HTC's Vive Studios Forms and Launches its First Game

HardOCP News

[H] News
HTC announced today that it has launched Vive Studios to develop and publish VR games for the HTC Vive VR headset. The new studio has one game out already with more coming in the "weeks to come."

I am very interested in VR but I have not seen any content that really grabs my attention. I know it is completely different when you put the headset on, but most of these "games" look more like tech demos. Granted I have seen some look like very well thought out tech demos, but nothing that makes me want to drop the cash on a Vive or an Oculus. I feel that I should wait for the next generation of headsets before I jump into it.

I am very interested in VR but I have not seen any content that really grabs my attention. I know it is completely different when you put the headset on, but most of these "games" look more like tech demos. Granted I have seen some look like very well thought out tech demos, but nothing that makes me want to drop the cash on a Vive or an Oculus. I feel that I should wait for the next generation of headsets before I jump into it.

There is a chicken and egg thing going on right now. There aren't enough headsets to justify major game development, and there aren't any major must play games, so people aren't buying headsets. The headset that was suppose to kick-start VR the PSVR isn't doing super great either. Sony was expecting to sell 2.6 Million headsets by the end of the year, but so far they have sold less than 750,000, and there aren't many days left in the year. Maybe now that the PS4Pro is out PSVR sales will pick up.

VR is a waste of time. It looks no different mechanics wise to what we had in the 80's. Sure graphics are a bit better, but you still have that stupid floating gun thing and no sense of self in these things. So this is now the best they can do, some sort of break out game. I really don't get why people are batshit nuts over this shit.

There is a chicken and egg thing going on right now. There aren't enough headsets to justify major game development, and there aren't any major must play games, so people aren't buying headsets. The headset that was suppose to kick-start VR the PSVR isn't doing super great either. Sony was expecting to sell 2.6 Million headsets by the end of the year, but so far they have sold less than 750,000, and there aren't many days left in the year. Maybe now that the PS4Pro is out PSVR sales will pick up.

I did not even realize that the PSVR had been released.
Honestly, I would be happy with a integrating current FPS into a VR using the keyboard and mouse.

VR is a waste of time. It looks no different mechanics wise to what we had in the 80's. Sure graphics are a bit better, but you still have that stupid floating gun thing and no sense of self in these things. So this is now the best they can do, some sort of break out game. I really don't get why people are batshit nuts over this shit.

VR is unbeatable for driving and fighter sims and the experience is incomparable to widescreen displays. Too bad that's kind of a niche audience.

It isn't selling well? That's strange because I keep hearing that it's sold out everywhere.

Have you ever actually tried it?

I am guessing no based on the "no different than the 80's" comment.

It isn't selling well? That's strange because I keep hearing that it's sold out everywhere.

It is, but it comes back in stock very quickly. The rumor is that Sony cut back on production at the last minute, so they could focus on the Pro knowing that the experience on the base PS4, while OK, still doesn't allow for full featured games to run properly.

Basking in ignorance and then displaying it to others is your own call. I'd suggest actually trying it first. If you don't have any friends with it, they do limited demos at stores like Best Buy.

Nice to see HTC finally WAKING UP.

Hardware does not sell software.

Last edited:
I did not even realize that the PSVR had been released.
Honestly, I would be happy with a integrating current FPS into a VR using the keyboard and mouse.

Once they truly figure out locomotion, fps will be just as good as driving/flying sims. A lot of people are experimenting in doom 3 as it's easy to mod and develop for to try to get it nailed down. I'd give it 3 or 4 months before somebody figures that out and then it'll be the only way to play.

Back