HTPC build

obs

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking to put together a basic HTPC for recording OTA channels and streaming media. It will be connected to an Onkyo TX-NR708 so I'd like to have audio over HDMI. Not planning to do much/any gaming so just using integrated graphics.

Motherboard: ASRock H55M/USB3 R2.0 - $92
CPU: Intel Core i3-550 - $130 - $12 combo w/PSU
RAM: A-DATA 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 - $45
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W - $48
HDD: Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Blue - $70
BD: LG UH10LS20 - $70
Case: SilverStone GD05B - $90
Tuner: AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - $70 - $10 MIR
Keyboard: Logitech diNovo Edge - $152

Total: $745

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ditch the RAM as its max voltage is 1.75V, well above the max RAM voltage for Intel CPUs at 1.65V. I recommend this RAM instead:
$41 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

Ditch the WD drive: You can get the faster and just as quiet Samsung F3 drive for $8 less:
$62 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I would avoid any AsRock mobo above $70 since AsRock only offers a one year warranty on their products. That's not good considering that similarily priced and feature set mobos have 2-3 year warranties. Look at Gigabyte or Asus H55 motherboards.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you used that keyboard before? Seems quite pricey. Any idea what front end you will be using? And how often you plan on actually using the keyboard? I have a basic MCE remote that I use 95% of the time, and a much cheaper pair of wireless keyboard and mouse that I pull out if I am running updates, or installing software, or doing the rare internet search. HTPC are typically controlled at a 10' interface, and most HTPC software is designed with that in mind, hence my mentioning of remotes.

But if you know you'll use the keyboard a lot, and/or you're familiar with the product and have money to spend, please don't let me discourage you.

Back