HP ARM-Based Server Prototype

Red Falcon

[H]ard DCOTM December 2023
HP is working with Calxeda to make Moonshot ARM-based servers, very exciting for the industry and server technology in general!

Hopefully this will mean we will start seeing some ARM-based desktops and other rackmount systems.

redstoneplatformfull.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/02/hp-and-calxedas-moonshot-arm-servers-will-bring-all-the-boys-to/

With ARM all the rage because of power efficiency I do wonder where they fit in servers. Massively parallel stuff makes sense.

With ARM all the rage because of power efficiency I do wonder where they fit in servers. Massively parallel stuff makes sense.

HP said that rather than having them focus on larger tasks and HPC, which Xeon, Itanium, and Opteron based systems work on, these ARM based systems would focus on smaller tasks with many processes.

They might be running x86 emulation of some kind, which I personally doubt, or they are using a different cluster of x86-based systems instead.

These systems are very impressive though.

I wonder how well these things would be at emulation of some of the latest consoles out there (PS2/PS3/XBox 360/etc)

Honestly, there would be a ton of overhead considering the emulation layer between ARM and x86 code, let alone another variant of RISC processors like the POWER architecture used in modern consoles.

Unless the emulation coding was highly symmetric, I doubt performance would be that hot.
But only time will tell.

Back