I am a PSU retard; questions about rails and amps...

Twinkie

Gawd
I've read some of Ice Czar's postings but still have a few lingering questions:

Takaman's Power Supply Calculator tells me I need the following:

3.3V line MAX -- 9.5

5V line MAX -- 8.6

12V line MAX -- 17

3.3 + 5V combined MAX -- 74.4

3.3 + 5 + 12V combined MAX -- 279.3

total output -- 289.3

My questions are the following:

1. Are there any dangers or risks in going with a PS that exceeds those numbers (hypothetically, 30 on the 12v line)?

2. Budget power supplies that meet the above requirements?

you can exceed those numbers by however much you want.

a PSU with 30a on the 12v rail is capable of sourcing 30a, but it'll only push as much as it needs to in order to keep the rail at 12v.

300 - 400w Antec and Fortron/Sparkle PSUs should suit you just fine.

Twinkie said:
1. Are there any dangers or risks in going with a PS that exceeds those numbers (hypothetically, 30 on the 12v line)?

2. Budget power supplies that meet the above requirements?

1. Generally speaking no, the more the better, and the less stress placed on the PSU,
the better it can deal with a dynamic draw from interior components, and dirty source power

but its strange you mentioned that :p
there have been a few issues with PCP&C Turbo Cool 510 that I have heard (38A Peak on the +12V)
where if its drawing too little the fan which is controlled in relation to the total draw, wouldnt be spinning enough to keep the PSU cool longterm
but thats a $200 supply that few would buy if they didnt actually need it (thus with a draw that would keep the fan spinning fast enough), and the issue was addressed

2. Budget these days is $65 > $75 (IMO) considering the likely components a gamer would want to run
but if you could swing it Id recommend
an Antec NeoWin as a powerful, stable and futureproof solution and has a $30 instant rebate currently,
its a fully compliant ATX12V v2.0 solution that will see you through several mobos $120 (w\ rebate)
completely backward compatible and a really sharp PSU that will see you into PCI Express Video cards,
gives you alot of SATA options, has both 20 and 24 pin connections ect
actually has dual +12V rails

however if you need only to address this mobo Fortron FSP530-60GNA $75
ATX12V v1.3 compatible (20 pin main connector) single +12V rail

Back