I am frustrated with my Nexus 7

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
Why? Because when I load up a site on my iPad or iPhone it loads the "mobile" version in that it plays an HTML5 version of a video, when I use my Nexus 7, it tries the "full" site, and complains I don't have flash installed "Jibjab.com" is the one right now I am complaining about. Any idea HOW to get this to work on my Nexus 7, or ANY android device?

Isnt there a toggle to "request desktop site" under the browser somewhere? I know on some of my Android devices I have this option, and unchecking it simply returns the mobile website. No idea if the Nexus 7 has this, as I dont have that device.

This thread is more appropriate in the General Software section.

Use a different browser. Dolphin can identify to sites as an iPad which will force the site to send you the HTML5 version of the video.

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot... if a mod wants to move it.

But I tried Dolphin as well, and it still gives me desktop site.

Firefox, Chrome, Dolphin.... they all show me a desktop site on my Nexus 7 :(

The cause truly has nothing to do with the Nexus or any tablet itself, but how the website does a redirect based on browser agent. If they don't detect the browser agent or isn't in their list for the redirect.. it doesn't direct your traffic for the mobile optimized page.

The cause truly has nothing to do with the Nexus or any tablet itself, but how the website does a redirect based on browser agent. If they don't detect the browser agent or isn't in their list for the redirect.. it doesn't direct your traffic for the mobile optimized page.

Yup. Broken website.

1) get flash 11.1
2) get the boat browser
3) enjoy your flash websites.

It has more to do with html5 being browser specific. Right now I'm actually making a media site (very light compared to what I used to do with flash sites because any more would be impractical), and I have the site specifically looking for ipad before generating the interface because the Android version does not work properly with ipad coded javascript.

The desktop version is still in flash because getting it to work on ie, Firefox and chrome (not to mention safari which I no longer have access to so I can't test) is going to be a nightmare.

BTW, site made for desktop Chrome is broken on mobile Chrome.

Last edited:
i just realized that i can barely type on my nexus 7. there is something goofy about the keyboard, it keeps wiping out what i type. dont have this flakyneqss on my n10.

Last edited:
Some sites use piss poor mobile detection code, that's not a nexus7 or Android issue.

i just realized that i can barely type on my nexus 7. there is something goofy about the keyboard, it keeps wiping out what i type. dont have this flakyness on my n10.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. Definably something funny going on.

On Firefox, first try to just have it request the mobile version etc... I found it has a built-in feature for this. Next, you can try the user agent switcher - though there is built-in functionality, it may be nice to get an addon that makes it as easy as a pull down menu. Phony is such an addon - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/mobile/addon/phony/?src=search made specifically for mobile Firefox. Alternately, you can grab latest editions of Flash if you wish, as Nexus7 has the power to run even crappy Flash well.

i just realized that i can barely type on my nexus 7. there is something goofy about the keyboard, it keeps wiping out what i type. dont have this flakyneqss on my n10.

Use Swype... the only way to type on a Nexus 7! :D

Back