How to stop Internet Connectin Pop-ups in Windows ME?

2k2_zx2

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a friend that wants me to "fix" their problem in Windows ME.

They have dialup internet and they keep getting popups to connect to the internet. There is nothing running that needs to connect. When you close the little window, the connection window pops right back up. Sometimes it will stay off for about a minute and then pop right back up to connect.

Is there an easy "fix" to this? I'd rather tell him how to fix it then to have him bring that computer over to my house. I'm sure just its being in my house with Windows ME will corrupt my computers.

If he clicks on the settings there is an option to disable autologin. I'm sure coz I had that many many times when I had windows ME, but I can't give you the exact steps since I have XP installed now. But it's easy to find. Something about autologin, then he should uncheck the choice which says the name of his connection so it won't try to autologin in the future

I'll tell him that and see if that helps. I've been using XP since it came out and only get my old Windows disc out to do a reformat as my XP disc is the upgrade version.

Can always count on this forum for advice.

It sounds like a combination of two things, internet connection settings are set to dial automatically when the internet is needed, and some programs on the computer are actually trying to access the internet. Those two things combined cause constant dial requests, and killing either problem should clear it up

To kill auto dialing:
1. Start Internet Explorer
2. Use the "Tools" menu, and select "Internet Options..."
3. Select the "Connections" tab
4. Highlight the raidio button next to "Never dial a connection"
5. Press the "OK" button
• Your friend will have to manually connect to the internet before using it from then on, but it shouldn't ask to connect automatically anymore. The downside is that some auto-update apps will have a lot of trouble finding a time they can update.

The ultimate soultion is an always-on broadband connection.

Back