HSF for AmdAthlon 2500+

RicKuRuKuS

[H]ard|Gawd
It is time for me to get a nice cooling setup... What is the best heatsink and fan that money can buy me right now? I also want to use arctic silver 5 with it. I have an Abit NF7-S motherboard and an AMD Athlon Barton 2500+ processor...

-warsaw

I would reccomend a Zalman7000A-AlCu, but since you have an abit nf7-s board, you will have problems. The clip on the zalman is too long and some capacitators get in the way. If you have a dremmel, you can cut the very last screw hole off and it will fit (thats what I did).

If you don't mind the sound a Thermalright SP-97 with a Vantec Tornado will give you best temp.

i dont mind sound at all... i wear headphones and the hum of a computer fan doestn bother me.. whati s a dremmel?

-warsaw

Originally posted by Akuma
If you don't mind the sound a Thermalright SP-97 with a Vantec Tornado will give you best temp.
i know that thermalright is making the SP-97 but where can you find a place that sells that thing?

Originally posted by warsawtag
i dont mind sound at all... i wear headphones and the hum of a computer fan doestn bother me.. whati s a dremmel?

-warsaw

there would be no "hum" involved it would be a whine

well does it sound like other fans, just a bit louder? i dont want a whining... im fine with loud whirring and humming, but not some whiny noise

-warsaw

Originally posted by warsawtag
well does it sound like other fans, just a bit louder? i dont want a whining... im fine with loud whirring and humming, but not some whiny noise

-warsaw

it is definatly not "just a little louder." i took mine out, because, well, i could hear my rig upstairs, and could no longer hear the tv 4 feet to my left. headphones will definatly NOT drown out this loud mofo

i dont have one but i've heard that they sound like small hair dryers :(

Well it sounds like these are a pain... Any other fan alternatives?

-warsaw

Do what I did. I got a swiftech mcx462 and then got a fan adapter for a 120mm fan. This allows you to get a quieter fan at higher CFM

I had the vantec... too loud. It was difficult hearing someone talking in a raised tone 35 feet away

I use the CoolerMaster Jet7. It cools quiet well and isn't too noise. I get ~38 idle, 45 load and I my case fans are only chugging along at ~1500-1700rpm depending on what my PSU feels like delivering. :D

It looks damn cool as well, lol.
urizen_hsf_balthasar_01.jpg

I would go with the Thermalright 900A, I have it on my system now (just got it three days ago) and all I have is an 80mm antec fan that pushes only 30 cfm and I can't even hear it. Works a lot better than the Volcano 11 I had before. I get 32 idle and 36 load with a room temp of about 22 degrees. I plan on making a fan adaptor for it so I can use a 120mm fan that pushes lots more air (94 cfm) and is very tolerable noise wise!

I have a Vantec Aeroflow on my 2400+ (oc'd to 2263mhz) and my temps never go above 45C, even under heavy load.

The aeroflow is pretty inexpensive and is very quiet, I can't hear it over my other case fans, it just blends in.

swiftech 462-v or an aerocool dp-102 if you can even find one...

get a tornado with a fan controller for noise reduction..

Originally posted by uRizen
I use the CoolerMaster Jet7. It cools quiet well and isn't too noise. I get ~38 idle, 45 load and I my case fans are only chugging along at ~1500-1700rpm depending on what my PSU feels like delivering. :D

It looks damn cool as well, lol.
urizen_hsf_balthasar_01.jpg

Man that is one cool looking HSF. The temps however are not that impressive especially if you're running at stock speeds.

where can i find a 120mm fan adapter? that sounds like a pretty good way to go in terms of good airflow and quietness

-warsaw

Originally posted by md262626
Man that is one cool looking HSF. The temps however are not that impressive especially if you're running at stock speeds.

It would be alot better if I had more air movement within the case. All my fans are running really slow and hardly moving anything. When I had them all hooked up it was running an average of 38c load and sounded like a helicopter. I got some dynamat now though, so I can start cranking things up a bit more.

Back