htpc power supply?

geforce man

[H]ard|Gawd
I need a (hopefully) sub 50$ PSU for a HTPC. Will have a dual core celeron s1155 processor, 8gb ram, a dvd drive, an SSD, a spinner, and a nvidia gt 730 (total system draw under load likely sub 150 watts, but I'd like 250w or better.

What would you guys recommend? I would have done the antec HCG 400w, but evidently that is no longer available.

Thanks!

I'd look for one that has a fan that only turns on when needed.

When it comes to PSUs, I tend to err on the side of caution considering how important they are to the functionality of the PC. I've been unable to track down a proper PSU review of that Antec EA-450 so I cannot recommend it at this time.

Ok, I highly highly doubt you actually found a decent proper review of that TR2 PSU showing that it's good. That PSU model line, TR2, is well known for being pieces of shit. If a site did show it being a good PSU, congrats, you've now found a website to completely ignore from now on when it comes to PSU reviews. So that's a no as well.

As for the FSP Aurum S, I haven't been able to find any proper review of the Aurum S line. While the higher-end Aurum PT and Gold series PSUs seems to be ok, that doesn't mean that the Aurum S is actually any good. Considering that FSP is still more than willing to release shitty power supplies, again, I'd have to err on the side of caution and not recommend the Aurum S until a proper PSU review of it has been done.

As for the eVGA, it's not a bad PSU. WIth that said, if you're in a situation where you think you need 500W of power, you should get a better quality 500W+ PSU in the first place as whatever requires that much power means it's going to be relatively expensive.

Finally the Corsair: Unlike its shitty larger 750W brother, the CX 430 for the most part is a solid PSU. Its performance is a tad better than the eVGA.

Just to be clear, when I say proper PSU review, I mean from websites like HardOCP.com and JonnyGuru.com.

Agreed on all fronts. Top PSU usage will be probably 150-200 watts MAXIMUM. (were talking dual core s1155, gt 730, 1SSD, 1 Spinner. Pretty darn low power stuff, shooting for idle draw around 30 watts.

I have a cx550m in my other HTPC, seems fine. In my main rigs, I have an HX850, and an eVGA 850g2, both steller PSU's. I'm not super brand loyal, I just want something decent. Its too bad the cx430m commands such a price hike over the non modular.

Agreed on all fronts. Top PSU usage will be probably 150-200 watts MAXIMUM. (were talking dual core s1155, gt 730, 1SSD, 1 Spinner. Pretty darn low power stuff, shooting for idle draw around 30 watts.

I have a cx550m in my other HTPC, seems fine. In my main rigs, I have an HX850, and an eVGA 850g2, both steller PSU's. I'm not super brand loyal, I just want something decent. Its too bad the cx430m commands such a price hike over the non modular.

Unless your ATX or mATX case is pretty crappy or you chose a mITX case that has no space, a space saving of two cables isn't exactly a big deal.

My corsair CX430 crapped out 3 month after I got it. It ran a phenom ii x3, gtx 750 ti. I mostly played gary's mod and a 2.5d game......

I sold the hell out of CX430s up until this year. Only reason I haven't sold many recently is that most clients just use a laptop now, or a few have some oddball small form factor setup.

I have 4 ATX PCs, and two are running on CX430s for at least two years, and no hiccups. Never had a return on any I sold either. Can't beat them for $20 after rebate.

how audible is the corsair cx430? I am planning a mini itx build and it will literally be 1ft or less away from me. am I constantly going to hear the fan?

1ft away from your head? You're probably going to hear it if you have good hearing. Otherwise the case fans in my HTPC that is about 2ft from me (yes my head, its on a stand sitting next to me) make more noise than the PSU, but now that I have a 980 in it I hear nothing but that fan.

I have a Corsair 430 in my server that runs 24/7, and it's been in there for a few years. It's quiet. The 2 120mm case fans make more noise than the power supply.

Back