Hyper 212+

DWolvin

2[H]4U
Silly question to those in the know, but I just built a box with a Hyper 212+, and it seemed pretty straight forward after getting the backplate and cross brace sorted... But I noticed that even with the spring loaded screws bottomed the heatsink is able to pivot a bit (rotate on the heatspreader of the processor). I douple checked the tightness all around, shrugged and booted. Temps seem OK, but I'm paranoid (F@H box). Should it be tight enough to not move?

Yes it will be able to "spin" a bit left to right even when properly installed. Nothing to worry about.

It shouldn't move easily, but it will rotate if you try to rotate it.

There should be enough force with the springs to hold the hsf securely to the cpu and it should only rotate if you try to.

By "pivot a bit" you mean a few millimeters right? Yes, that's normal, mine did the same thing. It still cooled my i5 750 to 62* at the hottest core in LinX at 3.36 GHz. It's a good cooler. :)

if i'm not mistaken this is by design, to allow for some movement to force any air pockets out with the tension of the spring loaded mount in place.

EDIT: Installing a Hyper 212 Evo tomorrow night on an old E6(3?)00 could be an E6400.

What kind of Overclock can i expect this cooler will be able to handle from a processor like that?

as long as its flat against the CPU, it doesn't need to be that tight

if i'm not mistaken this is by design, to allow for some movement to force any air pockets out with the tension of the spring loaded mount in place.

EDIT: Installing a Hyper 212 Evo tomorrow night on an old E6(3?)00 could be an E6400.

What kind of Overclock can i expect this cooler will be able to handle from a processor like that?

you'll hit the limit of the processor long before temps become an issue.

Roger, thank you all! It's sitting around 52 deg while folding... Must be OK (time to OC). :D

installed this thing late last night.

How far tightened down do the 4 post need to be? all the way? ... and how exactly are you supposed to 'tighten the center pressure screw' after you screw down the retaining scissor bracket? seems you'd need teeny tiny fingers to get in there! (yeah, i had it a bit more tight than it was out of the box, but i didnt screw that little center thing down all the way or anything. )

(not the backplate, i mean the retaining mechanism that's scissor style)

I have the posts bottomed finger tight on the included nutdriver socket, and then the screws a 1/8 turn past the beginning of what I think was bottoming out...
For the center screw, I was able to get a finger in from each side, but that was without fans, and the motherboard was outof the chassis. And I only turned it about one full rev, to contact the spreader fairly firm.

Back