Hyper-V V-Switch Questions

SKiTLz

2[H]4U
I'm aware of the differences in Hyper-V Virtual Switches (External, Internal, Private).

What I am not clear on is how VM to VM traffic on the same HyperVisor is handled through an 'External' V-Switch. For instance.

VM #1 Hosted on Parent Hypervisor1
VM #2 Hosted on Parent Hypervisor1
Both have Synthetic NIC connected to an External V-Switch
Both are on the same subnet

So would traffic from VM #1 to VM #2 flow through the External V-Switch and out onto the physical LAN and then back in or would it be switched at the V-Switch directly to VM #2.

Also are V-Switches VLAN aware?

In the scenario you described, the traffic should be switched internally.

The V-switch can assign traffic to VLANs. I am not aware of any way to switch traffic between VLANs in the V-Switch. If the two VMs are bound to different VLANs then the traffic would leave on the physical interface and could not be switched internally.

In the scenario you described, the traffic should be switched internally.

The V-switch can assign traffic to VLANs. I am not aware of any way to switch traffic between VLANs in the V-Switch. If the two VMs are bound to different VLANs then the traffic would leave on the physical interface and could not be switched internally.

That is what I thought. No worries about InterVLAN routing on the V-Switch. I didn't think it could do that. I fully expected it to leave onto the physical network for that.

I just can't find any definitive confirmation from Microsoft that an External V-Switch will switch internally for the same subnet traffice. I didn't want to have to assign a second NIC to all VM's on an 'Internal' V-Switch.

Back