hp firebird 802 w/ voodooDNA $699 + shipping

stainremover

2[H]4U
Link is here:

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=48584501

Pretty hot imo. SLI, quadcore, hell, it's even watercooled.

it's recertified, so that may turn some people off. but it's warrantied by hp for 90 days, so if you do buy it, you'll have plenty of time to bench/load the crap out of it for a week before ditching the box.

if you're extra paranoid, you can purchase a squaretrade 1yr warranty for $80, and it would STILL be a pretty hot deal.

also worth noting, comes with bluetooth mouse and keyboard, a 'gamepad' (whatever that is), and 1 year of AVG antivirus.

Last edited:
Wonder if you could stick a slot load blu ray drive in it and use it for a HTPC? I don't know about the power of those mobile GPU's though...

Wonder if you could stick a slot load blu ray drive in it and use it for a HTPC? I don't know about the power of those mobile GPU's though...

the 803 version (only diff is the proc is 233mhz faster) comes with a bluray drive, so putting your own in seems reasonable

the mobile gpus are these ones:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9800s_us.html

so it's basically sli'd 9600gt's. should be able to game at 720p with everything cranked up, 1080p with most things on high / some medium. definitely not something to scoff at. reviews of the computer have found the graphics power to be adequate. their main complaints were the lack of expandability, not the limited power of the gpus.

Just so you guys know based on a review from pc gamer I read This is a laptop without a screen.

Not a bad deal if you need a slim but you could build a faster real destop for the same price.

It's a damn shame HP killed their Firebird/Voodoo line. They were some of the best-looking, innovative pre-fab gaming PCs ever imo.

Great deal for a small form-factor gaming desktop. The inability to upgrade the GPUs might keep me away thought...

Last edited:
It may not have the power of a full gaming desktop, but it doesn't suck the power either. Look at the power consumption and the footprint before comparing it to something that is a completely different device, like a desktop.

I've owned one for a while and it is a great, fast, quiet budget gaming pc. Can't beat it for the money.

It may not have the power of a full gaming desktop, but it doesn't suck the power either. Look at the power consumption and the footprint before comparing it to something that is a completely different device, like a desktop.

So it's not a laptop... or a netbook... .or a server and .... it sets ontop of a desk. OMFG I geuss it is a desktop. A tiny, slow, power efficient one but really not something completely different.

Last edited:
I've purchased from ecost many times with no issues. They are stationed in Memphis TN and being that I'm in Arkansas I usually receive my packages next day.

I think a great deal for someone looking for a basic machine with some horsepower.

lol build your own. :D

well three things about this machine that i really like are

(1) it's watercooled. the loop is very nice. cpu block, northbridge block, and a block on each of the video cards.
(2) it draws very low power - since it uses two laptop video cards, and it switches to mcp video when not in 3d mode
(3) it is pretty much dead silent. the low power draw for the components (which means a fanless psu) combined with the watercooling make it very quiet.

you pretty much cannot make a pc this quiet and this powerful for the asking price.

you pretty much cannot make a pc this quiet and this powerful for the asking price.
Well, you can, but it won't look as nice. :) (And it'll be much bigger.) I'll refer you to my Sugo1, which houses a Quad and a GTS250 1GB. The only moving parts are 3x 120mm fans (including PSU), all under 1000rpm. It is, without exaggeration, quieter than a 3.5" 7200rpm hard drive.

Well, you can, but it won't look as nice. :) (And it'll be much bigger.) I'll refer you to my Sugo1, which houses a Quad and a GTS250 1GB. The only moving parts are 3x 120mm fans (including PSU), all under 1000rpm. It is, without exaggeration, quieter than a 3.5" 7200rpm hard drive.

the firebird 802 only has 2x120mm fans. plus it comes with 2.5" drives which are quieter than 3.5" 7200rpm drives :)

also, a gts250 1gb will be slower than the two 9800s unless the 512mb limitation comes into play.

Tom's Hardware - Benchmark

i'm not trying to knock on your computer, just trying to dispel false information.

Hmm, that's surprising- I'd been sure that a GTS1024 would beat anything shy of an 8800GT SLI setup. Guess I should upgrade to a GTX260 or GTX275 just to make sure. :p
That said, though, I'd still wager that mine is quieter. Don't know the RPM of the 2x fans in the Blackbird, plus it still has a 2.5" hard drive and a pump compared to my SSD and a third low-speed fan.

You forgot the noise of the graphic card fan

It is a nice little box. In the same light as the Dell optiplex SFF and their new studio hybrid line.

^ was correct - this is a laptop in a desktop skin.

Age old point from people trying to boost their posting number -- you can always build the same thing (of course for cheaper and it will be faster / more powerful / act as a beer keg-erator / etc. The vendors go through the design process to build out these small form factor machines.

We could all put 2 water cooling loops into a Cosmos and put 12 SSDs, triple SLI, a 1.5KW PSU, etc in it. But - the design process that goes into stuffing the amount of hardware these small form factor machines is impressive.

Are people seriously trying to say this is a good deal. Last time I checked this was [H]ard Forum...not, limp dick forum. What a joke of a deal!

It's a damn shame HP killed their Firebird/Voodoo line. They were some of the best-looking, innovative pre-fab gaming PCs ever imo.

Great deal for a small form-factor gaming desktop. The inability to upgrade the GPUs might keep me away thought...

Did you ever buy one?

Thought not.

That's why they killed them.

Back