook Pro laptops since 2008. My current MBP Retina is the best built, best performing laptop I’ve ever seen, used or owned. I have no need for an iPad, but I love it. The new iPad Air is a really cool device. I even loved my iPhone 5 as late as 3:44pm, today.

However, everything changed at 3:45pm.

I had to take my iPhone to the Apple store for repair. The external speaker died, on Saturday. No problem. These things happen. I just went to Apple.com, scheduled a service appointment for today at 3:45pm and rested easy, comforted by my positive experiences with Apple’s service in the past.

I met the smiling, bespectacled, tattoo-laden iAssistant at the Genius bar at the designated time. Upon handing my phone to him, he remarked, "Hey, nice jailbreak settings!" I thanked him and explained the speaker problem. I also made it explicitly, unmistakably clear that I did not want the OS upgraded to 7. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES did I want the OS changed. I wanted to keep my jailbreak.

He assured me that no software changes were required. They’d test the speaker and replace it OR give me a new iPhone if the problem was more extensive. Okay. I was quite confident the speaker was bad and it’d be replaced.

About 20 minutes later, a different iAssistant, this one without any visible body art save for a left ear ringed with small metal studs, cheerfully handed me my repaired iPhone with a fully functioning speaker. I pushed the Home button and then reeled in horror as the home screen of iOS 7 appeared on the screen.

What.The.Fuck????

I mean... WHAT.THE.FUCKING.FUCK?!?!?!?!?!?

"Oh, we had to upgrade your phone to iOS 7 before we could run any diagnostics on it," was the rehearsed response to my angry death stare at the now nervous iAssistant.

To quote Emperor Sidious: "I can feel the hate swelling..."

I wanted to rip into the iAssistant, who clearly wanted to move on to the next customer, but kept myself in check as I scanned the store for the iAssistant who took my phone and assured me that no software updates would be necessary. Of course, I never saw him again.

I brought the matter to the attention of an iManager who repeated the same line about the necessity of upgrading the phone to iOS 7 for diagnostics. "We both know that’s not true," I countered. "Would you have to upgrade a 3GS or 4 to iOS 7 if it had the same problem?" The iManager tried to soothe my distress by telling me that the new OS offered so many wonderful features that made jailbreaking unnecessary.

This back and forth continued for several minutes. It was clear that I would get nowhere with that automaton, so I left vowing never to set foot in that store again.

I hate my iPhone, now. I truly fucking hate it. I can't even look at it without hating it. The colors and icons look like they were designed by a finger painting summer camp for little fucking pre-school bastards. I keep expecting to see Care Bears dance across the screen at any moment. It's revolting. How could Apple have released such a steaming pile of horse shit OS?

I'm gonna jump to Android. That's how much I hate my iPhone. I'd take a sledge hammer to it, but fortunately there are legions of hopelessly clueless Q-Berts on eBay who will gladly shell out $500+ for a used iPhone.

Even one with this horse shit OS on it. :mad:

First off, don't take this as a 'defense of Apple' post, although I'm almost certain you will.

Can you honestly expect that any company in which you do things against their ToS or against their policies won't in general do something back in return to retaliate? It's akin to me making a Hackintosh and bringing my computer into Apple to complain when I get some software problem. Going in telling them that your phone is Jailbroken is probably the exact opposite of what you should have done. If you wanted to keep your OS and avoid Apple messing with your phone, you would've had to of done it yourself.

Sorry you hate iOS7. But your reaction to it is... well over-the-top. Enough to call it a "horse shit OS", which isn't exactly fair... as your problem really seems to stem for your dislike of it's aesthetics. Obviously underneath it isn't dissimilar to iOS6. It seems like you have your solution though. Sell it and move on. Get a phone that works for you and does what you want it to. I hear general excitement for the Nexus 5. It may be the option you're looking/waiting for.

Yikes!!
First off sorry for your loss i assume. Is there no way to downgrade? If not and its really not clicking ebay that and get a new droid lol. I personally would just live with it, but ehh not me so not important.

Second off, how you got warranty service, with a jailbroken iPhone is a pretty good ending. I have seen and heard multiple stories of people taking their Idevice for a warranty repair and then being denied due to the "3rd party software creating a problem and breaking our warranty terms" line. So your genius was pretty lenient.

First off, don't take this as a 'defense of Apple' post, although I'm almost certain you will.

Can you honestly expect that any company in which you do things against their ToS or against their policies won't in general do something back in return to retaliate? It's akin to me making a Hackintosh and bringing my computer into Apple to complain when I get some software problem. Going in telling them that your phone is Jailbroken is probably the exact opposite of what you should have done. If you wanted to keep your OS and avoid Apple messing with your phone, you would've had to of done it yourself.

Sorry you hate iOS7. But your reaction to it is... well over-the-top. Enough to call it a "horse shit OS", which isn't exactly fair... as your problem really seems to stem for your dislike of it's aesthetics. Obviously underneath it isn't dissimilar to iOS6. It seems like you have your solution though. Sell it and move on. Get a phone that works for you and does what you want it to. I hear general excitement for the Nexus 5. It may be the option you're looking/waiting for.
Jailbreaking is not illegal and does not void the warranty. Why do people jailbreak? Because they're dissatisfied with all the restrictions of iOS. All those restrictions of iOS6 remain in effect for iOS7, in addition to the awful aesthetics. There's no jailbreak for iOS7 and no way to downgrade. Once it's there, it's there to stay.

You clearly haven't taken an iPhone to an Apple store for service, recently. "Is your phone jailbroken?" is the first question asked of every person who needs service. It was asked of each person with iPhone problems who stood in line with me. Not a single person was denied service because of a jailbroken phone. The guy who took my phone noticed my jailbreak immediately, as I noted. A dead speaker had nothing to do with the OS, jailbroken or not.

As I stated at the beginning of my rant, I was completely happy with my iPhone prior to the unwanted upgrade. I don't want to switch to Android, but it seems to my only option if I want the ability to customize my phone to my liking. Had I been told that the upgrade was mandatory instead of being assured it wasn't, I'd at least have had the chance to decide whether to proceed or take it to a 3rd-party repair shop for the speaker problem.

Anyway, my appreciation for Apple products remains intact, despite my unpleasant experience today.

End rant.

Last edited:
Jailbreaking is not illegal and does not void the warranty. Why do people jailbreak? Because they're dissatisfied with all the restrictions of iOS. All those restrictions of iOS6 remain in effect for iOS7, in addition to the awful aesthetics. There's no jailbreak for iOS7 and no way to downgrade. Once it's there, it's there to stay.

You clearly haven't taken an iPhone to an Apple store for service, recently. "Is your phone jailbroken?" is the first question asked of every person who needs service. It was asked of each person with iPhone problems who stood in line with me. Not a single person was denied service because of a jailbroken phone. The guy who took my phone noticed my jailbreak immediately, as I noted. A dead speaker had nothing to do with the OS, jailbroken or not.

As I stated at the beginning of my rant, I was completely happy with my iPhone prior to the unwanted upgrade. I don't want to switch to Android, but it seems to my only option if I want the ability to customize my phone to my liking. Had I been told that the upgrade was mandatory instead of being assured it wasn't, I'd at least have had the chance to decide whether to proceed or take it to a 3rd-party repair shop for the speaker problem.

Anyway, my appreciation for Apple products remains intact, despite my unpleasant experience today.

End rant.

I understand why people jailbrake, my iPad is jailbroken. But the reason why people do it isn't relevant.
What is relevant is Apple's stance on Jailbreaking, that is to say they are starkly opposed to it. I have no idea what their internal policy is, but based upon what has happened to you and from what I've heard from other people, brining in your phone in that circumstance was basically a guarantee that your JB would be broken.

Sorry about your experience. I've had my own run-in with Apple in the past as well. Most of the times things go well, but it only takes the one to put a bad taste in your mouth.

I understand why people jailbrake, my iPad is jailbroken. But the reason why people do it isn't relevant.
What is relevant is Apple's stance on Jailbreaking, that is to say they are starkly opposed to it. I have no idea what their internal policy is, but based upon what has happened to you and from what I've heard from other people, brining in your phone in that circumstance was basically a guarantee that your JB would be broken.

Sorry about your experience. I've had my own run-in with Apple in the past as well. Most of the times things go well, but it only takes the one to put a bad taste in your mouth.

Are you saying it only takes one bad apple?

Jailbreaking is not illegal and does not void the warranty. Why do people jailbreak?

Most people I know jailbreak to steal apps/music.

I'm transitioning from an iPhone to a galaxy note 3 at the moment. It is nice having access to the file system and a giant screen.

I feel your pain. I am sorry I upgraded to that hideous POS iOS 7. I might sell my iPhone 5 and switch to a Windows phone next year.

My only hope is that an iOS 7 jailbreak will allow us to downgrade to iOS 6.

And the defensive comments come out...

Most apple geniuses have a hard line when it come to JB iphones. Big apple stores such as main store in Manhattan do not give you the time of day if your phone comes in JB. Everyone including apple themselves recognizes the potential of JBing, however their warranty is set up so they can LEGALLY deny a claim if they see something out of the normal. Remember water sensors yea...JBing can be the same but at least you can restore the device before bringing it in.

Jailbreaking is not illegal and does not void the warranty.

At the same time, Apple is under no obligation to do anything to preserve your jailbreak. They've stated as much several times. If they have to blow away your jailbreak in the process of doing something else, so be it.

Your Genius wasn't very good, but he didn't do anything wrong or unexpected.

Waaaaaaaaaa!

Jailbreaking is a violation of the usage agreement for iOS and hardware. Apple folk didn't need to give you the time of day if you brought in a jailbroken iPhone, and they generally don't service jailbroken devices. The fact that they didn't hassle anyone about it doesn't change that. Maybe they weren't up-front about the procedure, but they won't support a modified phone, for lots of reasonable reasons. Besides, I'm sure within a couple weeks a jailbreak will be out for iOS7.

The OP is entirely right. You payed for the phone, it is your property. He didn't ask for help with the jailbreak. He asked that his property does not get modified. You could probably take this to court if you lost data.

The simple fact is the 'genius' assistants lied to the OP, they knew full well the instant they got he phone it would be 'upgraded' to iOS7, yet they didn't tell him.

That's fraud, plain and simple. They could've refused to service the phone. They could've repaired the hardware defect.

I've taken my Android phone, rooted with a custom rom, and the store employees are much less condescending, some will say they're not allowed to help with it, but most of the times I get someone who understands.

They don't lie to you.

At the same time, Apple is under no obligation to do anything to preserve your jailbreak. They've stated as much several times. If they have to blow away your jailbreak in the process of doing something else, so be it.

He was flat out lied to. IMO anyone working for any company has an obligation not to outright lie to customers.

They could have said NO, we won't fix it without upgrading it. That is fine.

But they told him they wouldn't upgrade it, then they did.

it's standard operating procedure to flash the device to stock before trying to diagnose it

this is the case with *any* hardware not just apple devices
the first thing customer services tells you to do is restore the device

there isn't any way to determine whether a malfunctioning speaker is due to the jailbreak or faulty hardware. apple isn't going to just start replacing hardware on a whim and neither will any other company.

additionally, jailbreaking *does* invalidate applecare. luckily they didn't mark the serial as "tampered" because then the phone couldn't have ever been repaired even out of pocket.

finally, we don't have any evidence that anyone was lied to. we have one person telling another that the hardware didn't need to be upgraded before testing and fixing it. he also doesn't seem to be the one who repaired the device. again, this is all standard operating procedure and well documented within the jailbreak community. general advice is never take a jailbroken device into an apple store and request service on it. them asking if it's jailbroken isn't malicious...it's because they need to know whether there is unsigned, unsupported software on the device possibly causing the issue.

(and android is the same way. I've never been denied replacement for a rooted device with a custom ROM on it but it's certainly documented that they *could* deny service and all howto's explain how to return devices back to stock in the event of servicing it)

OP feel your pain but your the one who had a JB device and wanted it repaired at the company store, thats like modifying a 360 to play modded games and when it breaks trying to get MS to fix it for you. You are lucky they even fixed it for you in the first place, just turn off all the graphical nonsense in iOS7 and it runs pretty good even on my 4S. I think its both the OPs and iAssistants fault in this case. Also if you think about junmping ship to android have fun with having more hard lockups and reseting your phone way more often not including there kill app manager is horrible.

What were you expecting? They always flash to stock to run diagnostics, because there's no other way to rule out a software issue. Don't take a jailbroken device into an Apple Store and give it to an employee if you want it to stay jailbroken. It's not his call whether or not it gets updated, the software doesn't give him a choice. It makes the Genius flash to stock before he can run the diagnostic. In this case, flashing to stock means going to iOS 7.0.3 because that's the only version Apple is signing for the iPhone 5. Asking if he'd have updated a 3GS to iOS 7 is ridiculous because it doesn't exist for the 3GS. Instead, a 3GS would have been flashed to 6.1.3 which still would have resulted in the loss of jailbreak. This same thing would have happened if you had downloaded Apple's diagnostic software yourself and tried to run it at home.

If you only like iOS devices when they're not running iOS 7 it is indeed time to move on to another ecosystem, because iOS 6 is on its deathbed. Otherwise, cool your jets and wait for a jailbreak like everyone else. Some of the most talented people in the world are working on it as I type this.

it's standard operating procedure to flash the device to stock before trying to diagnose it

this is the case with *any* hardware not just apple devices
the first thing customer services tells you to do is restore the device

there isn't any way to determine whether a malfunctioning speaker is due to the jailbreak or faulty hardware. apple isn't going to just start replacing hardware on a whim and neither will any other company.

I was gonna go with this too. You should have repaired it yourself or accepted the consequences.

It's actually pretty easy.

http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-5-Loudspeaker/IF118-019-1

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+5+Speaker+Enclosure+Replacement/10701?revisionid=HEAD

That being said, not everyone dislikes iOS 7 so much. I know plenty of people who like it. I even came from a jailbroken 6.1.2 iPhone 5 to an iOS 7 iPhone 5s now and enjoy the upgrade, but I also understand not everyone is ready for the change. Looking back I personally don't really miss the jailbreak. Thre are a lot of things that iOS 7 improved on the UI front that I used to use the jailbreak to achieve.

What were you expecting?

I would be expecting that they would do what was agreed upon. That should NOT be a hard concept to grasp.

If they couldn't, they should do nothing.

If I drop my car off for an oil change, I better not get a new transmission and bill for $7000 without my express permission.

If you are touching my property, you only do to it what I tell you to/we agree upon.

Lesson for the future, Apple stores can't be trusted to maintain verbal agreements, so get it in writing.

I would be expecting that they would do what was agreed upon. That should NOT be a hard concept to grasp.

What was agreed upon was warranty service for a device that's not technically eligible for warranty service. Would you rather read an "Apple got rid of my jailbreak! I hate this!" thread or an "Apple won't service my jailbroken device! I hate this!" thread? Plenty of both online for your perusal.

You must be reading a different story because this one says:
I also made it explicitly, unmistakably clear that I did not want the OS upgraded to 7. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES did I want the OS changed. I wanted to keep my jailbreak.

He assured me that no software changes were required.

So no. What was agreed upon, was that there would be no software changes.

That agreement was violated.

I don't give a rats ass what policy states, or what happened to other people.

If you can't live up any agreement for any reason, then you don't make an agreement.

I have absolutely no problem with Apple saying No we won't service it unless it is flashed to iOS 7.

I have a problem with one thing being agreed to, and then completely violating that agreement.

Again, that shouldn't be hard to grasp.

Y'know, before I gave my jailbroken 4S to my sister, I took it to Apple for a dead headphone jack, last month. The Apple techs, who immediately noticed the jailbreak, didn't need to upgrade it from 6.1.2 to 7 for the diagnostics or repair. Guess I just got lucky that day, huh? For the record, I've never been refused warranty service for any of my jailbroken iPhones going all the way back to the 3GS.

Anyway, as expected some support my position, some don't. Maybe an OS7 jailbreak is closer than I thought. Time to move on...

The Apple techs, who immediately noticed the jailbreak, didn't need to upgrade it from 6.1.2 to 7 for the diagnostics or repair.

Did they repair it in-store or ship it out to Apple? Was it before 7.0.3 was released on Oct 22? If it was an in-house repair after Oct 22, there's some other software, procedure or device that's new to me.

At any time did you sign some sort of consent or otherwise indicate that they should service your phone? I'm betting yes, if it's like any other Apple store, and the verbiage in that supersedes whatever the dumb iworkers may tell you, if they in fact said that there would be no changes (perhaps they were implying that there would be no 'loss' of data). Anyhoo, this is probably more suited for http://whitewhine.com/

Did they repair it in-store or ship it out to Apple? Was it before 7.0.3 was released on Oct 22? If it was an in-house repair after Oct 22, there's some other software, procedure or device that's new to me.
Repairs to both phones were done on-site while I waited at the same Apple store. The 4S was repaired on 10/28/2013. My 5 was fixed yesterday.

At any time did you sign some sort of consent or otherwise indicate that they should service your phone? I'm betting yes, if it's like any other Apple store, and the verbiage in that supersedes whatever the dumb iworkers may tell you, if they in fact said that there would be no changes (perhaps they were implying that there would be no 'loss' of data). Anyhoo, this is probably more suited for http://whitewhine.com/
I did, in fact, sign the consent form which explicitly said the only work to be done was the speaker repair or replacement. Nothing was written about any software changes, upgrades, etc. I read things before I sign them. I saw that South Park episode.

Amazing how many Apple apologists there are here on [H]. You just can't bring yourselves to believe they did something wrong in my case.

Would you have been satisfied if the Apple employee told you the phone could not be fixed without upgrading the O/S?

Since you had jail broken it did you keep a copy of your SHSH blobs? If so you might be able to restore it back to ios6. I had a friend that did it on their 4 or 4s(can't remember) do to some issues that pop'd up. The instructions are online but you need the SHSH blobs.

Since you had jail broken it did you keep a copy of your SHSH blobs? If so you might be able to restore it back to ios6. I had a friend that did it on their 4 or 4s(can't remember) do to some issues that pop'd up. The instructions are online but you need the SHSH blobs.

You can do it without the blobs backed up apparently. Going to try on my lunch break. Quick google search, "downgrade ios7 without SHSH blobs"

Repairs to both phones were done on-site while I waited at the same Apple store. The 4S was repaired on 10/28/2013. My 5 was fixed yesterday.

This is new to me, thanks. Doesn't affect your situation though since the diagnostic procedure for 30-pin devices is different from the one for Lightning devices. I don't think it's possible to do diagnostics on Lightning devices without them being flashed to stock, but I'm obviously missing some materials that were amended recently, at least for the 4S. Lightning units have a special diagnostic and repair machine, 30-pin units have a procedure that involves connecting them to a Mac in the repair area. Unless Apple has changed something, what you were promised by the Genius (diagnostic without restore) is simply not possible on a Lightning unit, but it is for a 30-pin unit.

Only on an A4 device (iPhone 4 is the only A4 device supporting iOS 7).

Would you have been satisfied if the Apple employee told you the phone could not be fixed without upgrading the O/S?

I would like to know this too lol

Amazing how many Apple apologists there are here on [H]

Anyone that has worked within the technology field and tech support would side with Apple, once a hardware fix has been done a reflash to the most updated revision is commonly done. And to be honest if you have to jailbreak your own device to use it the way you want it Apple isnt made for you imo.

I would like to know this too lol
Yes. In that instance, I would have had the chance to decide whether to allow the OS7 upgrade, not have it sprung on me after being assured it would not. I would have declined any service on my phone. This would have given me some time to find out about a 3rd party repair and when/if an OS7 jailbreak was possible in the near future.

Anyone that has worked within the technology field and tech support would side with Apple, once a hardware fix has been done a reflash to the most updated revision is commonly done. And to be honest if you have to jailbreak your own device to use it the way you want it Apple isnt made for you imo.
If you get your laptop's speaker, keyboard, screen, etc. repaired, do you expect them to upgrade the OS in the process? Jailbreaking is a way to make a good device even better and more productive for the user. It's not for everyone, though.

No repair/service center will go ahead and done something the customer explicitly asks not to.

This whole thing is Apple smugness and 'we'll tell you what to do'. OP would've been perfectly happy had the store declined to service his iPhone.

But of course since its Apple they can do no wrong, right?

Yes. In that instance, I would have had the chance to decide whether to allow the OS7 upgrade, not have it sprung on me after being assured it would not. I would have declined any service on my phone. This would have given me some time to find out about a 3rd party repair and when/if an OS7 jailbreak was possible in the near future.

If you get your laptop's speaker, keyboard, screen, etc. repaired, do you expect them to upgrade the OS in the process? Jailbreaking is a way to make a good device even better and more productive for the user. It's not for everyone, though.

First off OP, you are part of [H]ardforum, a place where more than the average computer enthusiast roams and post. In keeping with that motto, why would you trust someone else, who you do not know, never seen their work in terms of repairs and the procedures you use to acknowledge and deliver on their verbal agreement. I think most of us acknowledge that our systems are in the best hands when their in our hands not some random strangers.

Second Your point about upgrade the OS after repair is actually on the contrary. If you look at the service contract, Apple has no legal obligation to withhold and maintain your data on the iphone during a repair. They explicitly direct all employees and customers to backup their data before undergoing a warranty repair. Apple is not alone, most mfgs state that this tidbit in their service contracts as well. Now its my understanding, since the phone did not come from the factory with a 3rd party JB, Apple considers the JB third party data, and thus has no obligation to maintain it.

Now in reality, the guy fixing your speaker could maintain the JB and give the device over to you as you gave him the device. However I can only assume that he did that for kicks or really needed to upgrade caz of some TSB.

Last edited:
Saying it requires being upgraded to iOS 7 is bullshit, they don't even boot up the OS to test it, they boot a separate debug OS that is never written to your phone. If they are doing their job correctly they won't even know it is jailbroken.

If it was in writing you can try to argue your point but unless it specifically said do not update to ios7. On the paperwork you are fucked. The person doing the work followed sop which I'm sure consists of upgrading the os. This is not apple's failure but a failure to document the scope of work. Atleast that is how I see it.

Or they were being smug assholes to a customer they didn't like. I have been guilty of that.

Back