How to remove videocard heatsink and put a new one on?

MonkeyzOwn

Gawd
the fan on my heatsink on my chaintech geforce4 ti4200 died and im scared to leave it running all the time because it would die from getting too hot.... so question being, how do i remove the heatsink? its like, glued onto the chip somehow (thermal glue perhaps?) and i wanna get it off and put some new thermal glue on there and a new heatsink/fan but i dont know how to do this or what to use.......

could this be done for about 30 bucks and possibly overclock it some?

ramsinks and POSSIBLY FANS would bbe nice too :)

take off the screws or fasteners on the heatsink whiich you have already done, then whip out the good ol hair dryer. After a few minutes of blasting the heatsink it should come right off.

there should be pins in the card/through the card. Turn the card over, squeeze them together, and then push them out (make sure you pull them completely THROUGH the card). There are two. The heatsink should just be interfaced by thermal compound (probably a lot of it), twist, dont pry. with enough coaxing, it'll come off... the hair dryer idea is an alright one, but be careful because you could damage it by static discharge.

If you want a cooling solution for under $30, thermaltake makes a gf4 specific cooler. It's not exactly the hottest on the market, or the best cooling performance, but you get a nice copper heatsink and cheap aluminum ramsinks (for the BGA variety of gf4 Tis). The performance is pretty good, and the fan moves a VERY surprisingly high amt of air. Caveat: it's FUKING LOUD. and WHINY. OMGAR. you can remedy this slightly by taking off the plastic piece on top that says "thermaltake" or whatever. The base is a little rough too, i'd take some 220 sand paper to it just to get it flat, some 400 to smooth out the deeper scratches of the 220, and some 600 to make it smooth. You can get pretty close to mirror finish with 600 grit, if not, flip the sand paper over, and the backs of the sandpaper are very slightly gritty, probably something about 10,000 grit ;D

I think that would do you, IMO, but i'm sure someone will come along and recommend the latest, most heavy duty piece of equipment to you...

It'll probably run you about ~$15-20 bucks.

My 2 cents.

Back