I am at my wit's end with this ti4200!!

Wratchet

n00b
I bought a BFG Ti4200 128mb in the summer and it was working great until just before Christmas.

I don't know if this is related, but in BF1942 textures would flash and dissapear and sometimes random objects from the game would flash on my screen. Needless to say this was very annoying and made the game unplayable.

I re-installed BF thinking that would fix it, it did not.

Shortly after in Windows XP, I noticed my monitor would go "click-click", "click-click" and act like it was switching video modes, but never actually change anything. Sometimes it would do this 4 times in a row and stop me from being able to do anything while it did its thing.

3dmark or any 3d game would give me lovely corrupted graphics, textures that stretch right off the screen in all directions.

I phoned BFG technical support and they seemed like they had heard of this before, but didn't really let on too much. The guy imediately got me to check my IRQs in Device Manager. He didn't seem convinced that that was the problem however. When he found out I was from Canada he told me I do have warranty coverage but "bfg doesn't ship to Canada" :mad: :mad: :mad:

I took the card back to the shop and swapped it (against my better judgement) for the exact same model. Right off I noticed the "click-click" problem was gone, good! But there were stray pixels that would appear from time to time randomly on the screen. I thought I could live with that.

I tried playing BF again a couple of days ago (I hadn't tried it since I swapped cards last week) Surprise surprise the exact same corrupted graphics. 3dmark is just as corrupted as ever :mad:

I now get corrupted grapics on boot! In my bios the graphics are corrupted!

I have tried everything short of swapping MBs. I have flashed to the latest bios, formatted and reinstalled, tried the latest drivers, tried Directx 8,9, 9b.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Soon I am just going to demand my money back and get something ATI. I will _never_ purchase another BFG product due to stupid warranties and I am now thinking the p4p800 is a lemon (other people in different forums with other weird issues).

Thank you for reading this.

My system:
p4p800
P4 2.4c @3.1
2x512MB OCZ pc 3200
BFG ti4200 128MB
Maxtor 80GB, Maxtor 120GB
Echo Mia sound card
Ennermax 350 Watt power supply

Originally posted by Wratchet
Soon I am just going to demand my money back and get something ATI
do u think that Nvidia will give u ur money back?
if yes the awesome :D
if i were u, i would get a 9800Pro whenever u can, awesome card

have you tried not overclocking your cpu and running things at stock.. i know it seems unrelated but p4p800 does have some weird issues not only with nVidia cards but ATi too.. do you have the deluxe or regular model.. never heard anything good abt them regular models.. i seriously do not know much about mobo compat w/ your card in particular but running things at stock and re-installing windows can help..

also set AGP thingie to fixed in BIOS!

Well I guess I should try ...gasp... running at stock :(

So the p4p800 has issues? Awsome I got a friggin' lemon I used to love Asus I now think they suck.

I have the regular p4p800 non deluxe.

I already re-installed windows twice! Also I am getting corruption _on boot_ and corrupted graphics in my bios.

As for AGP set to fixed, you mean 33/66 right? If so its already set.

Thanks

Well I am now running at complete bios default and everything is exactly the same. :(

it seems that you have tried everything.. the last thing i would do before returning the card is grab a friend's card preferably ti 4200 and/or higher.. no use testing a geforce 2 now.. and see if it does the same.. if yes its the mobo.. otherwise its the card..

best of luck buddy.. i do not know much abt the nVidia cards since I went ATi..

another thing that comes to my mind is what happened to me a while back with my geforce 2 card.. it was an mx 400 and i overclocked the crap out of that little bugger.. and it went completely boinks.. ha! but then i kept it at stock.. kept it out of my comp and gave it a rest for 1 month.. then removed the fan and applied some thermal paste.. and the damn thing started to work.. the thing wasnt even running in 16bit and/or 32 bit mode after the overclock and now it plays anything you throw at it.. albeit at stock speeds.. i sold it for 20 bucks two days back or so.. ha!

I know the story might not help you much but that weird lines i used to have and not posting when in 16 bit and 32 bit mode was pretty scary.. and now it works.. but since your new card isnt overclocked i see the story is not relevant.. fuck i talk too much.. damn!

As it spans over 2 cards I'm betting a voltage issue. Could be capacitors going out on the mainboard or it could be the power supply itself.

If it is the mainboard, odds are a card with a molex power connector would work, however just mask the problem. If it is your power supply, none will work.

Been there, fixed that after it bit me in the ass. Test the system with another power hungry card before you go flaming BFG or spending any more money.

Good suggestions, maybe it is the power supply.

Oldman, you had the same sort of problem? I need to find a good card to try in this one's place.

Thanks for the input guys.

Back