I can't find a pasive cooled AGP 6600 anywhere

Anybody know any actual manufacturers that made passively cooled, 6600 agp's?

Pretty sure i could find one that way, it's a lot of fruitless searching otherwise...

gigabyte was the most popular, but I am pretty sure Xfx made one too. not BFG for sure. PNY is doubtful.

too bad about the zipzoomfly. i searched for the gt version of the silentpipe and the cheapest I can find it for is near $190.

is a 2 slot solution like the zalman or the arctic cooling silencer out of the question? does the old zalman heat pipe work on a 6600?

FraGGleR said:
does the old zalman heat pipe work on a 6600?
That's a good question. I have one of those zalmans sitting on a dead Ti 4200 right now. I wonder if it would work?

IDversusEGO said:
half those links end up eing PCIe boards anyway and the other half end up being out of stock. this one says it's agp, but the model number turns up as PCIe on the manufacturer page.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322276&affiliate=froogle

Looks like I am screwed.
This is very odd. It's funny too because I was considering buying this exact card when I was looking for my HTPC card.
FWIW. I ended up getting the x1600, which is silent, btw.

problem with most of those silent replacement coolers is the height. My case does no allow for much of a height increse over the card. The new zalman copper cooler might work. It is active, but is supposed to be very hard to hear.

IDversusEGO said:
problem with most of those silent replacement coolers is the height. My case does no allow for much of a height increse over the card. The new zalman copper cooler might work. It is active, but is supposed to be very hard to hear.
When I said silent, I didn't mean passive. The x1600 series are often run passive in PCIe form, but for whatever reason the OEMs decided to slap fans on the AGP models. Thankfully, the HSF that Sapphire uses is high quality, and the fan hardly spins. I literally have to put my ear up to the video card to hear it, and even then only the air moving is audible. This is in a SFF. I have quiet 90 and 80mm panaflos on my CPU and exhaust, and I hear them way before I would ever hear the video card. All the fans are quieter than my 7200.8, and everything gets drowned out by my damn Pioneer DVD-rom. I need to replace that thing.
Anyways, I've gone on long enough. I just thought I'd share my experience with you :)

The only one I know is the Gigabyte GV-N66T128VP.

And it appears out of stock everywhere.....I had 2 GV-N68128DH's but the DVI connector stopped working on one...when I sent it back in they said they had no more NVIDIA heatpiped cards.......so I ended up getting a GV-R80128D as a replacement.

A buddy of mine ordered the one from ZipZoomFly, and the one he got is actually the AGP version.

Well, ZipZoomFly has one less now. I have been debating if I should replace my ATI 9600se for quite a while now, and I have seen the good results of this card at my buddys place with his sharp projector.

$130 is impossible to beat for this card, with passive cooling.

Id,

If you can afford to lose the slot next to your card, I don't believe the Arctic coolers increase the height of the card. I also have read that the new coolers aren't as quiet as the original (which had user selectable speed settings). The newest Zalman (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835118001) is overkill for a 6600, but it looks to be the king of coolers according to initial reviews. Virtually silent at 5v and plenty of cooling power. It does look like it increases the height, however. I am interested to hear how you solve this little situation.

FraGGleR said:
Id,

If you can afford to lose the slot next to your card, I don't believe the Arctic coolers increase the height of the card. I also have read that the new coolers aren't as quiet as the original (which had user selectable speed settings). The newest Zalman (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835118001) is overkill for a 6600, but it looks to be the king of coolers according to initial reviews. Virtually silent at 5v and plenty of cooling power. It does look like it increases the height, however. I am interested to hear how you solve this little situation.
I guess it depends on the video card if you can control the fan speeds or not. My x800 with whatever newest revision of the AS plugs into the fan power connector on the video card, and from that point ATiTool can control the fan speeds.

the zalman does increase height if you want the ram cooled properly. some of the artic cooling silencers adjust the height somewhat. No matter, I am ordering 2 of the gigabyte cards from ZZF this afternoon.

IDversusEGO said:
the zalman does increase height if you want the ram cooled properly. some of the artic cooling silencers adjust the height somewhat. No matter, I am ordering 2 of the gigabyte cards from ZZF this afternoon.
Passive SLI? What are you building?

Edit: obviously it's not SLI because it's agp

I am upgrading the cards in 2 of my clients. I am still trying to get my sage network upgraded to take advantage of the Fusion card I put in a while back. had some PSU issues that demanded attention first though.

Just as confirmation, I recieved my card, and it is indeed AGP. Havent installed it yet though, to busy.

Back