HTC Hero tips and tricks

michaelkahl

Limp Gawd
The HTC Hero is a new device, despite the EU version. The reason is because HTC has added CDMA support for Android on this phone. Early adopters like myself have taken not of issues / bugs with the phone. I hope that this serves as a good resource for anyone who has run into these issues.
1. Excessive battery drain - This, as it's been determined, is a bug in the way the HTC Messages app interfaces with the dialer. Aftersending a text message it puts a lock on the dialer preventing it from going to sleep. There are two workarounds until a fix is released.
a. Use an alternate messaging app like Handcent or Chompsms, I prefer Handcent.
b. Kill the dialer app after sending an SMS with a task manager app.
Source: Battery Workaround
2. Headset is detected rather than headphons, providing monosound. There is a temp fix in the form of a toggle switch. You can place it on your desktop.
Source: Fix
Link to the App: Toggle

Here's a full list of all issues currently being addressed by HTC/Sprint. Sprint Community Forums

Tips I've picked up on my own....

1. Hold the home button to see the 6 most recent apps used. (This makes for awesome switching between apps when multitasking)
2. Don't use Task Killer, my phone seems to run smoother without it. There are other managers out there if you want use them to kill the dialer for the SMS workaround.
3. The only reason to get the facebook app is for the widget, it's really lightweight.
4. Get Pandora and use the widget. (If you like it)
5. Turn vibration feedback off on the keyboard, it's really bad and throws off your typing.
Settings - > Locale and Text - > Touch Input - > Text Input - > Vibration Feedback
6. Calibrate the virtual keyboard. I like this feature and it improves accuracy.
Settings - > Locale and Text - > Touch Input - > Text Input - > Calibration Tool
7. Don't feel the need to fill up all 7 screens. I have several scenes, some use all 7, some use 3.
8. Link contacts to your facebook profile.
People app - > Select Contact - > Updates and Events tab - > Search or select the profile
9. Easily manage your radios. HTC made some awesome toggles so you don't have to find them in the app store. Toggles are made for GPS, wifi, Bluetooth, Airplan mode, & mobile network.
10. Setup different scenes and save them as needed. This is really an awesome feature and I love it. My phone will be laid out differently for work, home, and social events.
11. Get a larger, class 6 micro SDHC memory card. My 16GB will be in shortly, got it from newegg at a very good price.
12. Don't be afraid to use the phone at 15-10-or even 5% battery. I've been testing this nightly. When I hit around 15% I turn on music, browse the web, send emails, twitter, facebook, and can usually get 2-3 hours still out of it. That's not 2-3 hours constant use, just heavy.
13. If webpage browsing seems jerky or laggy, try disabling plugins. I know that kills flash lite, but may make some websites smoother to scroll through. If you don't need flash, turn it off for that site. Within the browser do the following.
Menu - >More - > Settings - > Uncheck Enable Plugins
Just re-enable when you need flash.
14. Sort and program your own bookmarks. Don't keep the HTC default ones, unless you want them.
15. Hold the menu button to bring up the virtual keybaord.

That's it for now and may be more than anyone wants to read. I'm still happy with my Hero. Android and Sprint may not be for everyone, but I'm really happy with both.

Koo... I'm getting mine this Monday and giving the Pre to my sis. I'm trying to look for a good leather pouch and privacy screen protector, let me know if you know of any good ones out there.

Tai, I haven't seen anything on leather cases or privacy filters. I have seen silicon cases on Sprints site. They are 19.99, but I bet they'll pop-up elsewhere much cheaper.

Yesterday I was using the phone with moderate to heavy use, used Handcent to send my text messages. I made a couple of calls, did a lot of web browsing, some facebook, played with the camera and shut the phone down just below 60%. I woke up this morning and turned it on about 2 1/2 hours ago and it's showing 50% battery.
I really do think I'll get my second day out of this phone at this rate. To compare it to my 3gs, I've made it through 2 days before, but that's not the norm. I'm not saying that 2 days is the norm with the Hero, it's just what I got this weekend. As always mileage will vary according to use.
I did manage my bluetooth, wifi, and gps radios with the toggle switches to maximize my use.

Tai, I haven't seen anything on leather cases or privacy filters. I have seen silicon cases on Sprints site. They are 19.99, but I bet they'll pop-up elsewhere much cheaper.

Search ebay and amazon for "Sprint HTC Hero Hard Case." There are some hard cases with a rubber like coating on them. I haven't used one for the Hero but I've bought one from the same guy selling this one for my brother's blackberry. It's two pieces that snap together and does not have a screen cover.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i got my stuff from handhelditems.com for super cheap. the screen protector they have works great so far and i just got their cheap silicon condom type case for it.

i got my stuff from handhelditems.com for super cheap. the screen protector they have works great so far and i just got their cheap silicon condom type case for it.

Is the screen protector pre-cut or one of those universal? Thanks

Battery update, I used the phone till 11:30pm tonight when it powered off finally. My last charge was Friday night and I was using it heavy all around on Saturday. Today was a bit lighter, pretty much all data use.
2 days of use on a single charge, I'm real happy.

Hmm... I can't get the Battery Workaround to work. Hope HTC will come up with a fix soon!

Back