How to tell for dead video card?

Ang

Gawd
So, we have a 7800GTX.

Then randomly while playing Counter-Strike:Source, it starts acting up artifacts and random pixels and polygons everywhere. Now everytime we try to boot the computer, it loads up the windows screen. There are blue lines everywhere fading in and out non stop. then it just goes to a black screen and doesn't load windows.

edit: if i plug it into onboard it works. How to differentiate from BAD PSU or bad VIDEO CARD?? Could unstable drivers be a problem too? When I load it into safe mode it works fine.

Hmm take your card out and examine it and make sure the fan is working. And if its not it probably overheated and somthing either melted or shorted out. But your computer not being able to produce video is a sure sign that its busted.. i hope it wasnt a newish buy for you. =X

Load up HWMonitor and take a look at what kind of temp's it's running with. If it's anything over 60 idle, you've got a heat problem.

The temps are under 60 degrees. Umm..

We got it used for free.. and the problems just started occurring. I can hear the fan spin up at start and I also have a PCI fan next to it exhausting heat.

edit: ATi tool says -180 degrees celsius XD

Back