HTPC Mobo Opinion

TechLife

Weaksauce
I'm looking at building a HTPC. The first choice to make obviously is the mobo. The name of the game in this build is CHEAP! Mainly because my wife & I just had a baby so money is tight. Read: If I spend much more than the $200 I have stashed away that she doesn't know about on this build, I'll be sleeping on the couch for a while...

Anyway, here's the question: Is the GA-MA78GM-S2H really worth the extra $$ over say the GA-M61PME-S2??

I will probably use a x2 4000+ but for the difference in the boards, I could sneak a 5000+ in there which will really make me smile =P I know I *should* use a 45w cpu but it is going into a monsterous case that I have laying around & I don't mind the fan noise.

I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card in my gaming rig (I know, but it was free!!) which I don't mind pulling to put in this rig. It will be connected directly to my 5.1 receiver.

I also foresee adding a graphics card at some point. I only have a 720p LCD right now and don't plan on adding a BluRay drive anytime soon so I don't see a huge rush.

I do like the idea of having an all-in-one solution but have found in the past this is hardly ever a good idea...

I suppose I could always just take the rig in my sig, strip it of the goodies, set it to stock speeds, make it my HTPC then use this as my main gamer...

Anyway, thanks for bearing with my brainstorming & thanks in advance for the input =)

P.S. I'm just using my old Dell GX270 for a HTPC right now and it's not doing too bad of a job *gasp*

Imho If you're looking to save a little cash then use the X2 4000 and get the GA-MA78GM-S2H, this way you wouldn't need a seperate graphics card (the onboard is ready for blu-ray and everything else at the moment). Not to mention it's feature-filled onboard graphics would allow for a less powerful processor. It's onboard audio is also 10 times better than that other mobo's audio.

If you purchase the GA-M61PME-S2 then you would need to run seperate graphics, so you're not really saving much cash there. A seperate graphics card would also eat up more power, cause more heat, and block airflow in the case.

If you purchase the GA-M61PME-S2 then you would need to run seperate graphics, so you're not really saving much cash there.
Truth. Why are you willing to spend extra money on a faster, not exactly needed CPU and yet totally cheap out on the mobo? Especially if you're looking to save as much money as possible and running with the board's IGP?

The 6100 is garbage for HTPC, it's completely gimped. Even for DVD playback it uses a lot more CPU usage to do it compared to it's older brother the 6150 (and these are old boards, the 6100/6150 has nothing on any of the newer IGPs).

Go with the 780G mobo; this is a no-brainer.

Back