I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Lian-Li is so high priced, but for QUALITY products and some of there cases i've seen, i've never seen before!

Lian-Li is so high priced, but for QUALITY products and some of there cases i've seen, i've never seen before!

This case is not expensive. It cost me $80. This is one of the only affordable Lian Li cases and a better deal than almost every other case in the price range due to aluminum construction and features.

I agree that the A05 is a very affordable case but when people see the HAF 922 and CM 690 for near the same price they generally see it as over priced. But what they don't see is the amazing construction, the features and the anodized aluminum (drool). Those other case, IMHO, are ugly cheap plastic toys.

I personally didn't choose the A05 because it was the most affordable Lian Li - I chose it because I love its size and how much it can fit not to mention the simple elegance. I actually traded a Rocketfish for my A05... lol talk about different sizes.

---

also did some more modding on my A05 the other day. I got sick of my single 120mm blow hole. The hole saw didn't leave a nice sleek cut and you could see the cut through the radgrill. I manned up and used a dremel to cut out the exact shape of the new 2 x 120mm rad. Here is a video of the mod... will post pics later.

Aluminum makes all the difference. I don't know why would pay the same price for stamped steel crap. It makes your case twice as heavy too.

Is there a new updated version coming soon? Looking at a few out of stock stores there's no indication of when more will arrive, of course it is a long boat ride from Taiwan so could just be coincidence that CeBit is only a few weeks away, but I am wondering now - maybe a tweaked version with USB 3.0 ports? 140mm fan support front and/or rear? This case also seems slightly unusual for Lian LI in that there is no window option.

In the past, new stuff would first appear on Lian-Li's website and then become available in retail outlets few months later. Based on that, I'd say there's nothing in the works (A05-wise). Likely, there will be new product announcements at CEBIT, but I don't see USB3.0 triggering a new version of the case as:
1) eSATA did not trigger it
2) they now have a replacement top (and that's where the connectors are), so they'll just update that or sell a new connector for the end-user to replace
Lastly, the current case has not been on the market all that long, so it's likely that it's not up for update this cycle.

For the side panels -- it's quite common for Lian-Li to make/sell replacement side-panels, so I don't see why they would create a new version of the case just to introduce a windowed panel. This year their "innovation" seems to be the introduction of blue, gold and grey colors.

I agree that the A05 is a very affordable case but when people see the HAF 922 and CM 690 for near the same price they generally see it as over priced. But what they don't see is the amazing construction, the features and the anodized aluminum (drool). Those other case, IMHO, are ugly cheap plastic toys.

I personally didn't choose the A05 because it was the most affordable Lian Li - I chose it because I love its size and how much it can fit not to mention the simple elegance.

Agreed. This was the same reason why I also chose the A05 and still have it for about three years now. :cool:

Is there a new updated version coming soon? Looking at a few out of stock stores there's no indication of when more will arrive, of course it is a long boat ride from Taiwan so could just be coincidence that CeBit is only a few weeks away, but I am wondering now - maybe a tweaked version with USB 3.0 ports? 140mm fan support front and/or rear? This case also seems slightly unusual for Lian LI in that there is no window option.

Remember, this case is almost 5 years old now and has gone through only two major changes. If anything, I think the only thing you could hope for is the inclusion of the new top cover with built in fan.

I'm not too fussed if it changes, or if there is a whole new mini tower design that replaces it. I just asked the question as a couple of stores I queried weren't sure when/if it was coming back into stock, and there is that broken link on the Lian Li website for the all new 2010 catalogue (just gives the 2009 catalogue.)

Figured there might be a really long wait if it were being replaced, and I definitely don't want to order any fans and heat sinks until I know I can order a case as well.

I'm not too fussed if it changes, or if there is a whole new mini tower design that replaces it. I just asked the question as a couple of stores I queried weren't sure when/if it was coming back into stock, and there is that broken link on the Lian Li website for the all new 2010 catalogue (just gives the 2009 catalogue.)

Figured there might be a really long wait if it were being replaced, and I definitely don't want to order any fans and heat sinks until I know I can order a case as well.

It's always been in stock @ newegg as far as I know. I've never seen it stocked by an actual brick and mortar store. Mine is from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112218
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112218

This is my pc-a05b.
Inside amd 6000x2 with zalman 9500 led, M2N32sli, 4gb corsair xms2 and 8800gt.

I must change the horrible noctua with other silent fans (maybe CM TLF-S12-ER red) and add a rheobus for my two Scythe SY1225SL12SH (110 CFM @ 37dB :eek:)

The grill on the top is a AC Ryan RadGrillz (Thrust).

p.s. sorry for my english, im italian ;)

Last edited:
Hey guys, my desktop rig is currently out of order because of a bad bios flash but I have been wondering about the fan setup in my A05B, I currently have a asus 4890 TOP in there with two fans as an intake and pushing the air of the back so it looks like this.

graphh.png

Red are 120mm fans
grey is the video card
and the black is a case.

Any advice?

the fan on the front is the wrong way round.
the fans on the top are ok thats how others have put them

the fan on the front is the wrong way round.
the fans on the top are ok thats how others have put them

Several people with top blowhole setups have used both the front and back fans as intakes with ok results.
At least that is what has been posted here.

With the front fan as an intake, it will be pulling hot air from the PSU right back into the case.

with this case were a normal case draws in air from the front and out the back this case draws air in afrom the back and out the front

I'm aware, I have a piece of foam stopping the hot air from the psu from being pushed in from the front intake fan which is how I have it, and I'm aware of how it was.

the only problem i see with blow hole fans is wouldent that pull the air away from the gpu.
wouldent it be better to have one of the blow hole fans reversed and ducted to the intake of the gpu.
i know i have done this on my 8800gtx but thats in the standerd atx placment

Yeah, that's pretty much why I posted for advice, to try to figure out if there is a better way to possibly place the fans then the current setup of the top fans taking away air from the GPU. The ASUS 4890 TOP card has a non reference design with 2 fans, hence the 2 arrows.

Yeah, that's pretty much why I posted for advice, to try to figure out if there is a better way to possibly place the fans then the current setup of the top fans taking away air from the GPU. The ASUS 4890 TOP card has a non reference design with 2 fans, hence the 2 arrows.

I have a similiar setup but with only one exhaust fan on top and I have the MSI 4890 Cyclone (1 big fan/heatsink). I haven't run into any problems with the temps at all even with a mild overclock. I haven't tried using it as an intake so I'm not sure if there would be a big difference or not. It shouldn't make a big difference because when I first drilled the hole out of my case my 8800GTS (at the time) dropped temps by 10c.

edit: I never switched the front fan on my case; I left it as an exhaust fan.

yeah the blow hole fans take away so much hot air it is untrue makes you wounder if you had no front and back fans just top and botton just how much air would be pushed through the case

i think the main mod i would do with this case is change it from been btx to an atx case just seems daft the way they have dont it

are your GPU temps suffering at all though? I know with my 2x120mm blow holes I have no worries about heat as they push air up and out they also bring cool air up and allow the GPU to intake it.

---

also some A05B pr0n for you guys. I have been modding my stuff recently so I guess I'll post some pics here since this thread is what got me to purchase this case in the first place.

new 120mm blow hole

img1109e.jpg

img1115e.jpg

img1130l.jpg

and here is how I fit 2 x 120mm rad's into this case. just needed to hack a corsiar h50 lol dropped my load temps 10c over the stock config :D

img1180j.jpg

img1174oa.jpg

img1175rp.jpg

I love this case.

I'm aware, I have a piece of foam stopping the hot air from the psu from being pushed in from the front intake fan which is how I have it, and I'm aware of how it was.

pics? :)

ALL:
Any ideas on how to run/hide extra cables from a huge/non-modular PSU?
I love my PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad Red 750W ATX12V, but all these wires drive me crazy. I do NOT want to cut off the ones I am not using.
Help/tips/tricks appreciated!

also some A05B pr0n for you guys. I have been modding my stuff recently so I guess I'll post some pics here since this thread is what got me to purchase this case in the first place.

new 120mm blow hole

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8494/img1109e.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6162/img1115e.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/780/img1130l.jpg[/IMG

and here is how I fit 2 x 120mm rad's into this case. just needed to hack a corsiar h50 lol dropped my load temps 10c over the stock config :D

[IMG]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6296/img1180j.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5489/img1174oa.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8526/img1175rp.jpg[/IMG

I love this case.[/QUOTE]

Is it sad that I can tell you have a jerker from the pics? :) love dem jerkers :)

pics? :)

ALL:
Any ideas on how to run/hide extra cables from a huge/non-modular PSU?
I love my PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad Red 750W ATX12V, but all these wires drive me crazy. I do NOT want to cut off the ones I am not using.
Help/tips/tricks appreciated!

Sorry, I don't have any pictures or a camera:confused: it's a simple mod really. Just take a thick but thin piece of foam and tape it in between the psu exhaust area and the 120mm fan area and put the cover back on.

hey guys is this case and this one similar? LIAN LI PC-A05NB or is it an upgraded version?

A05B is the original case from the release that you can see in the beginning of this thread back in 2006 !!!

A05NB was released in early 2009 I think. Same case but with some differences. You can see the evolution of the case through the thread.

thanks for breaking it down for me, hella pages =P kinda lazy to go through each one but i will eventually.

oh yeah ati 5 series card should fit this mofo easiler? also do people here with this case mainly have a ATX mobo or microATX?

I'm sure that most people are using ATX motherboards. The ATI 5970 will not fit unless you mod the case but it will fit a 5870 depending on your situation (mobo placement and #of hard drives you'll be using).

Here is a pic from this thread with a 5870.
fits good

edit: Looks like a 5970 may fit with this user's current configuration...It would still be very snug though.

i just pulled the trigger and ordered mine last night from mwave.com for 104 shipped! cheapest price I found.

^thanks! I'm sorry but i'm really new to this case modding stuff, what tool(s) do I need to completely strip down my case to paint it? what kind of paint job do you guys recommend? I want the internal to have a flat matte black look.

^thanks! I'm sorry but i'm really new to this case modding stuff, what tool(s) do I need to completely strip down my case to paint it? what kind of paint job do you guys recommend? I want the internal to have a flat matte black look.

If this is your first case mod and you don't know how to take apart a case, perhaps painting it should not be the first thing you try. You'll need a screwdriver for screws and a powerdrill to drill out rivets.

Ideally, soak parts in strong paint thinner or brake fluid, polish, powdercoat and bake in an oven. If you can't afford that, sand the case, spray paint primer, and spray paint krylon, spray matte or glossy clearcoat.

If this is your first case mod and you don't know how to take apart a case, perhaps painting it should not be the first thing you try. You'll need a screwdriver for screws and a powerdrill to drill out rivets.

Ideally, soak parts in strong paint thinner or brake fluid, polish, powdercoat and bake in an oven. If you can't afford that, sand the case, spray paint primer, and spray paint krylon, spray matte or glossy clearcoat.

yes this will be my first case mod. Ookay so power drill to drill out rivets, how will I do this?
I'll get that paint job done, don't similar to car stuff.

Hi all,

Anyone tried fitting this cases with Corsair H50 water cooling kits?

Also will there be an adverse effect if i reversed the air flows (cool air coming in from front instead of back)?

Just recently bought 1 and not modded yet. Front panel closed gives me 44C idle and when open gives me 39C (unlocked AMD x2 5000 dual core to Phenom FX-5000 quad core @ 3.3GHz).

Thanks and more power to Lian Li users!

Back