hp dv4 wont charge battery

wayout2day

Limp Gawd
I am working on two laptops because they have a similar problem: HP Pavilion DV4-1435dx & DV4-1225dx "Entertainment PC". I also have a Compaq CQ-60, which uses the same power connection and battery.

1435dx: The Customer sent it to me saying that it would not charge the battery. So I bought a new compatible battery for it. PC works just fine on charged HP genuine Battery and charged compatible battery power. Using a compatible Power Supply 65W. Won't operate on Power Supply. Won't Charge using the Power Supply. I also tested with a Targus Universal Power Supply--65W max.

1225dx: Put this away for a few years, after replacing the motherboard did not fix it. Using an HP Genuine Power Supply, I was able to operate the laptop just fine, but would not charge the battery. Then put it away for a couple of months until I received the 1425dx from a customer. Unfortunately, in the meantime, I sold the power supply along with another HP laptop. Using the compatible power supply, the laptop will not operate without the battery. Will NOT charge the battery. Runs just fine on a charged HP Genuine battery and the compatible battery.

CQ-60: Using the same compatible power supply, I was able to operate this laptop just fine on the power supply. I was able to charge the batteries to use in the laptops. This has an HP genuine battery.

Ok, final point….the CQ-60 has an HP genuine Battery. It doesn’t seem to hold a charge. BUT, when I put it into the 1435dx, the charging light on the front blinks. This was the same results I got with the other batteries before fully charged them using the CQ-60.

I can’t imagine there is a BIOS issue, since the 1435dx and the 1225dx have different BIOS. Although, both of these BIOS have an update available, I cannot install the updated BIOS without the laptop using a working external power supply.

Wondering if I should replace the power jack. Since the other parts work, this would be the only part left to replace. …but the flashing light would seem to contradict this idea. The part is the same for both laptops. The CQ-60 uses a different part—it is much shorter. The part is cheap, but the letdown after waiting for 4-5 days for it to arrive would be big.

Am I missing something ?

update: i ordered the replacement power jack. Any help here would be welcome....

received and installed the new power jack....no change.....IS THERE a chance that ONLY an OEM HP power supply will work.....trying to fix 2 laptops with this answer.... HELP ?

Haven't heard hp using proprietary ac adapters (unlike dell).

Did you confirm the "compatible" adapters are outputting the correct voltage? 19v vs 19.5v makes a difference. Also, the adapter plug should likewise match. Some tips fits, but polarity could be wrong or the barrel is actually incorrect.

TY TY TY for the comment....i am really confused here.....Interesting....the "compatible" power supply is 19.5v I checked out the OEM HP and it lists 18.5v is there a way to measure the voltage with a multi-meter ? Still, refer to my original post.... the "compatible" power supply charges the C60.....OH, and YES, i have seen the Dell Proprietary power supply, that's why i asked....the listing everywhere show the same power supply for C60 as the dv4.

Yes. You have a multimeter. Just touch one end to the outside of the barrel metal and the other to the metal pin inside the barrel. You'll get a reading. Edit: do note that I have some power adapters that lights up on the indicator led, but has no power at the tip. Might be your case.

That 1v is a big difference. The hp (if rated at 18.5v) absolutely will not work with 19.5V (I've tried this myself).

I looked up the c60... being that it's a Compaq would imply different circuit designs. As such, that model/board might be okay with 19.5V whereas the HP design require 18.5v

I'm actually impressed that the batteries are cross compatible.

So, I kind of agree here before further experimentation....the 1225dx worked with the OEM power supply. My investigation online says the OEM is 18.5v. I will line one up ! I just didn't want to chase my tail and spend another $15-$20 if the power supply wasn't the issue. Thanks so much. I will post after I check this out.

I found this little tidbit from hp about their power adapters

In short: hp does have an identification pin in their adapter. I'm not sure when it was implemented as it also mentions UEFI.

If I recall correctly, dv4 came about before uefi. Still I'd wager the issue is that you'll need the 18.5V adapter.

Did the customer bring in an adapter?

hp smart adapter 01.JPG hp smart adapter 02.JPG

Yay ! HF is back online.... these are the pages your link to the HP.COM site shows.....

ok, the compatible (19.5v) power supply was sent along with the computer.....

i checked paypal and there is an HP OEM (18.5v) for $15 and a compatible (18.5v) for $6. yes, these little charges are killers.... any further input before i decide which to buy ? i will contact the client for the final decision. TYTYTY for the input and help here !!

I think HP only works with OEM now. 90% sure that was the case with my probook. Dell is the same way. My lenovo works with a universal (targus)

ok ... my eyes are hurting .... found HP's page for the original part numbers for the 1225dx and 1435dx power supplies.....of course there is a new part number....but using the old part number [609939-001] I was able to find a used one on ebay for $8.99.....OEM (18.5v).....it is going to take a week to get it. i will try it then and report back (11/08/2016). Any comments before that are welcome. tyty for the help so far !

HI, the power supply that was shipped had the wrong end on it....need the one with a pin in the middle....yes, they shipped this to me a month ago, but it hasn't worked since July, so it was not a rush job for them. Waiting for the right power supply to arrive.

I do want to note that I have forwarded copies of notes from this post to the Client along with complete updates at each stage of the repairs and inquiries surrounding the repairs. So they are up to date and on the same page with me.

Last edited:
WELL WELL WELL...the OEM power supply arrived, this one with the correct end---pin in the middle....the side power light came on....the laptop powered up....the icon says 0% available, charging....so next i will test if the "compatible" battery is a problem....BUT conclusion is that you MUST have the OEM HP charger....this is a "SMART" power supply.....more later after I determine if the battery actually charges....thanks for all the help so far !

OK.....final report....Compatible Battery HAS FULLY CHARGED ! so, conclusions..... for the HP DV4-1435dx entertainment laptop... you MUST use an HP OEM Power Supply 65w. A compatible battery will operate the laptop and charge properly. This is because of "Smart" technology. On the motherboard, there is a smart connector (whether this is some kind of capacitor i don't know my knowledge is limited there). there is some kind of Smart connection detection in the power supply also. This shuts off the charging of the batter when it is fully charged. The Smart connection detection is not available in the compatible power supply. There is also Smart software drivers on the laptop. Thank you all for your assistance in solving this problem. The solution was NOT detailed on the HP website.

Back