How to mount a 120mm fan in an optical drive rack?

ZeroBullet

Gawd
I'm running out of ways to keep my stupid video card cool, and I'm tired of having to play games with the side of my computer case off :\

Is there any kind of mounting mechanism for sale such that I can position a 120mm fan using the optical drive cage? Thanks!

try some twist or zip ties... or some other rig like that, would take up 3 drive bays for a 120mm tho. I have one of the antec cases and i twist tied a 3rd fan to the front of the case.

wanna know what i did? i got an old MSI pci usb port, took all the wiring out so it was a hollow box like on the pci cover, then i got an extra 60 mm fan and scothced tape the fan on it, then i got what use to be a pci slot exhauster, flipped it around, taped that next to 60mm fan. and stuck it in my pci slot, my idle temp for my video card went from 51C to 42C

scotch tape is the answer, its what i use to mount my 120mm fan in the back of my case..

Try a new case, it shouldn't be that card to cool a video card, if it is you need to budget your money on computer casing better.

A quick ghetto way of getting the fan is there would be to just use zipties, stretch them from each corner of the fan to screw holes in the 5.25" cage and it should be fairly easily suspended in mid air. ;)

Zip ties....try lows.

As for my solution when I had a case I needed this for. Follow the following steps.

1. Get a fan you like and your case.
2. You will need a nice chunk of poster bored to use as ether the mounting surface or as a outline.
3. Measure 3 optical bay slots high on your case. Some cases space them strange so measure your own.
4. Cut the cardboard to fit the area with enough room on the side to fold over and be screwed in.
5. Pull the cardboard out and center the fan on it. Cut a hole out for the fan. Use a CD for this. Make almost a perfect fit. Cut to the inside. Then mount the Fan to the cardboard.
6. Mount the cardboard to the case pug in fan.

(OPTINAL)

7. Get some light weight metal plate or metal screen (I used metal mesh / screen) and use the paper for an outline. Cut the metal to fit where the cardboard was. Make sure you can bend the sides right.

I did this on an older case. Sorry I don't have that system any more so I can't show you pictures.

But if done right it looks really nice. Just make sure to mount the fan on the inside.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Possible to mount a pair of 60mm fans in two drive bays, then? And maybe a 6' CCFL to cover that ugly 20mm gap at the top, because two bays would be 80 x 120.

Back