How to OC my i7 3930k?

SLP Firehawk

Limp Gawd
Hi. I've looked at a few tutorials but now I'm asking for guidance from you guys on where to go for solid help on Overclocking specifically my 2013 i7 3930k 3.2GHz.
I have ASUS P9X79 Pro MB.
I am trying to increase my 3ds Max and Premiere Pro performance. Stability is very important and I also don't want to shorten the life of my CPU.
I will be either running a 280mm AIO or 240mm or 140mm Air cooler.
I am running WIn 7 Pro 64.

I have no idea what would be a safe OC, 4.0GHz? According to what I read 4.0GHz is nothing for these and they are good for considerably higher.
Please guide me to where I can learn what is involved and do this safely and successfully

Last edited:
Hi guys. One of the nice contributers here shared this advice for overclocking my 3930k. Where do I start? Can this be done from BIOS screen or do I need a separate program to do this?
I'd like to get it to 4GHz to see if that helps my software run a bit better and if not then possibly replace it with a Xeon.

"Overclocking if done safely should net you decent gains without risking you cpu longevity. Just make sure you keep your voltages reasonable (under 1.5vcore iirc). 4-4.2ghz should be as simple as setting the multi to 40-42 and vcore to somewhere between 1.2 and 1.3. 4.5ghz+ should be obtainable if you really want to dive into it. "

Depends on the chip, I have a very similar set up.

I got 4.6 fairly easily but I was running a full custom loop.

It won't degrade your processor much, I've been running mine for near 7 years overclocked with air, AIO, custom loop, back to AIO, and a few air coolers in the middle.

With that said I never did have as much success with AIO/Air cooling, but the processor overclocked well.

Hi guys. One of the nice contributers here shared this advice for overclocking my 3930k. Where do I start? Can this be done from BIOS screen or do I need a separate program to do this?
I'd like to get it to 4GHz to see if that helps my software run a bit better and if not then possibly replace it with a Xeon.

"Overclocking if done safely should net you decent gains without risking you cpu longevity. Just make sure you keep your voltages reasonable (under 1.5vcore iirc). 4-4.2ghz should be as simple as setting the multi to 40-42 and vcore to somewhere between 1.2 and 1.3. 4.5ghz+ should be obtainable if you really want to dive into it. "
do not feed your intel chip 1.5v that will shorten its life. what does your chip boost to now? add a couple hundred MHz(multiplier) and a bit of voltage(+0.05v-ish) and call it a day.

Thanks again everyone.

do not feed your intel chip 1.5v that will shorten its life. what does your chip boost to now? add a couple hundred MHz(multiplier) and a bit of voltage(+0.05v-ish) and call it a day.
According to the specs: 3200 MHz. Maximum turbo frequency. 3500 MHz (5 or 6 cores) 3600 MHz (4 cores)
I don't know if mine has every turboed that fast. Mine seems to run around 3501 MHz until it's hot and then varies frequency. My old 120mm AIO is not enough butI'm going to replace it

Back