I am back - need some advice

Rebel44

2[H]4U
Hi everyone,

Long story short: last year I lost my job and I was unemplyed for over 6 months so I had to stop folding to save some money on my bills. I have new job since january so I decided to return to F@H.

I have Q6600 @3Ghz, 8GB RAM and HD4870 512MB. This PC is running Win7 64bit.
New HW will have to wait for some time because I have to pay off CC and loan I had to take.

I would like advice how to get max PPD from this PC.

Thanks

A Q6600 should run the Windows SMP client with the -admethods and -smp 4 flags to get the A3 SMP WUs and receive the bonus points. It will take 10 successfully completed WUs to qualify for the bonus points and you need to get your F@H passkey. You can also run the GPU client with your Ati card in conjunction with the SMP client. I think that's probably the best way to maximize this system until you can upgrade or build another box. Other people might have differing advice. Hope this helps and welcome back!. :) :cool:

+1 ... Win SMP is the way to go, with a GPU client thrown in for good measure. Welcome back!

A Q6600 should run the Windows SMP client with the -admethods and -smp 4 flags to get the A3 SMP WUs and receive the bonus points. It will take 10 successfully completed WUs to qualify for the bonus points and you need to get your F@H passkey. You can also run the GPU client with your Ati card in conjunction with the SMP client. I think that's probably the best way to maximize this system until you can upgrade or build another box. Other people might have differing advice. Hope this helps and welcome back!. :) :cool:

Thanks for advice.

Is there some info how much PPD I would get from different CPUs and GPUs ? numbers I remember from early 2009 are likely obsolete.

Thanks for advice.
No problem. :)

Is there some info how much PPD I would get from different CPUs and GPUs ? numbers I remember from early 2009 are likely obsolete.
A lot has indeed changed and I don't know much about the Ati client having run only a 3850 myself. I estimate around 4500 PPD with good WUs and both SMP+GPU clients. This is just a ballpark figure and I could be way off.

I reread your post and may have misunderstood what you were asking. Are you inquiring what various modern hardware like different CPUs and GPUs perform like today with current WUs?

You can try the gpu client but I actually get more ppd by folding on cpu alone than with my HD5770. The ppd on ATI cards isn't that great anyway, and the cpu hit makes it less productive than just folding on cpu alone.

i7-920@ 4.0 is the best price per ppd. with no gpu client running smp 15,000 to 17,000 ppd around 23,000 ppd when paired with a gtx-260. your q6600 should get around 5000 ppd someone correct me if im wrong. i wouldnt fold on the ati card from what i have read it takes to many cpu cycles.

Correct

also, even more advantageous now to use smp with the new a3 windows client which gets a slight boost
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back