HTC's New Vive Payment Plans Diffuse the High Cost of PC Virtual Reality

LG is making a lot of noise regarding a new "next generation" VR headset they will be showing off at Valves booth at some point at GDC.

No details at all yet though. Not even a picture.

Here's what I think of when I hear "Next Generation Headset:"

6a0120a540faf3970b0120a5fd3790970c-pi

faLdx26.jpg

I don't see much problem wit this. 0% loans are great, so long as you don't miss a payment. I do them through my work when I can. Last time, I took a $10k loan with 0% and payback in 1 year. Sounds stupid, but might as well let your money make money. Obviously, the HTC Vive isn't making money, but instead of dumping $800 at once, what's leftover after each payment can make money.

This is especially good for people who might otherwise use an interest-bearing credit card to buy it.

Yep. The less extra someone has to pay due to interest, the better.

Even if you have the cash, declining 0% is an extremely poor decision. Let's say your reinvestment rate is 0.01%, well you still made money. Just make sure you can actually afford what you are buying folks...

Is this thing through paypal? Haven't used it in a couple of years more than enough credit to buy.

we'll see what happens when valve releases their VR title, and how the industry responds to a real AAA threat from vr. The following year from Vavle's release would be the time to start buying a VR set if you haven't already as all game devs will start to follow suit if it is successful.

I'd be down for this; easier to justify to the Misses...
Yes sir! $800 is a "I need wife permission" device. Even though $66X12 comes out to the same amount, that's not how it works in married land ;) Now, I might be getting me one of these now! My PC is set - just need the Vive.

Even if you have the cash, declining 0% is an extremely poor decision. Let's say your reinvestment rate is 0.01%, well you still made money. Just make sure you can actually afford what you are buying folks...

Exactly.

Even if you have $800 burning a hole in your pocket, take the 0% financing deal, but the $800 in an interest bearing account or in the market, and when it's all paid off, you come out on top.

When companies offer 0% financing plans, they are essentially giving away money.

Exactly.

Even if you have $800 burning a hole in your pocket, take the 0% financing deal, but the $800 in an interest bearing account or in the market, and when it's all paid off, you come out on top.

When companies offer 0% financing plans, they are essentially giving away money.

Unfortunately it seems this 0% financing offer was just a generic "Apply for Paypal Credit" offer like you see for any Paypal purchase.

Got my hopes up because I thought HTC was offering it themselves similar to the way Google offers 0% financing for phones purchased for Project Fi. Paypal creeps me out.

Unfortunately it seems this 0% financing offer was just a generic "Apply for Paypal Credit" offer like you see for any Paypal purchase.

Got my hopes up because I thought HTC was offering it themselves similar to the way Google offers 0% financing for phones purchased for Project Fi. Paypal creeps me out.

That is unfortunate. I've been using Paypal for some time, and I have not had any problems with them. Their standard 6 month 0 interest plan is actually quite harmless (as long as you actually pay off the sum in those 6 months, or you wind up paying real interest)

That is unfortunate. I've been using Paypal for some time, and I have not had any problems with them. Their standard 6 month 0 interest plan is actually quite harmless (as long as you actually pay off the sum in those 6 months, or you wind up paying real interest)

Same for me. Zero issues with Paypal. Been with them for years.

PCI rules will also inform you of how much interest has accrued... for example my 0% tv has around 1k accrued already if I don't pay it off by the end of 2018. I've been paying the $25 minimum for 1.5 years so the remaining ~4k has been in investments for that same time. Time value of money blah blah I'll literally pay it off in one large payment. And PayPal is awesome. I've never heard a complaint or breach (I also get a lot of confidential information on breaches due to my career as well... there's another coming but as of now it's just a "brick and mortar")

Same for me. Zero issues with Paypal. Been with them for years.
The problems with paypal seems to happen mostly to people who sell stuff, especially in large quantities. Paypal has a tendency to randomly flag high-volume seller accounts as fraudulent, seize the money (while still allowing funds to keep flowing in), and then demand every possible proof of identity there is, in order to unlock it. (well beyond the normal "copy of your license and a current utility bill")

The problems with paypal seems to happen mostly to people who sell stuff, especially in large quantities. Paypal has a tendency to randomly flag high-volume seller accounts as fraudulent, seize the money (while still allowing funds to keep flowing in), and then demand every possible proof of identity there is, in order to unlock it. (well beyond the normal "copy of your license and a current utility bill")

Ya, I'm definitely not a large quantity seller. Maybe like 30 times in 5 years. I can somewhat understand their need for lots of ID, since there's probably lots of ppl trying to gain access to someone else's account. Just becomes annoying for someone, since most people only have 1 form of ID. I have 3, so not much a problem there for me.

Only time ive had a problem with paypal was when I sold a ps3 at launch. My account wasn't approved for amounts over $1k so they locked it. I didn't even know that was a thing. They locked the account for about 2 months while I had to mail them my life story in novel form before they unlocked it. And its not like I was doing anything suspicious, or it was a new account, or it was a very large sum of money. Other than that everything has been good for years, but I dont really sell anything, just buy.

Its a very very low attempt to stimulate mores sales. With the PSVR price and Occulus dropping to 600 usd the Vive sales will only be to hardcore user. Vive needs to face consumer reality.....

Back