How to ship a 90lb amp?

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an 85 lb Parasound amp I need to ship back to the manufacturer. about 18x20x9 inches. If I double box it with packing foam and peanuts in the middle, is that enough to protect it?

Are solid state amps fragile?

I have an 85 lb Parasound amp I need to ship back to the manufacturer. about 18x20x9 inches. If I double box it with packing foam and peanuts in the middle, is that enough to protect it?

Are solid state amps fragile?

I would say take it to the UPS store and let them decide. When they pack it, they take liability for not much more cost.

I recently bought a pair of vintage Kenwood L07M monoblocks (~35-40 lb a piece) off of ebay and the seller took them to a UPS store for shipment. They wrapped them in about 6-7 layers of bubble wrap, then threw them together in a large box full of peanuts.

When they got to me, the box looked pretty beat up, but when I cut it open and took them out they were just fine...

You want it foam packaged in a heavy duty box.
UPS has the boxes and foam packs and they are around $5 each for the large foam pouches.
You are going to be raped on shipping since there is an extra poundage fee over 70lbs.

$189 @ the UPS store, They helped me pack it and I bought some extra padding in a double box. I guess its worth it to protect it though and the manufacturer will be able to repair it better than anyone locally.

You may have been able to save maybe $50 on shipping if you went to a UPS Customer Counter location vs a UPS Store.

USPS wont take shipments this heavy. , Zepher, thx, I will try that next time.

You may have been able to save maybe $50 on shipping if you went to a UPS Customer Counter location vs a UPS Store.

Yeah no doubt. The UPS stores are more expensive than the UPS customer counters.

UPS Store - The Mom and Pop shops
Customer Counter - The large warehouse where packages are delivered and put on trucks.

Back