HTC Evo Problems help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechBoy

2[H]4U
Well I have had my Evo for two weeks now and just in the past few days I have been having weird battery drain issues. Standby last only maybe 5hrs. And just today while I was in the movie theater watching guess what? A movie... Anyways I had a good 50% of my battery left, 1hr later its down to 7% and its smoldering hot literally it felt like I was touching a warm pot off the stove.... Anyone else have these problems? I havent installed anything new this week and didnt have these problems last week. I also checked what programs where running and there wasn't anything that I didn't run last week.

With previous phones, this was always when I was hunting for signal. One thing you can look at is the Time without signal. Settings > About Phone > Battery > Battery Use > Cell Standby...what percentage is time without a signal?

I'm at 38.5 hours since unplugging and have 10% battery remaining...however, my usage is minimal.

From what I've heard, the Evo really sucks in terms of battery life. This is a shame, because a phone that's supposed to be one of the top phones mustn't let you down like that :(

I had battery issues until I set the social networking apps to only update once every six hours. After that, a full day of usage puts my battery around 70%. Those constant updates really suck battery.

I had battery issues until I set the social networking apps to only update once every six hours. After that, a full day of usage puts my battery around 70%. Those constant updates really suck battery.

Yea I turned off all auto updates and heavy usage for a day now gets me to 50%. Not bad at all. But I will be returning the Evo anyways for a iPhone 4 because Sprint honestly just sucks in my area...

I shut off most of the auto stuff and gps...emails still come in auto tho. Now I get from 8am to midnight with 40-50% battery....before I would hit red at around 3pm

I shut off most of the auto stuff and gps...emails still come in auto tho. Now I get from 8am to midnight with 40-50% battery....before I would hit red at around 3pm

Lol I turned of anything auto. No auto Email, updates etc. No GPS no positioning for Maps either. No background data market wont even work now... Just to get better battery life....

Lol I turned of anything auto. No auto Email, updates etc. No GPS no positioning for Maps either. No background data market wont even work now... Just to get better battery life....

I did that for a day, then decided it wasn't worth crippling my phone. Now I just throw it on the car charger when I'm driving and I last a full day with fairly heavy use.

Thats a bit extreme. I literally just slowed down the social network apps updates and it improved everything. Email still comes in regularly, gps, etc.

I use an app called setting profiles full, its like $4 but you can create custom profiles and just keep the widget on your home page. just click the widget and toggle what profile you want. Like for my home/work profile I have it set to turn off GPS, bluetooth .ect all the things I dont use at home, but enable wifi. For travel it turns on gps but turns off wifi and cranks the ringer volume. For meetings and such it turns on wifi, turns off the ringer and turns on vibrate and flashing lights for notifications.

Great for turning off all the features you dont need at the time to save battery, and lets you do it in like 3 seconds. There salso locale, which does it automatically by your gps locations, but costs $10, profile settings does it all minus the gps feature for half the price, and only take 3 seconds to switch profiles anyways. Try it,i think you can uninstall and get a refund if u want to lol.

edit: also small things like screen brightness and backgrounds can kill battery quick, right now my phone says that 44% of my battery goes to just the screen for display, and 15% goes to my live background. I just changed them so add on the profile setting app and my battery life will probably double.

Download task killer and kill all tasks not in use.
Use low or moderate brightness if not outside.
TURN OFF WIFI when not using it.

The biggest killers are: 4G, GPS, and constant data syncing. I simply made syncing slower and the battery is at 50% from 11AM to midnight easily, even after I've streamed ESPN Mobile on the phone...

Also, supposedly battery life improves over time, and in my case, it looks like the case

I understand you guys all telling him about how to conserve battery life but I think what the OP was describing was an actual defect in the phone or just the Battery.

He said that the battery usage went way up in the last few days. Unless he did something to change his settings then this should not happen and he would not complain about a change in battery life unless it was not normal for what he was already seeing over the last few weeks. Also the Heat issue is the scary part for me. if a defective battery is the fault without proper cooling it could cause a fire. remember the laptop batteries a few years ago..

I would take it back to the store and tell them what is going on.

I understand you guys all telling him about how to conserve battery life but I think what the OP was describing was an actual defect in the phone or just the Battery.

He said that the battery usage went way up in the last few days. Unless he did something to change his settings then this should not happen and he would not complain about a change in battery life unless it was not normal for what he was already seeing over the last few weeks. Also the Heat issue is the scary part for me. if a defective battery is the fault without proper cooling it could cause a fire. remember the laptop batteries a few years ago..

I would take it back to the store and tell them what is going on.

Finally some one who understood and read my whole post! :p I am returning the phone anyways. Sprint sucks in my area so I have no reason to keep it.

Sounds more like some app was using resources in the background the entire time. Every once and a while my Nexus One will get terrible battery for a few hours [I use battery graph to map battery usage], and if I do a restart or kill some rogue app with Taskiller, it goes back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back