HP LP2065 dark detail

Ray2097

Limp Gawd
I wanted to know how good this HP is with dark detail... I can get s-ips for sure, so thats the only option we should talk about.

I don't have a calibrator and i expect that when i set the monitor up for everythay use with nice contrast and calm brightness, dark detail won't suffer.

I'd like to hear a few more words about that aspect....thanx

I haven't personally used the monitor but I've seen them in person, with the glossy coating it should provide quite a nice dark using an s-ips panel... I think a lot of people who complain about "dark gray darks" have their brightness too high or their contrast is messed up. (with s-ips panels anyway)

My 2007wfp has an S-ips.. when the brightness is too high .. yeah sure.. the darks aren't dark... but that only happens when I play CS:S.. because everyone knows 99.9% of CS:S players have their brightness jacked to see in the shadows haha.

Honestly though.. I'm not sure on the pricepoint of the 2065.. but I believe i saw it at 290ish

To me thats a lot for a 20" when 24" are 560.. I'd save bank and go 24".. 4 inches on a PC display is a lot.. You would be surprised what you are missing when you go bigger.. I noticed a ton from 17 to 20.1 wide.. I'm soon taking the 24" leap. :)

I think a lot of people who complain about "dark gray darks" have their brightness too high or their contrast is messed up. (with s-ips panels anyway)

I'm sure glossy panels are better, but all matte panels have dark grey blacks if you are playing in a low-light environment.

Thanx for the answer, but you didn't get me.

1. LP2065 doesnt have a glossy screen
2. I'm not talking about "how black is black" but how much shadow detail you can see in dark games and movies. VA screens are relly bad for that because of straight angle viewing problem and thats why i want IPS.

Ivan®;1031143359 said:
2. I'm not talking about "how black is black" but how much shadow detail you can see in dark games and movies. VA screens are relly bad for that because of straight angle viewing problem and thats why i want IPS.

VA panel viewing problem crushes your blacks in the center of the monitor. If you are staring directly into a dark tunnel, you won't see the bad dude standing at the end of it. You'll just see black. If you move to where you are seeing down the tunnel from the side of your monitor, you'll see the bad dude but everything will appear washed out and grey.

IPS panels still have a problem with dark detail and washed out blacks, but you'll never be in a situation where you can't see the bad dude directly in front of you because of crushed blacks.

That's the problem i'm talking about - even TNs don't do that at straight angle. It's just stupid. Who want's to have a better picture from a side (even at that single aspect)?

And now when we're clear what i'm looking for, can you tell me how good HP LP2065 is at it? :)

Actualy, it's not allways a panel type problem. Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS version) had that problem too because of bad electronics/software/whatever. I've never heard anyone mention that on that model. When i bought it (after digging to get an IPS:)), i was amazed with picture quality, but after a short time i was shocked with level of dark detail i couldn't see. Obviously, electronics were crushing dark tones for some strange reason, i could see them roughly disappearing when i tried to turn down the brightness step by step, just like playing with some software setting. IPS monitor just MUST NOT have that problem and 2007WFP has it.

Now i'm looking for a new IPS monitor with that on mind :)
I don't like glossy screens, so 20wgx2 is out...

It's really frustrating to find a complete lcd today...you find something that sounds good - then someone says that it buzzes or some other stupid thing. You replace TN with PVA with better viewing angles, just to find out that it has problems when looked at STRAIGHT ANGLE?!?!? On top of that - panel lotteries... We just need a new display technology :). At this moment i would give 1500$ for 20" FED or OLED...

And someone who has LP2065 could say a few words about it's behavior..

Back