HTPC case for main pc

RumpRoast

Gawd
Currently using a Coolermaster CM690 and loving it. We just had our 2nd child so I lost my office and my space will most likely end up in a corner of the living room on a 36in wide by 24in deep table. I was looking at this case and was wondering does anyone use these type of cases for their main rig? My specs are in my sig and I know I won't be able to use my Tuniq tower in this case. Any suggestions for a good HSF for HTPC cases?

If anyone here uses HTPC case as their everyday machine, how does the case hold up to heat? Do these type of cases exhaust heat well? I'm also open to other types of cases in this catagory as well. I know Antec makes one named Fusion and it looks pretty nice. My plan is to set my monitor on top of it or get a stand to go over it so it doesn't sit directly on top if heat is an issue with these types of cases. Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions

Well I have an htpc that is on all the time in a case similar to that one. Stuff gets toasty inside. Don't expect the best thermals.

Also that case is matx, make sure you get a case that fits your board if it is atx.

I use this Antec Veris case, which is similar case to that Silverstone you linked. So far no issues whatsoever. I recently upgraded the power supply and video card, going from a 430 watt PSU and 9600GT to a 600 watt PSU and ATI 5770. I've spent a couple evenings playing Dead Space 2 at the highest graphics settings, and things are still cool and stable in that case.

I should also note that my HTPC sits in a more of an open shelf system, so there's no obstructions on the sides for pulling in cool air.

munkle: My board is a matx but thanks for pointing that out. Almost every reviews that I've read regarding these cases has mentioned something about possible heat and tight fit. These reviews are a couple of years old so my vid card is bigger than most of the cards in those reviews. Definitely something for me to think about. Thanks

PTNL: I really like that case that you have have and have been reading reviews about it. I'm gonna keep an eye out for other cases like that but I think i might end up getting the same one as yours. Thanks

Are you guys using stock HSF or are you using low profile HSF like some of the Zalman's?

I initially used the stock Intel HSF that came with my C2D E7400, but later replaced it with a whisper-quiet HSF that I bought here.

With obvious exception for my optical drive, the loudest component in my HTPC is the ATI 5770's fan. And even that is hardly noticeable during normal desktop usage and streaming online videos.

Edit: One other observation on my Antec Veris. When I replaced the PSU, the new one had a typical under-mounted 120mm fan. I was initially worried that the normal fan-facing-down orientation would severely limit airflow. On closer inspection, I discovered that Antec actually had properly notched areas for mounting a PSU in either horizontal orientation. So no airflow issues at all with the PSU.

Last edited:
SIlverstone makes really good HTPC cases. I've got plenty of air flow in my LC13E-B. Cool and quiet. And I do a lot of heavy gaming. My case is seated in a shelf under the TV (see picture) and still breathes just fine.

I had no problem fitting the 10.5" GTX260 in there before getting a GTX460.

Most of SIlverstone's stuff is a winner. You won't be dissappointed.

IMG_0563.jpg

Back