I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Night shots and more distanced pictures would be nice for more of a full view of the front of the case.

Good ol' performance-pcs...they've always served me well.

From what I remember I got my old Lian-Li drive bay covers for the same price locally, which surprised me.

Martmann,
I just ordered one from Newegg. I've been following this thread for awhile now and also saw your photos on Webshots. What is the part number of the pem nuts you used for your HDD cage? What thumb screws did you use? And did you ever solve the unreversible fan/BS-03 dilemma?
Thanks for the inspiration.

Anyone know if a Corsair HX1000 will fit in here. I've done the measurements a few times over and it looks like it might fit, but be REALLY tight. Just want to see if anyone has tried this before I buy one...

I'm planning to order mine today. But before I do, anyone know if the following will fit in there:

1) XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
2) Thermaltake W0106RU 700W

My setup is going to look like this, in addition to the two above:

Intel e8400
Intel P5Q Pro
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2-800
MSI HD 4850 (with aftermarket cooler)
WD Caviar 640gb
Asus blu-ray combo drive

If the Xigmatek doesn't fit, then I'll probaly go with a Zalman 9500 or 9700. Thanks.

Anyone know if a Corsair HX1000 will fit in here. I've done the measurements a few times over and it looks like it might fit, but be REALLY tight. Just want to see if anyone has tried this before I buy one...

This may not help, but I have a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad in mine:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011
It is: 150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 180mm(L)
Quite a tight fit, but works fine. Plus mine is NOT modular.

The 1000HX (or ( HX1000W ) is 150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 200mm(L)

May be cutting is close. Search this thread for '1000' or 1000W..... or even 750w shows a few good pics....

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032109236&postcount=1518

I decided to go with the Corsair HX620 instead because I know it will fit. Another question for you PC-a05b experts:

Is running to 4850s in crossfire going to be too hot for the case? I don't plan on making any blowhole mods or anything. The build would look like this now:

Case: Lian Li PC-a05b
PSU: Corsair hx620 modular
CPU: Intel Q6600
Mobo: Intel P5Q Pro
RAM: G.skill 4GB DDR2-1000
GPU: 2x 4850 in crossfirex mode
Optical: Asus blu-ray combo drive
HDD: WD 640GB Caviar
Cooler: Xigmatek 1283 w/ retention bracket
Extras: 2x DVD drive covers, Lian Li 3.5" fan controller, 1x PCI slot fan cooler.

I might do one 4850 or one 4870 instead because I'm worried about heat being an issue. Any feedback in this regard would help. Thanks.

Unfortunately yea, unless you get a BS-02/03 exhaust over the 2 cards to pull hot air out, those 4850's don't exhaust hot air outside the case like the dual-slot 4870's do...

I figured that, thanks for your reply. But one 4870 would be ok, right? And if I decided to add another 4870 later, would that work, because they exhaust outside the case?

Unfortunately yea, unless you get a BS-02/03 exhaust over the 2 cards to pull hot air out, those 4850's don't exhaust hot air outside the case like the dual-slot 4870's do...

I'll chime in as well.

Yes...a pair of 4850's is gonna be a little more then warm in that case, I'd go with a single 4870 if I were you, more then enough graphics power...your system outlined is very similar to mine, probably almost the same GSkill memory even, I've got my Q6600 @ 3GHz in my shuttle and I can play Crysis @ 1680x1050 with everything on high with 2xAA just fine.

I wouldn't worry about needing the pair of 4850's...you'll have less noise and heat in the case with a single 4870 and performance is just fine.

Cept I have my Visiontek at 830/2200 :D!

You got a lower VID on your Q6600, mine is @ 1.275 which is the lowest I can go in my BIOS...

I still plan to move to a K7B from the A05B... dual front 120's, rear 120, 5 x HDD bays and the same price as the A05B basically... Only issue is Steel internal, but Aluminum external is the same... :D

Ok gents, thanks for the input. I'm going to go with a single 4870, probably the MSI version because it comes with GRID, is on the cheaper end as far as 4870s go, and is overclocked to 780/2000 out of the factory. I notice though that people seem to like the Visiontek? Is there a compelling reason that I should go with that one instead?

Otherwise things look good? I'm going to put in my order tomorrow morning. Hopefully the free shipping deal won't be gone by then!

My recently built A05B, specs in sig
img.php
What was used to cut the opening for the window and the blowholes? Jigsaw or Dremel or both? I've been reading a lot of this thread (at least 40-50 pages so far) and I know a lot about the case itself so I ordered one. I've been looking at a good small case for a long time that would replace my full tower case. I will be adding a blowhole to the top and a case window but I've never done anything like this before. I have the patience but I just don't have the skills, how hard can it be?

I have been a reading this threat for about 1.5 months (yeah, i read the whole thing:eek:)

I just wanted to say thanks to all the dedicated fans of this case who helped inspire me to buy it and use it for my mobile PC mod. I'll have a few pics up in a day or two and my worklog by the end of the week.

Stay tuned for some crazy stuff...:D

What was used to cut the opening for the window and the blowholes? Jigsaw or Dremel or both? I've been reading a lot of this thread (at least 40-50 pages so far) and I know a lot about the case itself so I ordered one. I've been looking at a good small case for a long time that would replace my full tower case. I will be adding a blowhole to the top and a case window but I've never done anything like this before. I have the patience but I just don't have the skills, how hard can it be?

I wanted to jump in with some new info before you made your blowhole. Go to your favorite hardware store and purchase a Dremel circle cutter. I don't know why everyone recommends a hole saw, but this is a lot cheaper and you can actually make any size hole you want! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HI5WTY

I'll have more details on my worklog by the end of the week, so keep an eye out on this thread for a link.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wanted to jump in with some new info before you made your blowhole. Go to your favorite hardware store and purchase a Dremel circle cutter. I don't know why everyone recommends a hole saw, but this is a lot cheaper and you can actually make any size hole you want! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HI5WTY

I'll have more details on my worklog by the end of the week, so keep an eye out on this thread for a link.

The Dremel circle cutter is great for things like wood, drywall, etc. But I would not recommend it for metal.

A nice hole saw does a much better job on metal than the dremel circle cutter.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Martmann,
I just ordered one from Newegg. I've been following this thread for awhile now and also saw your photos on Webshots. What is the part number of the pem nuts you used for your HDD cage? What thumb screws did you use? And did you ever solve the unreversible fan/BS-03 dilemma?
Thanks for the inspiration.

The PEMs are CLS-M4-2 (click for specs). You can buy thier equivalent HERE

The thumbscrews are P/N: 62935K11 from McMaster-Carr (copy p/n, click link, paste p/n in the "Find Products" box).

(For those who want to see the post that generated these questions, click HERE to go to that post.)

Nope, I still haven't used the BS-03 yet, because I don't want it blowing out the case.

Last edited:
Dang it. I went back and forth all weekend about getting another one of these cases on New Egg. I finally made my decision, just to find out they now charging $19+ for shipping again. :mad: Oh well, looks like I'm not getting another one (for now ;))

Martmann,
Thanks for the reply. I thought I'd read every page in this thread but somehow missed that one.
Do you think that BS-03 would fit a 5.25" opening in the front of the case; maybe behind a BZ-501 bezel?

The Dremel circle cutter is great for things like wood, drywall, etc. But I would not recommend it for metal.

A nice hole saw does a much better job on metal than the dremel circle cutter.

Don't knock it before you try it:) The medium you're cutting through has more to do with the bit you're using, not the jig that's holding it. If you are OK with cutting into metal with the dremel by hand, then you're OK using the circle cutter. Plus, this is aluminum we're talking about. If it was steel, then I'd be on your side:D

I used it on 2 holes with absolutely ZERO problems. Very clean edges, the AL cuts like butter. Just use a metal cutting bit and go slow.

Don't knock it before you try it:) The medium you're cutting through has more to do with the bit you're using, not the jig that's holding it. If you are OK with cutting into metal with the dremel by hand, then you're OK using the circle cutter. Plus, this is aluminum we're talking about. If it was steel, then I'd be on your side:D

I used it on 2 holes with absolutely ZERO problems. Very clean edges, the AL cuts like butter. Just use a metal cutting bit and go slow.

My experience is trying to use it on steel, since that is what most cases are made out of. Over the years a nice 120mm hole saw was a great investment. If this was going to be his only mod, then I'd say go ahead with the circle cutter; but I have a feeling like most of us he will get the modding bug and soon all of his cases will have blow holes. If that is the case then I still suggest a hole saw.

My experience is trying to use it on steel, since that is what most cases are made out of. Over the years a nice 120mm hole saw was a great investment. If this was going to be his only mod, then I'd say go ahead with the circle cutter; but I have a feeling like most of us he will get the modding bug and soon all of his cases will have blow holes. If that is the case then I still suggest a hole saw.

Fair enough. I'm glad we discussed it here. That way I won't be so against the hole saw in my worklog.

PS- Don't buy steel cases;)

I cut out a hole for my 2x120 radgrill this weekend. It was extremely easy compared to when I cut out a window in my old antec. My jigsaw with a bi-metal blade cut through it like nothing.

I stopped into Fastenal today and got some #10 socket caps screws and nylon locking nuts. They'd be the perfect size if I had a tap for the holes, but I don't so I'll just drill em out a bit. For mounting the fans to the grill I'm going to try Nexus rubber fan mounts. Should be getting those with a pair of slipstream fans before Friday.

i wouldn't mind getting a different reset button because it is too small and my fingers aren't small enough to press it I have to get like a pen or something. Good thing I never use the reset though.

Back