I got a giant compaq paperweight

Did you install Norton Ghost in Windows ? Your best bet is to install Windows on the new hard drive with the old drive disconnected. Then hook up the old drive as a slave drive after you get Windows setup. I installed Ghost last weekend and it screwed my drive up just like it did to yours. Try booting to the XP CD and try to do a Repair with the Repair Console. I'll bet it says the Drive is Partitioned as C =8KB and D = the rest of the drive. On C you will find the Ghost stuff, on D will be the rest of your files including Windows.

*Tip*
Put ghost.exe on a floppy disk and boot to a Win98 boot floppy. Then put in the floppy with ghost.exe on it and run it from A:\ghost.exe. No ghost install needed.

It's usually F1 or F2 to get into a newer Compaq BIOS.... just keep tapping the key as soon as the computer reboots.

there is no getting into the bios, its just not going to happen for some reason. Mayebe if I try taking out all drives all together?

I don't have any windows XP disks, and I seem to have lost my backup disks as well. So on that note, anyone feel like burning a windows XP home disk for me?;) :rolleyes: my e-mail is [email protected] :D

To clear the CMOS, I always just take the mobo battery out for a few seconds.

It does the same thing no matter how I try and reset the cmos, take the battery out, puch the button, plugged in and pushing the button. All resets it as far as I can tell.

Back