HTPC Business?

hipsterdoofus

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I began posting on here a few months ago when I built my first HTPC. I'm not a computer novice by any stretch, but was not into the HTPC thing at the time.

I have a full time job in IT, but was considering the idea of maybe doing some local business of building HTPC's for people.

Do you all think this is viable? I was discussing it with another IT friend, and we thought it would be possible, but we would definitely have to think through some things first. Obviously the systems would have to be fairly low cost at the base level to catch the most consumers. I'm just looking to see if you all think it could be done and what your thoughts are on it.

You might sell a couple. Most people are just using their ps3 or xbox 360, and have DVR service through cable and satellite... makes selling them hard.

You might sell a couple. Most people are just using their ps3 or xbox 360, and have DVR service through cable and satellite... makes selling them hard.

True - I don't know a lot about the ones through cable or satellite service - how many tuners do those usually have? The question is, are there people like me who don't have cable or satellite but would still like the capability?

There is a market for it... but you would have to diversify to do things other than just building home theater PCs. Check out http://www.cedia.net/. And actually, you'd need to go for the other end (the high end) of the market to really make a go at it. HTPCs are not the right fit for most households... yet.

There is a market for it... but you would have to diversify to do things other than just building home theater PCs. Check out http://www.cedia.net/. And actually, you'd need to go for the other end (the high end) of the market to really make a go at it. HTPCs are not the right fit for most households... yet.

Well, I do live in an a city that has a pretty good upper class population - and I see what you are saying about expanding - although one issue I have is that I'm not real interested with running cable and stuff - that seems it would create a huge risk as far as needing more in the way of insurance and such.

Well, if you want to be a cedia member, you need a minimum of 1,000,000 in insurance. Basically in case you wire something wrong and it burns a house down. However, you could subcontract the wiring and cabling out to someone else.

True - I don't know a lot about the ones through cable or satellite service - how many tuners do those usually have? The question is, are there people like me who don't have cable or satellite but would still like the capability?

Our directv box will record 2HD channels at the same time... which is another thing an HTPC cannot do unless you start fooling around with cablecard.

Our directv box will record 2HD channels at the same time... which is another thing an HTPC cannot do unless you start fooling around with cablecard.

An HTPC can't do at once? Why not? I'm pretty sure I've recorded two HD channels at the same time...not sure I understand what you mean.

Not over cable or Sat you haven't.

OTA is the only way to record digital HD.

you can use an hd-pvr as well as cablecard, to record HD cable/sat (any channel with hd-pvr) though you need 2 of them which is ~$350, but 2 hd channels can be done.

If you combine that with a hvr 2250 or 2 and you can record up to 6 hd channels if your HD is up to it, though 4 will be limited to the locals.

With the new cablecard tuners coming out soon it should hopefully get even better/easier to record hd.

An HTPC can't do at once? Why not? I'm pretty sure I've recorded two HD channels at the same time...not sure I understand what you mean.

Ok, i'm busy tonight so i need you to record top chef in HD for me, and my girlfriend wants some crap recorded from A&E HD as well... at the same time...

Most htpc cannot even do one.

I guess the hauppage HVR stuff will work, just sucks you have to use component for everything.

Ok, i'm busy tonight so i need you to record top chef in HD for me, and my girlfriend wants some crap recorded from A&E HD as well... at the same time...

I guess the hauppage HVR stuff will work, just sucks you have to use component for everything.

I'm still not sure I understand what you mean - I have an OTA setup - is that what you meant? If you meant over satellite, that isn't a limitation of the HTPC, but one of the stream coming in, right?

One way to test the area to see if it it will support your HTPC business is to post on craigslist. Offer to build a couple HTPCs at a price and see who responds. Use that to figure if there is enough draw to make it worthwhile.

One way to test the area to see if it it will support your HTPC business is to post on craigslist. Offer to build a couple HTPCs at a price and see who responds. Use that to figure if there is enough draw to make it worthwhile.

And that for now is really the extent I'd like to do - I've had lots of people stop by the house and comment about how they like the setup - I just would like something where I can keep fresh on the pc building skills and maybe make a few bucks.

Yeah i do that all the time.

the caveats: as mentioned its component, but only from cable box to hd pvr.
The big caveat is the cable box. For each hd-pvr you need a cable box to hook up to. Oh well, about the same as renting a cable pvr.
Additionally, stability is hairy right now, but the program is still in beta.

If you are willing to deal with that the quality of the recordings is great, theres no delete flag for any programming (I've heard hbo flags things for deletion), you can archive your recordings to your home server and keep the movies forever.

Yeah i do that all the time.

the caveats: as mentioned its component, but only from cable box to hd pvr.
The big caveat is the cable box. For each hd-pvr you need a cable box to hook up to. Oh well, about the same as renting a cable pvr.
Additionally, stability is hairy right now, but the program is still in beta.

If you are willing to deal with that the quality of the recordings is great, theres no delete flag for any programming (I've heard hbo flags things for deletion), you can archive your recordings to your home server and keep the movies forever.

I'm confused - I don't have cable or Satellite - seems that if the only way you can record 2 HD programs at once is OTA, seems that more people would want a home-made HTPC.

Then the craigslist / local adverts / word of mouth is the way to go about this. As this is what i do locally. I have three basic systems (1 intel 2 AMD) that uses the same hardware. The upgrades are tuners, remotes, cases, ODD, HDD, etc...the software package is the same regardless. That way I can just image the drive and its all set to go. I do it all on a cost plus basis and then I also provide what ever cables they need at a 100% markup over my cost. if a 10ft HDMI cost me $7 I charge $14 still Waaaay under retailer prices. I have a basic tutorial guide that come with each unit on how to backup media etc...

Once parts arrive, I can build a working HTPC in about 1 hr. easy $$$.

Also I wouldn't call this a business, its a hobby. No one has ever 1099 me in the last 3 years I've been doing this.

although one issue I have is that I'm not real interested with running cable and stuff - that seems it would create a huge risk as far as needing more in the way of insurance and such.

I'll run cable drop and such it's not too hard. Insurance isn't an issue if you're doing this "under the table" to begin with. I'll also mount TV's & connect components as the client needs. If they want something more spectacular I just include sub contractor services plus a mark up for a professional to come out and do it. If it's just some handyman shit I can usually tackle it with too much issue.

I'm confused - I don't have cable or Satellite - seems that if the only way you can record 2 HD programs at once is OTA, seems that more people would want a home-made HTPC.

The only way to record anything right now is via OTA or using the analog hole (HD-PVR). The HD-PVR will only record what is being tuned so want to record 3 at once you would need 3 PVR & 3 STB. Until cable cards are released(are they?) this is the only 2 ways to record TV. The promise of cable cards is 2-4-6 channels recording at once in full broadcast HD.

Last edited:
single tuner cable cards have been out for like 3 years, multi tuner ones are coming out soon. Additionally, they will soon gain SDV tuning and more freedom which is also nice.

There is some mis-information being thrown out around here regarding the ability to record HD.....

People need to specify when they are talking about HD whether they are talking premium channels or local stations. In a lot of areas (possibly most) you can get local HD channels over cable without a cable-card or HD-PVR... you just need a QAM tuner like the HDHomeRun. These would usually be the same channels that you can recieve via OTA signal (ABC, CBS, PBS, etc.).

For premium content (something I've never subscribed too) you would need CableCard or HD-PVRs (one per set top box). For satellite you would be limited to HD-PVRs since there isn't a Satellite-equivalent to CableCards.

Before anyone starts throwing out "most PCs can't even do one HD channel" remember that premium channels aren't the only ones in HD. For some of us, what is on the local channels is more than we can watch anyways, so QAM recording in HD is perfectly acceptable.

As for the original question... my experience is that most people are happy with their set top boxes from the cable company or satellite company. Sure, I've got some friends that see my setup and think it is cool to record multiple shows and watch them anywhere in the house, or grab an episode that I forgot to record, or record an entire season of a several shows and watch them during the summer season. However, none of them have shown any interest in having one set up in their homes. Excuses range everywhere from cost (the HTPC hobby can get a little pricy) to troubleshooting to lack of premium content.

Personally, I don't think I could ever go back. ATT U-Verse is the closest thing from a company that would work (multi-room playback), but there are enough limitations and issues that I doubt I would be happy...

Not really misinformation. While your point is valid and technically correct. You are wrong in the practical application of a business such as this. I have yet to run across anyone dumb enough to pay for "basic" cable without upgrading the get the higher teirs. Not premium like HBO or skinimax. I'm talking about HD tiers, Digital tiers etc.. Hell most cable companies its actually cheaper to get a package than just basic.
Either your paying for cable or you don't.

Add to that if your customer is willing to shell out the $1000 min for an HTPC, I hardly think he's cheaping out on the cable bill.

i think you have a point.... but a realively competitive HTPC can run $300.... definately not $1000....

Uhhh no it doesn't. Unless your a hack. This thread is about a business.

The basic hardware can be had for $300 this would include CPU/mobo/RAM/HDD/ODD/PSU. <---And this is all really cheap lowend stuff. I know you didn't use bargin basement for your build did you?

Add another $100 min. for a quality HTPC case, so your customer wont feel he bought a piece of shit, $25 for a WMC remote and receiver, $250 for legit software, $100min tuner/cable card, tax and shipping of the components, figure $60mine of your time to go set it up and show'em how to use it, and oh yeah it's a business I should probably add some profit in there to make it worth my time tack on 15-20% <-- which is low BTW.

I built a pretty nice i7 rig for our office and hopefully the DVI-D cable at 56' will work with my Sony 60" GWII.

I have a EVGA GTX275 Video card with two DVI-D outputs.

I have a MX-700 universal remote that I progam with my PC for everything including the PC to TV interface where the wireless keyboard takes over.

For OTA I have a Dish Network DVRPal that gives me two tuners to record or play what I need without any compression. I can add a 1T HD if needed to the unit.

I have no cable or Sat. as all the streaming video available at this time gives me all the info I need at this time. $40 bucks for USA and BBC America!!! No Thanks.

I ordered a Vidabox Wireless keyboard for the PC interface on the TV.

And my EVGA X58 SLI LE motherboard has Digital out so I will run a 75 ohm digital cable to my Outlaw 950 for the sound processing.

Less than $200 Bucks to add the PC to the TV.

Nice thing is that the video card has the perfect resolution built in for a perfect picture on the TV without any overscan.

Hope it all works at 56' as it has been tested at 20'.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/evanbelkom/Lian Li PC-A05NB i7 Build/Picture012.jpg

Last edited:
Not really misinformation. While your point is valid and technically correct. You are wrong in the practical application of a business such as this. I have yet to run across anyone dumb enough to pay for "basic" cable without upgrading the get the higher teirs. Not premium like HBO or skinimax. I'm talking about HD tiers, Digital tiers etc.. Hell most cable companies its actually cheaper to get a package than just basic.
Either your paying for cable or you don't.

Add to that if your customer is willing to shell out the $1000 min for an HTPC, I hardly think he's cheaping out on the cable bill.

No disagreement fromt he business side here ;) I just wanted to make sure that others possibly reading the thread know that HD content is available without CableCard or HD-PVRs.

And I guess I'm one of those "dumb" people :p Extended Basic works fine for me and is cheaper than the lowest tier HD option from Comcast in my area. Honestly, we don't have enough time to keep up with the prime-time channels (1-2 hours a day at most, sometimes even less than that) so I'm not sure why it would be "smart" to pay for HD cable....

i only pay for HD channels for EPSN HD and comcast sports... for Giants Baseball...

choke Dodgers coke...

and okay so $300 was a little low.... but a basic HTPC doent need a $100 tuner, $40 gets you done... OS is definately a killer, but for the low end of a business what about Linux with MythTV. then have more $$ ones with W7, which OEM pricing on newegg is around $100 for 7 home premium btw....

saw it on an ad leak last week.

so probably more like $600 but still $1000 would be a decent profit. I build HTPCs for friends and such and usually they are cheap buyers.... lowest cost possible... which is lame. I make $100-$200 out of it and they get a machine with AnyDVD on it to rip their own DVD with MyMovies plugin a decent size HDD a 750gb or 1TB and its like $700 for the last 2 i build on vista HP.

AMD/9x00 motherboards. DDR2 667 2GB single dim ram, 1 HDD 2 partitions, a sata DVD drive and a nMedia case, OEM PSU like Sparkle or FSP that are good but inexpensive and a $20 ebay MCE remote that I bought like 15 of 2 years ago :D

not a real $$ maker, but I have supported my hobby with the $$. That and network cabling...

The basic hardware can be had for $300 this would include CPU/mobo/RAM/HDD/ODD/PSU. <---And this is all really cheap lowend stuff. I know you didn't use bargin basement for your build did you?

Add another $100 min. for a quality HTPC case, so your customer wont feel he bought a piece of shit, $25 for a WMC remote and receiver, $250 for legit software, $100min tuner/cable card, tax and shipping of the components, figure $60mine of your time to go set it up and show'em how to use it, and oh yeah it's a business I should probably add some profit in there to make it worth my time tack on 15-20% <-- which is low BTW.

What is included in the $250 for legit software?
Which OS do you use and whatnot?

BTW-I like this thread a lot (just a side thought)

It's the money you make from the trouble calls when they f*ck it up is where the money is.

What is included in the $250 for legit software?
Which OS do you use and whatnot?

For my the set ups I sell. W732HP, AnyDVD HD, VCD, AVS, PDVD Ultra 9, Haali, Mediabrowser, CoreAVC, MakeMKV, Handbrake. Most of this is freeware but between Windows and AnyDVD your pretty much @ $250.

I provide them with a disc that has their system image on it. Along with a PDF on how to perform a system restore. This isn't rocket science guys its pretty damn simple. I don't provide CS after 30days.

IMO if it was viable someone else would have been successful at it already. Naturally things are getting better, but really its still an AV nerdgasm niche. You can probably scratch out some extra cash or maybe a little more if you can find a local high end clientele to cater to. But if Dell can't really make it work in a sustained way I would temper expectations accordingly.

You can probably scratch out some extra cash or maybe a little more if you can find a local high end clientele to cater to. But if Dell can't really make it work in a sustained way I would temper expectations accordingly.

^^^THIS

QFT

It's a hobby business. I like building systems. I don't want to build a new system for myself every 3 months when new shit comes out. So I build'em for people who want them and try to make a few bucks for myself to cover my time. I'm also in a densely populated area with a HUGE market so I can actually build 6 or 8 of these a year. I'm not gonna retire doing this. and Its not my main job hell its not even my main hobby.

Back