HTC One Watch Thread

Big problem with the phone already its the uni body.

What you see as a problem others see as an advantage. I love the Lumia 900 uni body and I can't imagine ever going back to a phone that has cheap flimsy plastic covers. I'd buy the HTC One because it has a uni body, only issue is that at 1920x1080 I'd probably be inclined to use more data which isn't going to work with my 300MB dataplan on ATT and I don't want to pay up for a higher capacity plan.

Comments aside from a preference of plastic over uni body, is a problem because their uni body design is holding up production.

Comments aside from a preference of plastic over uni body, is a problem because their uni body design is holding up production.
From all accounts that I've heard is that production is being held up due to the camera module. Unibody design may take longer to make, but HTC can only hope that sales beat shipment.

From all accounts that I've heard is that production is being held up due to the camera module. Unibody design may take longer to make, but HTC can only hope that sales beat shipment.

That wouldn't surprise me, it is rather new and unique.

The battery life concerns me on this phone, and for being over 9mm thick, with only a 2300mAh size battery is disappointing. The Galaxy S4 is wafer thin 7.9mm thin, with a larger 2600mAh battery, plus it's removable. And the old Motorola MAXX HD is 9.3mm thick, with a massive 3300mAh battery.

Lets see how the One is for custom ROM's ? Will developers get true root, with S-Off ? The international One X still doesn't have S-Off, and the ATT One X took 10 months to get S-Off.

If between the S4 and One, I'd choose the S4 in a heartbeat.

The battery life concerns me on this phone, and for being over 9mm thick, with only a 2300mAh size battery is disappointing. The Galaxy S4 is wafer thin 7.9mm thin, with a larger 2600mAh battery, plus it's removable. And the old Motorola MAXX HD is 9.3mm thick, with a massive 3300mAh battery.

Lets see how the One is for custom ROM's ? Will developers get true root, with S-Off ? The international One X still doesn't have S-Off, and the ATT One X took 10 months to get S-Off.

European HTC One can already be S-Off from HTCDev.

http://www.android.gs/how-to-unlock-htc-one-bootloader/

The US variants are probably locked down by carrier demand.

The battery lasts two days in endurance tests.

And will the S4 have an Anandtech Editor's Choice award? Will it be Gold? Plantinum? I don't think so! LOL... just kidding! Sorry, I just have to milk it for HTC.

All concerns except for the battery are understandable. Initial tests has the battery doing damn good.

From BGR:
The HTC One is the closest thing we have ever seen to a no-compromise smartphone...

With the Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note III, Google’s “X Phone,” new RAZR handsets, a new flagship Optimus G and plenty more due to launch this year, competition at the high end of the smartphone market will be more fierce than ever before. But unless something truly unexpected pops up, the HTC One will almost certainly be the best all-around Android phone to launch in 2013. The One includes all of the features that make a hit and none of the big compromises we’re typically forced to accept, and in that regard it changes everything.
What is it that Anandtech and BGR sees that we don't? They talk about it like it's the best phone ever, and we here are hating about all the "compromises" HTC made about removable battery and storage... Surely, they can't possibly be Samsung haters or HTC fanboys...

European HTC One can already be S-Off from HTCDev.

http://www.android.gs/how-to-unlock-htc-one-bootloader/

The US variants are probably locked down by carrier demand.

The battery lasts two days in endurance tests.

And will the S4 have an Anandtech Editor's Choice award? Will it be Gold? Plantinum? I don't think so! LOL... just kidding! Sorry, I just have to milk it for HTC.

Yeah what... if you don't use the phone... lol. If you are a heavy user or are on your phone much it will not last an entire day. Plenty of others who have been using it state the contrary. Phondog did a 30 day test with it, and the conclusion is that the One needed to be charged during some point to make it through the day. Now that is with I would assume heavy use. Yes standby time is fantastic on the phone.

Yeah what... if you don't use the phone... lol. If you are a heavy user or are on your phone much it will not last an entire day. Plenty of others who have been using it state the contrary. Phondog did a 30 day test with it, and the conclusion is that the One needed to be charged during some point to make it through the day. Now that is with I would assume heavy use. Yes standby time is fantastic on the phone.

I have owned 7 Android phones over the years, never once having one to last 24 hours, never. Unless weekend use on WiFi all day, and just surfing web a little and few texts, which that is very light use to me, barely using the phone.

I even had the Note 2 for a month, with custom ROM and kernel known specifically for good battery life, my Note 2 would be drained after 16h to 18h showing red battery meter at 10% left.

And I never game on my phone, never watch movies on my phone.

I use it as a phone #1 for business sales, maybe 2 to 3 hours phone calls per day. I text like a madman, sending hundred each day easily to clients. I receive and check e-mails daily. GPS Navigation once or twice a day. Surf the web during the day. I have sync off, and typically nothing running in the background. But using the phone my way, i will have 5 to 6 hours On Screen time, most phones can't even do that much On Screen time. The Note 2 could go 7h On Screen time which was amazing, my Nexus 4 maybe 4h to 5h On Screen time, My HTC One X maybe 3h to 4h On Screen time, Galaxy Nexus maybe 3.5h On Screen time.

What i am saying, if you use your phone for business, and not on WiFi at all, no way the battery will even go 24 hours, let alone 2 days.

You could potentially carry a non-smartphone (a texting slider or something) and a smartphone and use the former for texting and talk (and enjoy some serious battery life). Just a thought.

Can't wait to get mine. Has anyone seen anything about the scratch resistance of the case? I am going to use a screen protector but am debating on whether or not to use a TPU case of some sort. I got the silver one.

I have owned 7 Android phones over the years, never once having one to last 24 hours, never. Unless weekend use on WiFi all day, and just surfing web a little and few texts, which that is very light use to me, barely using the phone.

I even had the Note 2 for a month, with custom ROM and kernel known specifically for good battery life, my Note 2 would be drained after 16h to 18h showing red battery meter at 10% left.

I use it as a phone #1 for business sales, maybe 2 to 3 hours phone calls per day. I text like a madman, sending hundred each day easily to clients. I receive and check e-mails daily. GPS Navigation once or twice a day. Surf the web during the day. I have sync off, and typically nothing running in the background. But using the phone my way, i will have 5 to 6 hours On Screen time, most phones can't even do that much On Screen time. The Note 2 could go 7h On Screen time which was amazing, my Nexus 4 maybe 4h to 5h On Screen time, My HTC One X maybe 3h to 4h On Screen time, Galaxy Nexus maybe 3.5h On Screen time.

What i am saying, if you use your phone for business, and not on WiFi at all, no way the battery will even go 24 hours, let alone 2 days.
Okay. This calls for more information. Basically, your phones do not last very long, especially at the office.

So at the office, do you have wifi? If so, what signal strength. And how is your cellular signal strength?

You said you turned off syncing, yet you still receive e-mails. Please clarify.

Surfing the web during the day will drain your battery life if your phone is not plugged in. (Duh...) But what I'm asking is exactly how much you surf the web on your phone.

Cause you can read your emails from a tablet/laptop/computer. You can even send/receive SMS/MMS from them too. And, obviously, you can surf the web on those as well. What if we make your phone into just doing "phone" tasks during the business day? Basically, think like your phone is just a flip-phone.

My Samsung Focus lasts all week without cellular data.

I've had the chance to use an HTC One for a few days.

So far: best Android hardware design, full stop. It makes you wonder why you settle for flimsy plastic on other devices. The screen isn't just sharp and bright (i.e. visible outside), it's pretty color accurate -- I wouldn't count on that with the GS4, even with an Adobe RGB mode.

The camera is a bit noisy in daylight, but performance largely works out in HTC's favor. Mostly, it's that the low-light sensitivity means that you'll get sharp focus in all but the most dire situations. I'm most eager to try the video mode; its approach to low light and sound recording should be great for concerts.

Battery life? So far, the One doesn't seem to be power-hungry. I need to go on one of my mobile photo expeditions to say for sure.

I don't know if I'd splurge on the One given my love of stock Android and fast updates, but if you told me I had to get a non-stock device this year, HTC would have my money.

I went to a nearby AT&T store and they had the One on display. Ditto for the Sprint store. I think they've been getting them a little early.

Any idea when the Black version is coming out for pre order?

Not my experience at all with my Note 2. I also use it for business. Maybe one call a day. Many many texts and emails, browsing, camera use, Instagram, a once a day Facebook check, evernote ect. I start my day at 630 am and I'm home at about 7pm. At that point I have enough juice left that I dont have to recharge till the morning. I'm using Cleanrom.

Not my experience at all with my Note 2. I also use it for business. Maybe one call a day. Many many texts and emails, browsing, camera use, Instagram, a once a day Facebook check, evernote ect. I start my day at 630 am and I'm home at about 7pm. At that point I have enough juice left that I dont have to recharge till the morning. I'm using Cleanrom.

"Maybe one call a day" wow, ok, that must be the big difference, if you only do one or just a few phone calls a day. Just with my Wife alone, that can be 3 or 4 calls a workday, and for business, I easily do 15 to 20 calls a workday, on a slow day, each call lasting 5 minutes or so. But on average I probably do 30 to 40 calls a day.

When I check my battery usage each day, under Phone Calls it can be 2+ hours of just phone use only, that is separate from On Screen time.

"Maybe one call a day" wow, ok, that must be the big difference, if you only do one or just a few phone calls a day. Just with my Wife alone, that can be 3 or 4 calls a workday, and for business, I easily do 15 to 20 calls a workday, on a slow day, each call lasting 5 minutes or so. But on average I probably do 30 to 40 calls a day.

When I check my battery usage each day, under Phone Calls it can be 2+ hours of just phone use only, that is separate from On Screen time.

Could be. My phone usage has changed dramatically. 99% of business is text and email.

Could be. My phone usage has changed dramatically. 99% of business is text and email.

With me business; is also a ton of e-mails daily, quick texts to clients, but still lots phone calls, nothing beats actually talking on the phone to a client in my business. E-mails are great, for orders, quotes, and specific questions, but for the sales part, a phone call is a must.

I'd say it is broken down to pretty much 1/3rd = e-mails, 1/3rd = texting, 1/3rd = phone calls.

And I've read that phone calls on a smartphone can chew up a good chunk of battery life, if used a lot throughout the day.

Can't wait to get mine. Has anyone seen anything about the scratch resistance of the case? I am going to use a screen protector but am debating on whether or not to use a TPU case of some sort. I got the silver one.

Sorry but I've never understood this. Especially in the case of an aesthetically pleasing phone, why cover it up with a full body protector? It just totally kills it. Unless you need your phone to survive in likely hostile environments and/or it's a company phone and they may want to resell it later, I don't understand the end user's need for something like this.

Screen protector is one thing because if you get it to scratch, you just take the screen protector off and put another one on. But with a TPU, your phone no longer really looks like your phone and it might as well be any other phone out there. It's just essentially the screen.

I even took off my screen protector a few days ago. I want to enjoy my phone for what it is.

Mostly these, apparently (scroll down).
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/5/4187006/what-you-should-check-closely-when-unboxing-your-htc-one

515EB9CF467E100017.jpg

These are obviously fake since the One has a laminated screen.

Not sure if I've ever seen these ads, be pretty cool to see what these false advertisers are saying (if true)

They have actually admitted to doing it now -
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2034...-for-defaming-htc-on-local-online-forums.html

They haven't confirmed what was said though but allegedly -
The topics covered included a user complaining that his girlfriend’s HTC One X phone was constantly crashing, and how Samsung’s Galaxy Note phone was superior to HTC’s Sensation XL handset.

Benchmark reviews were also posted, claiming that Samsung’s Galaxy S3 outperformed the HTC One X in battery life and graphics. In addition, some of the comments tried to praise Samsung, and asked if the company’s handsets had helped local users earn job promotions.

I know last year some shills here kept on posting BS benchmarks, picking and choosing between the Exynos Quad and Snapdragon S4.

And then how the Thunderbolt sucks means that HTC One X will suck, despite the S3 and One X having the same radio... Never did they mention Samsung's first LTE device, Craft, being even worse.

No idea, but this is funny. Many companies are accused of this (intel) just samsung was dumb enough to get caught. I think its pretty shady but you have to admit this type of advertising works.

No idea, but this is funny. Many companies are accused of this (intel) just samsung was dumb enough to get caught. I think its pretty shady but you have to admit this type of advertising works.

Nvidia did this for years. It's common practice, though that doesn't justify it any further. And, I highly doubt that it was just Samsung Taiwan doing this.

Nvidia did this for years. It's common practice, though that doesn't justify it any further. And, I highly doubt that it was just Samsung Taiwan doing this.

Nvidia didn't get cought, they never linked the 'advertising' company being paid by nvidia to do it. We all know they were doing it though.

Nvidia didn't get cought, they never linked the 'advertising' company being paid by nvidia to do it. We all know they were doing it though.

Oh yeah they did! Remember Rolo? :rolleyes:

Can't wait for the HTC One in Black...

I remember Rollo being mostly usefull, but at the same time he did make up a lot of shit. I just remember a ton of new posters here and anand complaining about their X1800's and X1950's (seemed about 500 new people had them even though they were hard as shit to find).

I had forgotten about Rollo but I also remember him leaving that viral marketing company and joining Nvidia's Focus Group, then bam, gone.

I had forgotten about Rollo but I also remember him leaving that viral marketing company and joining Nvidia's Focus Group, then bam, gone.

I knew a few people that went from AEG to the NV focus group when AEG got busted. And Rollo was eventually banned, though I don't know if that was the reason he left, or some mod just did it way after the fact.

I know last year some shills here kept on posting BS benchmarks, picking and choosing between the Exynos Quad and Snapdragon S4.

And then how the Thunderbolt sucks means that HTC One X will suck, despite the S3 and One X having the same radio... Never did they mention Samsung's first LTE device, Craft, being even worse.

I remember helping get one of them banned here after replying on how the guy was cross posting on several forums that I frequent.
Must've been a paid Samsung employee.

I remember helping get one of them banned here after replying on how the guy was cross posting on several forums that I frequent.
Must've been a paid Samsung employee.

There was an htc one too, took a while to get him banned even though he was very obvious.

Back