How to repair a joystick?

Quartz-1

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got a Saitek Cyborg 3D joystick and the Y axis doesn't seem to work properly. The physical movement is fine and it calibrates, but it just doesn't seem to send the right signals to the PC. It's been standing unused for quite some time and I imagine either some dust has got in or it needs some lubrication.

How do I repair it?

Garbage can. There are electronics hardware hacking groups, maybe your city has one? There are groups that build arcade cabinets. If you can't find anything...

www.Meetup.com

Usually it's more effort than it's worth. How much is your time worth? In any case, I doubt anyone will be able to guide you much on here. Take it apart and try and figure out what's going on.

Yup. Take it apart, clean it, if nothing jumps out at you are being out of place toss it.

I've got a Saitek Cyborg 3D joystick and the Y axis doesn't seem to work properly. The physical movement is fine and it calibrates, but it just doesn't seem to send the right signals to the PC. It's been standing unused for quite some time and I imagine either some dust has got in or it needs some lubrication.

How do I repair it?

Since it's been sitting unused, I'd bet that it's a dirty potentiometer. If you disassemble the stick you can spray a short blast of electrical contact cleaner into the pot, and rotate it a bit while it's still wet.

Be careful which contact cleaner you use, because some contact cleaners will instantly melt some plastics.

This vid will give you some idea,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg-W1_FAuBE

Back