How to Lower Ram speed on UP3D to OC Q9550?

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
I went back and rebuilt my old Q9550 system and it had the settings saved for 4ghz in the BIOS but the original ram was faster (crucial ballistix tracers) and would overclock pass 900mhz but now since that ram is bad I have to use some slower generic based DDR2 (800mhz). Now Im running 4x2GB instead of 2x2GB as well.

How can I lower my ram speed to run in the 800mhz range but still overclock to 3.8-4ghz?
Is there a setting in the BIOS to lower the ram speed?

isn't it like any p35 , p45 board, you select memory frequency manualy at a lower frequency
and when u up the fsb , it raises the memory speed ?

I looked in the BIOS but I didnt see any option to lower the ram ratio. I cant run the FSB:RAM at a 1:1 because the ram will run too fast right?

Im trying to run at 3.8Ghz (FSB 475 x 8) but that is setting my ram speed to high and the pc fails to load Windows.

can't run at 1:1. your bios should have more ram ratios.

Can you loosen guys up ram latency ??

I looked in the BIOS but I didnt see any option to lower the ram ratio.

Meh, that's not right, you're doing it wrong. From the mobo's manual:
If you do not find the settings you want in the Main Menu or a submenu, press <Ctrl>+<F1> to access more advanced options

The multi is under the
********DRAM Performance Control ********

(G)MCH Frequency Latch [Auto] <- Probably you must adjust this too, but only after
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [Auto] <- THIS

That mobo has a very good BIOS, with options that you could see only in enthusiast boards. :)

There's a Gigabyte EP45-UD3 Series Owners Guide, only 2096 pages long :p

A FSB of 450 gives you 3.825. Are you using the 8.5 multiplier ?

jime

Yes I am using an 8.5 multiplier.

I set the ram at 333Mhz
(G)MCH Frequency Latch [Auto]
and System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [Auto]

at 425Mhz FSB the ram runs at 850Mhz. Is there no way to lower it to 800?

Why not just reset the BIOS? Load defaults. Isn't that kind of obvious or am I missing something?

Sorry I should be more specific.

How can I run the processor at 3.8-4.0ghz and keep the ram from going over its 800Mhz spec?

I know with the 2500, 2600k ries you could overclock the cpu without changing the ram speed but this the older P45 chip set do I have to overclock the RAM to oc the CPU?

I don't think it'll run without raising the ram timings. I know I couldn't get it to run that way, or at least stable when testing. That's why I opted for 1066 ram. Stable as can be.

Highest I could get it stable is at 3.6ghz (425mhz on the ram) I guess I will wait and leave it at that speed since I dont have any other to try. Thanks for the help though.

The lowest memory multiplier is 2.00 with P45 motherboards :(
The available options are [2.00] , [2.40] , [2.50] , [3.00] , [3.20], [2.66] , [3.33] , [4.0+]

Memory Frequency = Host Clock (FSB) * Multiplier

Your RAM can achieve 850 MHz only, as jime said, for 3.8-4 GHz you have to buy 1066 RAM, because that will run at 941 MHz, CPU @ 4 GHz, 8.5 clock ratio.

Back